MERC ATEGO 815 WIPERS WON'T TURN OFF, Help

as above, its a 2003 merc atego 815. for a while the wipers only didnt work on intermittent but now they have decided not to turn off aswell. They work fine at levels 1 and 2 but just wont turn off. I have to take the fuse out to get them to go off. I have already tried a new stalk but no joy. I have tried swapping the relays in the fuse box. 3 black ones at bottom, are these the correct ones to swap about?

what else could this be? how can i test the wiper motor? need this sorted asap and my mechanic is off sick.

any help is very much appreciated

thanks GAV

Lift the lap under the windscreen & look at the wiper motor, see if any wires are touching where they shouldn’t and wiggle them a bit. (If Possible)

thanks for the reply. i have done as you said but still no luck, i have removed the wiper motor now, does anyone know how to test it? would anything inside it wear out causing the wiper motor to go continuously?

Sounds like you will need a new fuse box. has water or moisture got in it.
Or could be a trapped/broken wire.

Sounds like the self park trigger in the wiper motor has stuck so it keeps the motor running.Or the intermittant wipe unit has gone short circuit.Not sure about the Atego but the intermitant unit is part of the flasher/timer box on the Axor and Actros.Pull the flasher unit and see if they stop.

Believe it or not if you run your tongue between the contacts of the flasher relay it sometimes clears the fault.Dont ask me why,maybe they have female tendencies!

what is the flasher unit?? and where is it located?
i found the relay for them and they stop when i pull it out obviously

Black plastic box about 4 inch long with about 16 pins coming out of it.
Its under the panel on the passenger side.Turn the indicators on and listen for the clicking contacts.

right, have also tried a new wiper motor in it with no luck. I rang merc and they said they think there is a relay built into the fuse box that controls the wipers and that it £300 plus vat to replace!

any other ideas on how to get around this? i tried to install a toggle switch to turn wipers on/off but it triggers the fuse when i use it

thanks

I will check tonight on one of our Ategos.Have a feeling that like a heater motor they are on constant live and the switch is on the earth return link.If thats the case it sounds like it has found a leak to earth so bypassing the wiper switch.

Will let you know tomorrow.As for a “relay built into the fuse box” what a load of twaddle.
A diode maybe but a relay,they takin the mick or what!

5 wires to motor.
1 black/yellow permanent live with ignition.
2 brown/black trigger pulse for intermittent
3 brown earth
4 black/white +red trace live on position 3(fast wipe)
5 black/white live on position 2,when washers pressed and during intermittent run.

If 5 is constant live cut it and fit a toggle switch on the dash.

If it has auto wipers like a Actros the arms have to be measured and set in a certain place when parked otherwise if incorrect they will keep on sweeping.
We had one were the wipers were hitting the window pillars on the sweep , went in and the mechanic adjusted them , came out ok , rain came , didnt switch off , went in to Mercedes and mechanic then reset correctly the measurement and been good as gold since.
Please disregard if you dont have autowipers . :sunglasses:

got it sorted, had to wire a toggle into the actual fusebox to stop it blowing the fuse everytime. not ideal but was the cheapest way as a fuse box was around£300! thanks for the replies