merc megaspace

My place has got one of these on demonstrator,
yesterday i had the pleasure of taking it for a spin,
But a couple of niggles i found were
These are the worst mirror set up for blindspots i have ever driven,
and why such a big cab and such a narrow bed,also the material is so poor it will soon get marked,looks the sort of stuff that will sweat you to death
Overall it was a lovelt truck to drive,but those mirrors,i’d hate to drive one everyday
regards
tonyb

I drive one everyday and love everything about it.
Breedy.

breedy:
I drive one everyday and love everything about it.
Breedy.

i’m sure i’d get used to it,it was just a weird set up to me,i liked the way it did the braking for you on overruns,
we dont run heavy so i left the gearbox in auto,worked well for me,
Parked in the yard against our low height scanias,it looked a palace,lol

The full auto is ok and the semi auto is ■■■■ !
They pull like ■■■■ as well
Other then the bed they are nice inside
I didn’t like the mirror as well

The thing I noticed the most after coming of an FH was how much better the mirrors are and less blindspots than FH.
Funny old world.

i drive a MOL tug and that has got very bad blindspots,and thats like sitting in a greenhouse

The top bunk is the dogs. Very big and a bit too comfy :sunglasses:

disgo:
The thing I noticed the most after coming of an FH was how much better the mirrors are and less blindspots than FH.
Funny old world.

I agree with disgo, I’ve just moved from a GXL to a Mega Merc and the mirror set up is better, also don’t seem to get as much muck on them or the side windows. The top bunk is the place to be at bobos time, wide and comfortable, the bottom bunk is too narrow.

As for driving it, the i-shift is still the best (but we’ve just had two clutches fail, one on a 57 and the other on a 59 plate i-shift, so Volvo are not flavour of the month at the moment, I don’t know who is picking up the repair bill), but the Merc is the best of the rest, sometimes you need to give it a hand by switching to manual mode as it does get confused at times, the brakes need a hard shove but Merc brakes have never been the best.I would love a go in a 2551 to see if they are worth the extra dosh!

Big Joe:
The top bunk is the dogs. Very big and a bit too comfy :sunglasses:

Does he not like sleeping on the bottom one then?? :laughing: Sounds like someone who has never tried to blindside a DAF onto a bay at night in the rain!! Merc mirrors are better than the ■■■■■ ones i got on the G400 Highliner at the minute…can’t see squat!! As big as the Scanny mirrors are, the drivers side one is crap, i find the only usable bit on it is in the top r/h corner and 3 inches wide x 4 inches deep…the rest of the glass just shows me how nice the door handle and door is looking!! I like to see ‘down’ the trailer to the under-run and what is going on ‘around the trailer’…i shouldn’t have to lean forward in the seat to see if anything is coming up the offside prior to me overtaking on a m/way. Merc accomplish that easily because of the wide cab whereas anything ‘narrower’ than a trailer limits the ‘visibility’ down the sides. And if your worried about the cloth getting dirty, try cleaning the outside more often!! :wink: :smiley:

I agree with you about the mirrors and blindspots you have to be careful not to misjudge the bottom corners around the step area its deceptive :blush: i had a brand new 2543 and then a 2546 i had the 43 3years and the 46 about 2years. There is a lot of room in them the 460 is the best cab. You also have to be careful as they rock and roll a bit and can run away on hills :cry: also if you have the 16 speed preselcted electric gearbox they are slow changing and if you have a heavy load aproching a big hill be prepared to stop on the hill and restart as it wont change down quick enouth :unamused: good luck :wink: