mercedes 814

always liked the merc 814 a proper sleeper cab on a 7.5 tonner i had a ford cargo but always wanted a merc as most of em seemed to be tated up :smiley:
i saw this at the truck n trackshow silverstone back in the 80,s

truckfest cant remember what year

and this old girl did her fair share of european trips for as taylor

HI
Mercedes definitely raised the bar when the 814 was launched, it was vastly better than anything else on the market, Felt like a proper truck :smiley:

Jerry

great photos GREAT LITTLE RIGS
any more photos

Hi all yes the Mercedes 814 was a great little lorry heres some pictures of the one I used too drive . Tony

Heres some pictures from the Merc 814 from the broucher . Tony

!(http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy23/gtonygardiner/img120.jpg[/IM![](http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy23/gtonygardiner/img121.jpg)
G]

)

Here’s a picture of a sleeper cabed 814 . Tony

We ran an 1114 tipper to 800,000km without a problem…excellent truck and was very light on diesel too. It was 18 years old when we sold it for export…it made decent money too IIRC.

top little wagon ad few in me time :smiley: wont be long till i get of the big un and end me time back were i started from :stuck_out_tongue:

still going .

What a great little truck, had one for 3 years until I passed my test. Italy and Spain every week, could earn more money with that than a big one!!

x1 of x5 Mitchell Cotts of Penkridge had on the Magnet & Southern’s contract…

1114’s they were. Cab room that rival’s the last 1628 dad ran from Swains! Massive steering wheel though…

I ran these 2 814’s in 1989 delivering car trailers from Ashbourne, Derbyshire all over the U.K. The B reg had a 20 foot body and towed a 20 foot peak trailer, the E reg I had extended at Henry Boyes ,Walsall to take a 28 foot body. The C reg below was an 1114 capable of a decent 6 ton payload, I ran this from 1993 to 1996. I remember collecting the tractor on the back from a farm below Bath and on the way back up the M5 the CB was full of comments about that little 7.5 tonner with a great big tractor on, little did everyone realise I was still a ton under my gross weight. These pictures and alot more of our family’s transport history can be found on my website, www.wakefieldsoflongford.co.uk

This was first ever lorry, it was the best lorry i have had i felt like a King Of The Road!!! was sad went the company went under

I had one for a few years E408HBF twin bunk a little top locker between the seats full of A to Zs the size of the steering wheel was a pain but not as much as the clutch was. Many hours in the roadworks when they did the motorway at Ferrybridge with a shakey left leg lol

Great little truck to stick lads on their first ever driving job in… Tell them to move it around the yard then watch their face when they try to turn it off.

Derf:
Great little truck to stick lads on their first ever driving job in… Tell them to move it around the yard then watch their face when they try to turn it off.

Did’nt you have to press exhaust brake?

myself and a mate moved my brother in law from Hannover to Wolverhampton with one .on hire from a firm called o grady iirc ? .it was a absolute pleasure to drive ,with a top/bottom bunk behind the seats it really was the dogs doodas , even my mate who was class 1 driver /tramper at the time was impressed .

I had one of these back in the early 90’s on a job running polystyrene from Cornwall to Willenhall, it was fitted with a 24 foot curtain body and was a pleasure to drive, however the body had an impact on fuel and returned only 12 mpg, only bugbear was that bloody steering wheel, it would hold a full tray with your dinner on though.
It covered almost 180,000 kms in one year and never missed a beat - ah the good old days of regular work :wink:

I seem to remember having to open the passenger door as well sometimes when tilting the cab, otherwise your eyeballs popped out of their sockets. Just like the Ford Cargo, it used to manage to get jammed down, but not locked down. Then you had to go and find someone who was over 14 stone, to sit down hard a couple of times in the drivers seat so that it locked. You couldn’t get relined shoes from Merc to begin with since they only supplied linings - not that you really needed them because it was the drums which wore out. For some reason the spider locking tabwasher for the rear hub nuts wasn’t a stock item either.