Merc Atego 815 windscreen wipers and washers stopped workin!

As above its a 2003 7.5 tonner and its up for psv on thursday!

Problem is that; both wipers and washers dont work.

Can’t hear the motor going when depress stalk for washers.

All was working yesterday but There was a problem that the wipers would only work on the second setting but now there is nothing at all??

All the fuses look to be “automatic”. What else could it be? Stalk? Switch relay? How should i go about testing for these?

Im thinkin its the switch on the stalk because of the earlier problem of only working on the 2nd setting and indicators still work.

Any help is much appreciated as have psv in next few days

Thanks!

Stalk…Happened on ours. Change that you may be OK.

You might be able to strip the existing stalk out and repair or even might just be it’s wiring connector may just have become disconnected. As you say you’re going to be looking at switch/fuse/relay areas and might have to just work methodically with a multimeter. Have the batteries been recently disconnected?

Yea batteries were flat so jumped it the other day. What difference would this make?
Thanks

livefreeordie999:
Yea batteries were flat so jumped it the other day. What difference would this make?
Thanks

I don’t know for that particular truck off the top of my head but the functions might be operated by an ecu. If a whole bank of related functions stop working it can mean an ecu problem and these are often caused by electrical surges and static. To reset all the ecus (which really means just discharges all the capacitors on the circuit boards) disconnect battery terminals touch them together and reconnect make sure everything electrical that can be turned off inside the truck is.

livefreeordie999:
All the fuses look to be “automatic”. What else could it be? Stalk?

They’re not automatic, they’re circuit breakers that will need reseting if they’ve tripped. If they’re tripped the little black button will be standing proud and just needs pushing back in.
From what you’ve said though I’d be looking at the steering wheel stalk area, may be something like the multi pin plug behind the steering column cowling has gradually come adrift over the last day or so ?