Mercedes Actros radio and heater- grrrrrrrr!

Hi guys and thanks in advance for your help- am on a newish( less than 2yrs old) Actros 2451 on night shift for the next 2 weeks and need some help.
Bluetooth connection seems a mission impossible, but have a work around with that.
Heater -WTF■■? All I want to do is set temp at auto at say 22deg- whilst that seems to be possible(!) for some reason I have a constant draught through a vent at my right knee- drove 150 miles last night with a jacket over my knees, same as I did with an old D series Ford 30 yrs ago!
Need to switch off the vent and I think this would sort it?
Radio- WTF( again)- horribly complex, all I’m trying to do is put radio 2 on for the majority of the evening, but reception is woeful and auto store/auto tune seems worse than useless- before you ask I have read the manual, but it doesn’t help with either of these problems!

Hahaha…your not alone! Our new Actros doesn’t have the all singing all dancing gadgetry of the higher spec models but gives the same results! Air comes out the vents when bombing along, irrespective of speed chosen on heater dial…the faster you go, the faster the flow! And the radio…sound quality is abysmal…I have Heart on for a few hours at night (gotta love the 80’s, right!) but have to keep retuning it every 10 miles, not sure if Heart don’t broadcast/use an RDS signal but it doesn’t change to the strongest signal so I’ve started not bothering now…lose signal, I turn it off. Also, ours don’t have Bluetooth so I don’t have to worry about it!

Don’t use auto setting for heat on anything.

DAF CF Euro 6 - does the same as your Merc.

Brand new MAN - does the same as your Merc.

MK3 Ford Mondeo - does the same as your Merc.

MK4 Ford Mondeo - does the same as your Merc.

I’ve come to the conclusion that climate control only ever works if you want “arctic” as the temperature.

Don’t suffer from the vent problem tbh. In cooler weather I just set it at 22 degrees but ensure that the direction is set for floor. That stops it coming out of the vents.

The radio however I totally agree with! It’s absolute pants and as I listen to radio 2 all day (well apart from when Feltz is on obviously) I find that it won’t auto seek and a lot of time I just get static. I’ve even done two or three service exchanges ( :wink: ) with aerials off other trucks in the yard, but it makes no difference.

The Dual Zone Auto Climate bolix in my Mk4.5 Mondy is pretty good and pretty much does as required and I have that on auto all the time. Maybe the problem with having them set to auto in a truck is that it’s never going to reach a set temp (22 from OP for example) because it’s to big a space and will just sit flat out, especially if on a hot summers day with the sun beating in. I’ve read that to make aircon/climate or whatever work effectively, it’s always best to wind the windows down for a bit to let the heat escape, instead of trying to cool it. My car (and truck for that matter) have Global Opening/Closing, which is great when walking up to it on a blistering day to let trapp d heat escape

I find the Actros temperature setting to be very inconsistent. Sometimes 20 degrees is comfortable, then it blows too hot and I drop it to 18 or 19 degrees, then it settles down to being comfortable, then too cold and I have to crank it back up to 20 or 21 to get comfortable again.

I’m convinced it’s the heater, not my hormones.

Bluetooth is infuriating too. There are many Mercs in the fleet, but whichever one I drive the bluetooth keeps disconnecting for no reason. I can reactivate it for a while, then it drops out again after a bit. I don’t have this problem with other bluetooth devices, only Mercs. And yes, the sound quality is pretty poor too.

Still, better than nothing I suppose…

I like the traffic report button. You turn it off to come on and on to turn it off. :confused:

The heater is either too hot or too cold. Can hardly ever get it balanced.

The merc Bluetooth doesn’t work too well with android phones. Mine disconnects and reconnects randomly. Sometimes when you call someone, it doesn’t go through to the hands free. Anyone I’ve asked thats got an iPhone doesn’t get these issues.

damoq:
The merc Bluetooth doesn’t work too well with android phones. Mine disconnects and reconnects randomly. Sometimes when you call someone, it doesn’t go through to the hands free. Anyone I’ve asked thats got an iPhone doesn’t get these issues.

Come to think of it that happens with my android Samsung when I first connect, does it 5 or 6 times then it’s ok. Well, right up until the moment it turns the dash display into the Spanish language that is!

And just before this slips away into the tombs to be resurrected in 10 years time, why is there no way of manually adjusting the headlamp height (on our low spec ones)? They aren’t auto levelling and are pathetic in the dark, especially with the lifter raised…discovered Mercs actually lift their arses a bit, but not to Scania extremes (never really liked round lamps anyway…my old Scania lamps were far better!)…the top of the beam (flat point, not the bit to the left that lights the moon for some reason) stretches out about 1 1/2 cats eyes on a motorway…I’d never see a stranded vehicle in the middle of a lane! And another thing…we have 3 new ones and all the steering wheels are of centre by an inch or 2 to the right and all pull into the left…just like every other Scania I’ve driven, new or old…is there a reason behind this? our DAF is crap but she goes in a straight line!

I don’t know about anyone else who drives the new Actros. But I’ve found that the more I drive it, the more I’m beginning to dislike it. Not saying its a bad truck as such, but its as if its been hyped up to be amazing, raising your expectations of the truck, only to find out its average at best when you get behind the wheel of one. And the gearbox!!! It’s a proper Satan’s box in it! I’d gladly take my old Renault premium back in a second if I had the chance.

Ours are only the narrow cabbed 430s, fleet spec etc etc and fortunately, I’m not in it long enough to love it or hate it…think I’d rather have my old manual boxed Scanny though…Better driving position, the radio worked (even though it was that old, it would only take something that apparently is called ‘a cassette’!) and pulled loads better, even when loaded…the Merc struggles with 6t of pop on up the stretch from Chepstow to M5 but then seems to cope with the climb to j18 quite well…strange. The electric sunroof is nice though!!! :laughing: