Mercedes Actros

I noticed with supermarket axors limited to 50, the engine brake seems to work quite nicely on all the usual hills I might be going down.

I stick CC on at 50 on the actros however (maxed at 56), but with less sucesss though. It will still run away if you are fully loaded. Perhaps the engine is too easy to be cranked by the load compared to other tractors? I HATE the way it double changes down though, shoving your revs so high you’ll get a fleetboard infringement or whatever. As for that so-called “eco” running thing… It’s just notched it out of gear outright, and you’re coasting. I was always taught that this is actually rather dangerous, especially when going down a slight incline.

The correct way to drive more economically is to either pay less for your fuel, or buy a new invention that uses a cheaper fuel altogether.
Either way, “low fuel costs” are everything. Cutting corners because firms don’t lobby enough, or keep on voting Lib/Lab/Flab who are all in the pockets of the energy “industry”, is driving us all to ruin. It’s about time we recognised politicians in cahoots with energy companies as being the public enemies they are. :imp:

Fortunes are made from ‘not spending what you have’, rather than ‘making profits on things you don’t have’.

You would only get a fleetboard infringement if you are on the throttle when the revs are up. No throttle no infringement.

U have an new Actros u are an lucky man.

Seany:
You would only get a fleetboard infringement if you are on the throttle when the revs are up. No throttle no infringement.

I didn’t know that. I was originally told that if the revs are in the red for more than a second, you’ll trigger the “over rev” flag. No mention of how the rev counter actually gets there…

What about the “harsh braking” trigger? - I bet there’s no sensor that tells the difference between a legit emergency stop and braking hard because you’re too close to the bod in front. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fuel Economy sensor? - If your run involves a lot of single lane roads, stopping at RBs, Traffic lights, whatever, then I wonder how you get to beat the guy’s score who just had to take a load a few junctions down the motorway to an end depot just near the offslip, etc…?

I don’t believe fleetboard is a good measure of anything useful. It does seem to get you “spoken to” when you get infringements though, so it all seems to be stick without carrot to me. :frowning:

Kimi79:

Mmmm, not really they may look good but gearbox is ■■■ .

bald bloke:

Kimi79:

Perhaps his gearbox is worster than Volvo I-shift but new 6-L is better engine than Volvo.Fuel economy don’t doubt.

We use Fleetboard. According to the company your fuel economy only contributes a small amount to your overall driving score as different routes with different loads will have an effect. What fleet board is looking for is harsh acceleration, keep it in the green at all times although going into the yellow a bit doesn’t do any harm and is often necessary for an effective block change. Engine brake usage must be maximised, with the foot brake only used to bring the vehicle to a halt once most of your speed has been scrubbed off with the engine brake. This is the hardest thing to master. It also looks at coasting, the more you coast the better your score. And uniform speed, IE, big increases or drops in speed.

on the new actros how do you keep the night heater running permanently overnight?

scotlad:
on the new actros how do you keep the night heater running permanently overnight?

Just set it to the desired temp and it will keep it at that all night, when the temp drops a little the heater will kick in and get it back up to whatever you set it to pretty much the same as your heating at home.

Kimi79:

bald bloke:

Kimi79:

Perhaps his gearbox is worster than Volvo I-shift but new 6-L is better engine than Volvo.Fuel economy don’t doubt.

Yes we’re getting far better fuel returns on the Actros even as much as 10 %.

bald bloke:

scotlad:

Just set it to the desired temp and it will keep it at that all night, when the temp drops a little the heater will kick in and get it back up to whatever you set it to pretty much the same as your heating at home.

I think you may have misunderstood BB, I reckon he wants to know how to stop it cutting out after 2 hours. If that is the case you merely leave the ignition key turned one click (if that makes sense?) you need it turned so the ignition isn’t on but you can open the windows.

thanks maoster so press the start/stop button once then I think

the maoster:

bald bloke:

scotlad:

I think you may have misunderstood BB, I reckon he wants to know how to stop it cutting out after 2 hours. If that is the case you merely leave the ignition key turned one click (if that makes sense?) you need it turned so the ignition isn’t on but you can open the windows.

I’m lost now I thought the night heater kicks in and out all night without the ignition on, I don’t do many but had a night out last month set it to 21 and left it like that all night.

bald bloke:
I’m lost now I thought the night heater kicks in and out all night without the ignition on, I don’t do many but had a night out last month set it to 21 and left it like that all night.

Nah, you’ll have had the key turned one “click” forward. If the key was fully back (or taken out) you’d have had a maximum of 2 hours heating before it cut out.

the maoster:

bald bloke:

Nah, you’ll have had the key turned one “click” forward. If the key was fully back (or taken out) you’d have had a maximum of 2 hours heating before it cut out.

You sure i always pull the key thingy half way out and i’m sure it stayed on all night as it was warm as toast in the cab when i woke up. Right next time i’m at Asda Avonmouth i’ll have a few hours to kill i’ll give it a go.

the maoster:

bald bloke:

New Actros doesn’t have a ‘key’ :wink:

waynedl:

the maoster:

bald bloke:

I know I drive them everyday that’s why I said key thingy.

What MPG’s are people getting from the MP4 at max weight?

bald bloke:

waynedl:

the maoster:

bald bloke:

I know I drive them everyday that’s why I said key thingy.

Yeah sorry guys, I was thinking they were all the same, that’s how it works on my 61 plate one, didn’t consider that the new ones would differ. :blush:

Heating set at 21 degree’s all night ?!?! :open_mouth: Dread to think what your home heating bills are :laughing: