Michelin TruckNet Survey - Question 3

Hello everybody,

We are now a week into the Michelin TruckNet Survey, and the response has been fantastic - thank you very much for your involvement so far.

Onto our 3rd question in the series:

How important is safety to you when choosing your truck tyres?

Also, please see below a link to our recent “United For Your Safety” video:

youtube.com/watch?v=zVOvAzyzWJs

I like to buy what I would call a good quality tyre and in doing so I expect them to be safe!
would anyone buy a tyre or a number of tyres to use knowing that they were not safe/fit for purpose?
we all know Michelin are a good quality tyre, they are also the most expensive!
as for the safest I don’t know !

Moose:
I like to buy what I would call a good quality tyre and in doing so I expect them to be safe!
would anyone buy a tyre or a number of tyres to use knowing that they were not safe/fit for purpose?
we all know Michelin are a good quality tyre, they are also the most expensive!
as for the safest I don’t know !

pretty much what ^^^^^^^ said

^^yes ditto.

I’ve had some unknown chinese make put on at the road side, these have then split round the side wall and were changed before they went bang. I now insist on certain makes only being fitted, none would be michelin though.

What moose said, pretty much.

Safety is an important consideration when choosing a tyre, hence the reason I do not now fit “encore” tyres.

coiler:

Safety is an important consideration when choosing a tyre, hence the reason I do not now fit “encore” tyres.

when i worked for the last guy before i started on my own, he had some Encore tyres fitted to the truck i was driving, i found them to be pretty good, never had a problem with them

Depends which axle they’re on and what kind of work they’ll be doing.

I suppose quality & safety are intertwined. Isn’t it the case that all new tyres sold in the uk have to pass some sort of safety test? I’d be surprised if that wasn’t the case. I would pay more for a tyre if I knew point blank it was less likely to fail catastrophically than another brand. All the premium brands are much the same in terms of quality I would say.

Provided its a known premium brand its obviously safe, gone are the days of recuts on the steering axle !!! And with a daily walk around check things like cuts get noticed.

I had Encore on my truck and had no problem with them. I always had michelin but last year I had to swap due to the price. It was the case of not what I liked but what I could afford.

The tyre I wouldn’t have on a truck would be Bridgestone. They didn’t wear well at all.

3 wheeler:
Provided its a known premium brand its obviously safe, gone are the days of recuts on the steering axle !!! And with a daily walk around check things like cuts get noticed.

what do you mean “gone are the days of re cuts on the steer axle”?
if done right it’s not a problem, that’s why it states on the tyre wall that it can be re cut!
I admit if re cut to deep down to the cords it’s a waste of time

Safety probably becomes subsumed in the likely loss of time that fitting a poor quality product results. Long life = safety.

Depends on where the tyre is for I suppose.

I wouldn’t have ever put anything other than a new decent brand tyre on the steer axle for example, in that hope that it reduced the risk of a blowout to as near zero as possible and therefore reduced the risk of a big accident.

Elsewhere I used to still use decent brands - Bridgestones, Michy Remixes and the odd Hankook - and my consideration where was mainly financial (i.e. price compared to wear rate and risk of an expensive roadside callout) but with a view to safety as a secondary concern.

Paul

Moose:
what do you mean “gone are the days of re cuts on the steer axle”?
if done right it’s not a problem, that’s why it states on the tyre wall that it can be re cut!
I admit if re cut to deep down to the cords it’s a waste of time

Each to their own I suppose, but I would think even a properly cut premium brand tyre will run a slightly higher risk of blowout than a non cut one and given that the majority of people these days run 6x2 units so you have a lift axle that you can use to finish off your steer axle tyres.

Personally I would never have put cut tyres on the steer axle of my unit, and I don’t think any of the people I currently drive for would either. I used to take them off when they were down to about 3mm and finish them off (including cutting them as needed) on the midlift. If the midlift needed tyres before the steers were down to 3mm I would just change the steers for new ones anyway to give me something to use on the lift axle.

Paul

It’s not putting a cut tyre on the front though is it, by that I mean we don’t take a tyre off to cut it we cut it in place!
ie front tyre is getting a bit low so stick the cab up jack up the wheel and cut in place, at the same time check brake adjustment and king pin wear!
we don’t cut to deep though due to the casing been no good for a remould if you cut to the wire, on motorway shopping trolley work a cut tyre that’s been done right is not likely to blow, damage to the side walls driving up and down kerbs and such like will cause more problems, and yet I’ve not heard many drivers on here complaining about that and at the same time they are experts on the subject of cutting tyres causing blow outs!

shuttlespanker:

coiler:

when i worked for the last guy before i started on my own, he had some Encore tyres fitted to the truck i was driving, i found them to be pretty good, never had a problem with them

I only tried encore tyres on the trailers, out of 12 tyres all bar one either blew out or had to be removed due to sidewall bulges. The only one that didn’t blow out I took off and sold it before it blew out. Not a good safety record in my eyes, glad I didn’t try any on the drives or mid lifts. They May be fine for bin wagons but not for my job. They are not cheap for a third life tyre either.