meyer timber

Evening all, I have tried searching for info but can’t find much. I see they are advertising for class 2 drivers running out of Tilbury and was just wandering if anyone on here works or has worked for them. Just after the usual info please if anyone can help. PM me if you prefer. Thankyou

Anyone?

A few years back they had a depot in one of the Medway towns. It was an agency recruiting for them at the time and I applied. Woman from the agency told me it was 26 tonner multi drop work and it’s mostly timber sheets / panels with a fair bit of hand ball involved. Quite a bit of London too. She was telling me around about £650 per week before tax.

Anyway I was well up for it but it all fell through when they decided to run it all from Tilbury. That’s all I can remember and this was about 4 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for you’re reply mate.

It’s £28000 a year on job and knock basis start at 5.00 am multi drop work anything from 6 to 12 delivery’s a day handball and forklift deliveries covering London and quite a lot of the South east area . It’s monthly pay 20 holidays plus bank holiday plus they shut down over the Christmas period . I did go down their last July as a friend of the family told me they were looking for drivers nothing was advertised at the time . The guy I spoke told me all the details he said they had lot of agency drivers on at present and was trying to reduce that number. I filled a couple of forms out and didn’t hear nothing for couple months them out of the blue get a text from one of their managers asking if I was still looking for a job but by then I’d sorted a class one driving job

trucker10:
It’s £28000 a year on job and knock basis start at 5.00 am multi drop work anything from 6 to 12 delivery’s a day handball and forklift deliveries covering London and quite a lot of the South east area . It’s monthly pay 20 holidays plus bank holiday plus they shut down over the Christmas period . I did go down their last July as a friend of the family told me they were looking for drivers nothing was advertised at the time . The guy I spoke told me all the details he said they had lot of agency drivers on at present and was trying to reduce that number. I filled a couple of forms out and didn’t hear nothing for couple months them out of the blue get a text from one of their managers asking if I was still looking for a job but by then I’d sorted a class one driving job

So he could have laid off an agency driver immediately to give you a start if he liked the look of you but he didn’t do that… :smiley:

Dock/Berth 43 Tilbury its like the 3rd/4th turning on the left after you take a right at the main roundabout. I sometimes park a Tuffnells drag opposite it. :grimacing:

They mainly use Scania curtainsiders I believe.
I haven’t spoke to the drivers there but they usually load heavy timber (obviously) onto the motors, stuff you can’t get a pump truck under as they use wooden blocks.
I definitely wouldn’t like to handball some of the stuff they put on those motors though I’m unsure if they are required to do that.

Thank you all for replying, just 1 more question. Is it day work only or do they night out because I have noticed they have sleeper cabs. The reason I ask is I would be commuting from Deal, so I’m just weighing up my options if its beneficial to me, if that makes sense. Thanks again

theflyingdustman:
Thank you all for replying, just 1 more question. Is it day work only or do they night out because I have noticed they have sleeper cabs. The reason I ask is I would be commuting from Deal, so I’m just weighing up my options if its beneficial to me, if that makes sense. Thanks again

I’m pretty sure they don’t. Having sleeper cabs these days is no guide to anything. 150 mile round trip plus tolls! Find something nearer to home friend.

TiredAndEmotional:

theflyingdustman:

I’m pretty sure they don’t. Having sleeper cabs these days is no guide to anything. 150 mile round trip plus tolls! Find something nearer to home friend.

I would but round here, it seems that wages are very poor indeed. At the mo im driving a dustcart, and i’m on 10 quid an hour, but I need and want to get out. That’s why I am trying to expand my horizons, but only having a class 2, I seem to be limited. Don’t get me wrong, I aint afraid of hard work or long hours, would’nt mind doing nights out either.

Sounds like class 1 is calling! Travelling that distance doesn’t add up bud you’re better off staying where you are and training for artics which will increase opportunities for you. I’ve done the bins myself.

I am aiming to do class 1 in the future, but at the mo, it is just not an option due to money issues. My poor wife is doing 2 jobs at the mo, just to try and make ends meet. If you know any companies willing to take on a newish driver, please let me know. Been driving class 2 for coming up 3 years now, but no tacho experience due to being on log book.

theflyingdustman:
I am aiming to do class 1 in the future, but at the mo, it is just not an option due to money issues. My poor wife is doing 2 jobs at the mo, just to try and make ends meet. If you know any companies willing to take on a newish driver, please let me know. Been driving class 2 for coming up 3 years now, but no tacho experience due to being on log book.

Go and get some experience on the tacho on one of your days off :wink: with an agency (ya!boo!hiss!) and take it from there.

cheers matey

A mate of mine worked for them in Grangemouth, £22k a year & any overtime is banked & used in lieu for when THEY want you to have an early finish. Apparently. some trucks were less than roadworthy, he walked away after 2 months.