Merge in lane

M1 northbound,jct 15 sliproad is a classic 2 into 1.
I use it most days,and most days I have problems with the “Can’t be stuck behind a lorry” crowd. :smiling_imp:
I usually drive a DAF 12 tonner,usually lightly laden,and therefore accelerates a fair bit quicker than most “lorries”.
This tends to catch out the wannabe overtakers who rapidly run out of lane 2,and have to choose between my offside step and a crash barrier :wink:
Being a very good driver,and a nice chap to boot :sunglasses: ,I generally try to avoid playing Chicken…the only exceptions being:
BMW’s
Audi’s
White Vans
4x4’s
Foreign plated vehicles
Any car that “may” be driven by a rep.
Any car that “may” be driven by a yummy taking Tarquin or Hermione to his or her harp lesson.

And no…I don’t think about the children :smiley: :smiley:

If they are merging into my lane then I don’t yield unless its going to cause a crash.

Pedant mode on: No one has “right of way.” One vehicle has to give way to another, but neither has that much talked about “right of way.” Not a ■■■■ take, but I’m surprised Rog didn’t pick up on that. If two vehicles collide, the attitude of the insurance companies and the Police will be something along the lines of ‘it takes two to tango.’ I know how it can getonyertits, but try zip merging as already suggested.

If all else fails, ram the git. :slight_smile:

What if the left lane merges with the right?
There are places where this happens

peirre:
What if the left lane merges with the right?
There are places where this happens

Those in the left lane are moving towards the right so they must give way

The person that is changing direction should yield to traffic already in place. If you’re in the right lane and the arrow telling you to move left is in your lane then you give way and vice versa.

gov.uk/general-rules-all-dr … 133-to-143

I tend not to give way to the self appointed lane police. You know the sort, crawls along in lane two, stopping everyone else from overtaking.

so basically who ever is merging into another lane, in theory should give way because they are changing lanes.

Trucker8oy:
so basically who ever is merging into another lane, in theory should give way because they are changing lanes.

YUP :smiley:

Hope that helps though ist is not from British rules, that is how it should be IMO.

muckles:
The problem is so many people feel they must move into the lane that stays open as soon as they see the sign which mean they end up queuing and extending the queue for those behind them.
If people stayed in lane until they have to merge then they’d be a lot less of one lane queuing for miles and the other lane being used by people flying down it to get to the head of the traffic and then road rage incidents as nobody will give in and let people in.

Careful - you’re talking far too much common sense!!
Leaving the M4 westbound and heading to Llanelli in the rush hour is a nightmare. There are 2 lanes heading towards Llanelli, but everyone tries to get in lane 1 leaving lane 2 empty with the obligatory lane police truckers stopping anyone from using it. Meanwhile the queue to leave the Motorway is often several hundred yards along the hard shoulder. These clowns have no idea of the danger caused to others by the knock on effect of their actions. :imp: :imp:

Trouble with todays idiot drivers they will take silly advice like “drivers that are already in the lane be told to slow down and give way to impatient traffic” as a right to put your foot down and blow your horn rather than do the sensible thing like merge and wait your ■■■■■■■ turn. I always give way to people at side of me but not actually behind and not actually attempting to merge.

Gettingolder:
Trouble with todays idiot drivers they will take silly advice like “drivers that are already in the lane be told to slow down and give way to impatient traffic” as a right to put your foot down and blow your horn rather than do the sensible thing like merge and wait your [zb] turn. I always give way to people at side of me but not actually behind and not actually attempting to merge.

If everyone when one and one it would work but the r soles in lane 2 just constantly want to push in. Would be so much better of there were cameras at the 200m sign ‘flashing’ every driver who hadn’t moved over.

Just work on the theory of whatever lane you are in you are wrong , dont forget every other driver does actually own the road so they can cut you up at any time it’s their right. Coming off a slip road onto a motorway they are in the right wether there’s someone in the middle lane blocking you moving over or not , if they have left it to the last seconds and need to get off a motorway well it’s their right to do so , dont forget their eyesight is much sharper than yours because they see the gaps you dont. So if you stick to the rule of which :ever lane you are in you are in the wrong lane then you wont go far wrong … have a drive around Bradford and see how the local taxi drivers and their relations drive this takes it to another level :wink: Last night i was driving home from work and to be fair everyone was behaving themselves. A 3 lane carriageway going into 2 lanes. The lady in front of me let a car in close to the cones and i let up and flashed the lady in who was at the side of me in her big Audi. Oh no way she put her foot down and tried but failed to get in front of the car that was in front of me , she failed so kept her hand on the horn for about 10 seconds , then took over the car on the inside lane and pulled straight across it . This is how desperate some people are , she had a child in the front seat too

First sign…

Of a lane closure, I head to the lane that’s closed. (lane 3 exception of course)

Always been let in, gaps always appear at 50 yards before the cones cut in, peeps flash me in and everyone gets home.

Example, M1 southbound, lane 1 is marked as ‘move over’ (move over is important because it’s not the same as a red X which means lane closed, but I’m sure you all knew that anyway). Drive down the completely empty lane until the red X appears. Indicate to move back into the allocated lane and as always, I get flashed in.

I NEVER drive in a red lane, despite seeing the road is clear for another mile. A ticket for a days graft isn’t worth it.

I have had Mr Grumpyyouaintcominginfrontofmeinmybiglorry, I just drop back and pull in behind.

Job done.

Merging boils my ■■■■, it’s just not hard. If you leave a gap in front of you people can merge while your all still moving. But no, everyone has to drive bumper to ■■■■■■■ bumper, so there’s no room to merge in to the live lane, and there’s no chance of a conga line of 10 vehicals merging in-between 2 vehicals from the lane that’s closing.
Fortunately it still makes me chuckle that people will risk having a prang, just to push their way in, when in reality they gain half a millisecond of journey time. All for the sake of not being able to MERGE IN ■■■■■■■ TURN.