Mid afternoon start time

I start work between 13.30 and 16.00 and usually finish around 03.00, 5 or 6 days a week. With those times I have no family or social life and spend my time working, sleeping and watching the clock. It involves heavy work dragging heavy cages of food into shops which I don’t really mind. Its just the start time I can’t handle. So what do you think? Is it a ■■■■ start time? Would you do it?
I’m 50 with 27 years driving, euro and the usual stuff.

edit: when I say social life I don’t mean going to the pub.

Sounds alright to me. I’ve always liked backshift. I hate eastenders but like my mornings to myself.

Yes it is. You wouldn’t do it by choice though would you? The only reason shifts like this exist is to allow ■■■■ staff and management to be crap at what they do and cover it up!

Don’t forget that in these 'ard times you should be grateful to have such a nice job. You DON’T have any rights but you DO have a choice so enjoy!

Not keen on trolley dolley work though, not your age or mine. :frowning:

i wouldn’t do that shift or that kind of work,but if its bringing a wage in then needs must i suppose :slight_smile: im on agency at mo 0200 start and trunk to northampton, back home by dinnertime, i spent best part of 25 years working away from home, near zilch of a social life, never saw kids grow up, i now get time to do what i want instead of trying to cram it in on a weekend, but good wages mean no personal life, and want a personal life then maybe ya have to sacrifice a good wage, havent found a happy medium to get both yet. not in this industry anyway :slight_smile:

Everyone wants to shop 24/7 I used to start between 00.00 and 04.00 going to bed at 2 or 3 in the afternoon getting up at 11 at night to do it all again and that was roadside deliveries crap but better than £64 a week JSA!!

WTF!!! If you don’t like the start/finish times see if you can change them. If you can’t then get another job with hours to suit :unamused:

peter s:
I start work between 13.30 and 16.00 and usually finish around 03.00, 5 or 6 days a week. With those times I have no family or social life and spend my time working, sleeping and watching the clock.

It involves heavy work dragging heavy cages of food into shops which I don’t really mind. Its just the start time I can’t handle.

So what do you think? Is it a [zb] start time? Would you do it?

I prefer 1400 starts. I’m not tired when I START work and I get plenty of miles under my belt before all the tea time traffic builds up.

It’s the cages and shop deliveries that would hiss me off.

Social life ■■? You’re a truck driver - you don’t get a social life. :frowning:

i work similar hours to these,and i find there are advantages and disadvantages…on the plus side,i rarely drive in rush hour traffic,i always get as much sleep as nature intended and there is also time in the week to get jobs around the house done…so that when i wake up around saturday lunch time,my weekend is totally free :sunglasses: .
its also nice to be able to go out sunday night without clock watching :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . the only downer is on long summer nights,when my supposed mates keep texting me pictures of beer whilst they are sat in the garden :smiling_imp: . however....summer is gone now, so i dont have to worry about that for a while :slight_smile:

good hours
full night allowance
get up early and have whole morning/lunchtime to do what you want

Dieseldoforme:

peter s:
I start work between 13.30 and 16.00 and usually finish around 03.00, 5 or 6 days a week. With those times I have no family or social life and spend my time working, sleeping and watching the clock.

It involves heavy work dragging heavy cages of food into shops which I don’t really mind. Its just the start time I can’t handle.

So what do you think? Is it a [zb] start time? Would you do it?

I prefer 1400 starts. I’m not tired when I START work and I get plenty of miles under my belt before all the tea time traffic builds up.

It’s the cages and shop deliveries that would hiss me off.
for lorry drivers-no pub,no shop,no sauna,no lady.YOU MUST REST 45 HOURS :smiley: :laughing: .JUST SLIP AND CHECK YOU BALANCE AT BANK ACOUNT. :smiley:

Social life ■■? You’re a truck driver - you don’t get a social life. :frowning:

I used to work for Reality (Yodel) now,out of blackpole Worcester on demounts wagon&drag most start times were 1230pm finish midnight,or 2359 finish 0900,for me was great you have your morning free on the midday start or your afternoons free on the night shift.Loved it :smiley:.We had a rota so as 1 week earlies next midday afternoons then nights worked well with plenty of free time.

I’m on a similar time scale tbh. I start anywhere between 10pm-2am, finish between 6-8, 6 days a week. It is ■■■■■■ but at least I don’t get chance to spend the money I’m earning…

Sounds spot on that, I hate early mornings…

I used to work midday to 11pm,11 shifts per fortnight and didn’t feel like i had any time to myself.
Get home 2320,have something to eat,shower watch a bit of TV then bed.
Wake up at 9 ish,breakfast,read paper then time to get ready for work.
Felt like i was work,sleep,work.
Only did it for 9 mths,that was plenty.