Merc Axor gear problems

Who drives these (generally good) motors :question:

I’ve been driving a 52 reg 1840 and although I find the 8 speed box very torquey in all gears, especially from low down revs, I’m getting increasingly annoyed that my left arm hurts like hell from having to exert so much force to knock it across the gate :angry: . I’m also having major problems with the reverse gate. 90% of the time it doesn’t matter that you use both hands to force the stick far over to the left side of the gate to get reverse, it virtually always lands in 1st gear. I’ve never known a box quite as bad as this.

Can anyone relate :question:

Cheers.

:open_mouth: Yes mate, I found to get reverse I whacks it right across to the left with a quick solid movement, that gets it there most times.
To get first do the opposite, push it across to the left softer up until the resistance then forward. Well it works for me.
I think its the better knock across box, compared with Iveco and Renault, its much more precise than them others. If you like knock across’s that is. :unamused:

just a thought ,never driven one but have you tried double clutchen the thing,it might seem stupid but i had to do this with one of our trucks a few years back an old fl10,could never get it into reverse 1st or 2nd and tried the double clutch and in 1st time.just a thought m8 :wink:

i dont have any problems with mine. its a telligent box. :wink:

We have one on hire, after pulling away i dont use the clutch as it slips straight through the gears no problem without it.

Its a high roof one and i can tell you its a nightmare getting in and out of that hammock :wink:;).

I’ve had similar trouble with an Iveco slapover box. double clutching can help, but I often had to use both hands to get reverse.

I have always found with a double H box, gentle pressure on the stick works best. Rather than trying to knock it across, just put it into neutral and apply pressure to the way you want it to go, the same thing happens with reverse, they normally have some sort of air assistance on the selectors

But it is a MB and :smiling_imp: I think they are twenty years behind the times!!!

If it is a hire truck as well then i dont think loads of different drivers attempting racing changes helps matters either.

Do you have to move the gear lever once you put it in drive, urgh been a long time since I had one o them…!!

Just what exactly is double clutching anyway? Showing my youth here.

I drive the Axor all the time, at first when they were new the gears were a bit stiff but after a few weeks they loosen up, try not banging it through the gate so hard as this will jar your shoulder anyway, push the stick over to the gate and then give it a soft but firm shove over that should do the trick (Treat it like a woman :laughing: ), The new Merc rigid is the bad one, gears lock up all the time but found that using a softer approach to them and a little wiggle does the trick.

(Treat it like a woman ),

Maybe Zorba’s new name should be Swiss Tony