Michelin TruckNet Survey - Question 1

Hello everybody,

We have a really exciting plan for the next few weeks. We would really like to gauge the opinion of the TruckNet community on various truck, tyre and Michelin related subjects, so we are going to be starting the:

“Michelin TruckNet Survey”.

Every week, we’ll be posting out two questions, one on Tuesday and another on Thursday, on myriad topics, so keep an eye on the forums and please get involved — the more the merrier and we hope we can spark some conversations and get lots of feedback from you guys — the real trucking experts.

So to kick things off — this week’s first question is:

Have you ever heard of Truckfest? If so, have you attended an event and what did you enjoy the most?

Heard of it, never attended to date, often intend to but stuff crops up.

Yes, went once and the best bit was leaving the swamp and going home. Not in any rush to repeat the experience!

Went back in 92 and 93, don’t get time to go nowadays

I always like to try and go between my annually booked HGV driving experience day and Busman’s holiday.

One can never have enough cheap biros with truck manufacturer’s logos screen printed on them.

Michelin Truck UK:
Hello everybody,

We have a really exciting plan for the next few weeks. We would really like to gauge the opinion of the TruckNet community on various truck, tyre and Michelin related subjects, so we are going to be starting the:

“Michelin TruckNet Survey”.

Every week, we’ll be posting out two questions, one on Tuesday and another on Thursday, on myriad topics, so keep an eye on the forums and please get involved — the more the merrier and we hope we can spark some conversations and get lots of feedback from you guys — the real trucking experts.

So to kick things off — this week’s first question is:

Have you ever heard of Truckfest? If so, have you attended an event and what did you enjoy the most?

Sorry but :laughing: :laughing: .

What the hell has that got to do with tyres and Michelin?

Good morning,

Thanks for your comments so far. I just wanted to give a bit more information on Truckfest and why Michelin are involved.

Truckfest is an event for truck enthusiasts and anyone who is involved in the road haulage industry, business and families alike. The events take place at several venues in the UK. Michelin was present at Truckfest Peterborough that took place at the beginning of May attracting over 90,000 visitors throughout the weekend.

You can visit the Michelin stand during the Edinburgh event that takes place on the first weekend of August at the Royal Highland Centre, Ingliston where there will be a truck tyre display, merchandise sale, the racing bugs challenge and a group of Michelin hosts will be on hand to answer any questions that you have about your truck tyres.

You can read more about Truckfest at truckfest.co.uk

I hope this helps with the reason for our question and we hope to see lots of you at Truckfest, Edinburgh, even if its just for a cuppa or a free pen!

TF Peterborough 2013 008.jpg

TF Peterborough 2013 012.jpg

Thank you for the clarification Michelin dare I suggest in future you appreciate the supreme intelligence of those in this industry and you present accordingly or I may
find it neccessary to turn our Rottweiler 'RobK ’ loose,not pleasant I can assure you.

i go regular, taking trucks, have been taking trucks to the Peterborough event every year since 2008, have done the Newark event since it restarted 2 years ago, i did plan on going to the new event at Malvern this coming weekend, but, unfortunately, i have too many other commitments

Yes and Yes. Shepton Mallet 2009. Best part was watching the recovery guys do their thing.

Clunk:
Yes and Yes. Shepton Mallet 2009. Best part was watching the recovery guys do their thing.

Clever how they do it isn’t it,they have nice kit as well. I’ve been too Shepton mallet the last few years but the new venue is a bit too far now. I do enjoy it any thing shiny and all that :slight_smile:.

Guys, While Michelin want to sell tyres (it is their business after all) they sponsored this forum and more than aware that tyres are only part of an owner drivers problems, or even aspirations.
In all the conversations we hade with them while negotiating this sponsorship it became clear that Michelin want to understand the pressures that you guys are under, and also what motivates you to do this when truck ownership, it is so obviously quite high risk and low reward. This is one of the first times (certainly since I can remember) that a major multinational has opened itself up to open discussion and conversation at this level , and it is a learning curve on all sides, some questions put may seem a little naive from your side, I am sure some of the answers provided may raise a few eyebrows from the other- but you guys have a chance here of a clear dialogue.

members here are constantly telling they are sick of not being listened too , here you have a start, there will be a few stumbling blocks while you lot and Michelin try to find the common ground, But please give Michelin the credit that they are trying and willing to talk to you, learn about you.

Michelin would not have entered this unique sponsorship if they were not keen to learn and hear from their potential customers about just what is important to them, Flippant remarks does not help either you or Michelin.
As small business owners you have an opportunity to have an inside road to a major player in the industry - that has influence far beyond the tyre industry , I hope that you take advantage of this and get your issues across in a polite and respectful manner, in turn the small guy may gain a major ally- I cant make that happen only you guys can

Rikki relax nothing was stated with offence indeed Michelin stand to gain a great deal from an association with tyre users indeed again,they already have.

Well, I’ve been once to Peterborough with a couple of pals, didn’t take the truck though it was just for the laugh. I wouldn’t be that interested in talking
Tyres at a show I’m afraid unless you were giving out money off coupons or cheap nice clothing or some such or at least had lots of scantily clad goddesses on the stand.

I suppose you could give out glossy brochures and that explaining your product range to others who may be more up for it.

You’re preaching to the choir with me, my days of poor rubber are over as I don’t run light anymore. You can put any old tat on if you run light.

Just out of interest, do you do a heavy duty on motorway tyre for consistantly heavy loads like the Goodyear high load tyre? Link me if you can.

Armagedon:
Rikki relax nothing was stated with offence indeed Michelin stand to gain a great deal from an association with tyre users indeed again,they already have.

Just me Boss, I am very relaxed - it is Wednesday :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: (apologies to all those not “in” on the in joke)

Heard of Truckfest, never been and never plan to go.

Went to Peterborough about 10years ago. Maybe I’ll go again when my son is a little older.

Not been for years, might go now as enforced retirement gives me more time.

It was always a good day out.

Dont go any more as I feel like I am paying to go to a market. And the whole thing is over priced.