Merc Actros

Never driven one so any useful tipps on driving one ?

Nice truck to drive and live in. But slightly over rated IMO. Not saying its a bad truck, farm from it. Just not as good as merc would have you believe.

Watch when going over rough ground. Bumper and steps are very close to the ground and easily damaged.

Bluetooth is good when you eventually figure out how to pair your phone with it. Works perfectly with iphones but doesn’t like android devices for some reason. Still works though.

Gearbox isn’t the best but not the worst. Gets confused sometimes at junctions and roundabouts but its no worse than the ZF astronic. Just don’t try to rush it and 95% of the time the gearbox will work fine.

Don’t expect to fly up the hills either. Lesser powered truck will get past you on the hills with ease. But I think the mercs are programmed like this on purpose to give the best fuel economy rather than set hill climbing records. Just sit back and relax and let the truck do its own thing.

Ask for a different unit! :smiling_imp:
Absolutely awful, don’t try to put any power down as it’ll change gears until it finds the lowest gear it can and then rev the nuts out of it.
Try taking lessons on an apologetic wave to people on every roundabout you come to as it will come in handy. :wink:
Oh and they go wrong a LOT of the time, but you will have time to bond with your service provider, I am now welcome to free tea or coffee every time I take the old girl in (64 plate).
Good luck.

If its a slightly older one like mine (62 plate), youl get the most from it when heavy using the gearleaver paddle at times and even manual mode on the gearbox.

Whack the engine brake on full setting when anticipating coming to a stop and she will change down gears when braking making good use of the gears to slow technique proper drivers used to do.

As mentioned she can get confused at roundabouts but a bit of manual attention cures this. Well some of the time anyway.
Watch out for inclines when she might throw a neutral, but she will give a reasurring beep as your rolling backwards :slight_smile:.

Theres a midlift override button, very usefull when heavy for pulling away on slippery ground or manouvering.

Just tickle her along and you will be fine, like most women let her do things her way but occasionally you may need to help out, especially parking.

The Actros is definitely female. Takes a bit of time to get used to their little ways, but not too bad. As others have said they do get a bit confused at roundabouts bless 'em.

Disengage the ‘ecoroll’ - stops surging going down hills, have to do this every time you start her up

If you’re on the likes of the M74, you can save fuel/make time by disengaging cruise control going down hills, stops the engine braking kicking in, not to go balls out but just so you can use the downhill momentum to give you a help up the next hill.

If it’s an artic, you’ll need to pump air out of the brakes before you try to couple, because you won’t be able to get the air lines connected otherwise. This is the same whether it’s an old Axor or a brand new Actros.

IndigoJo:
If it’s an artic, you’ll need to pump air out of the brakes before you try to couple, because you won’t be able to get the air lines connected otherwise. This is the same whether it’s an old Axor or a brand new Actros.

Never ever had to do that on any merc I’ve driven.[emoji53]

Oh and make sure not to leave her in drive when turning the engine off, always press the neutral button. Mine doesnt suffer this issue but slightly older models wont start if stuck in gear and air is to low.

Talking of air, she performs best after a full blow (bit like the wife), so always ensure air levels are good before doing anything really. No need to rev the ovaries off her either to build up air levels.

bjd:
Never driven one so any useful tipps on driving one ?

Gone the downturn route ?

Not driven a new Actros but do drive a rebadged Axor every night!! Gearbox at junctions has been covered, I don’t like the way it likes to miss 11th when exiting the tolls on the old bridge. Driving position (for me) is horrible…steering column doesn’t come back far enough and the plastic it’s made from is horrid and shiny…lift axle doesn’t like to be lifted when heavy when preparing for my nightly reverse onto the tight bay (much prefer the old twin steer). Pull the exhaust brake right back and the revs will touch the red when going (down a steep) downhill section…I set the PPC at 88km, -2/+2 and is the only thing that seems to work properly (built in mapping makes the truck go to e-roll at the crest of a hill, dropping to 86 and the exhauster kicks in at 90, holding it back), apart from the electric sunroof! Cup holder right in front of the hazard light button is a bit naff, especially if hazards are used as a prewarning when approaching the back of a queue…apart from that, you’ll like it! Oh…and keep an eye on the tacho when on break etc…turn the ignition back on and it reverts to ‘other work’…have to press the mode switch a bit quick to get it back to where it needs to be! I’ll think of some more in a jif, so I’ll be back!

Found another little trick today. If you forget to put your windows up after you leave the cab, you can press and hold the lock button on the remote and the windows go up. Also if you press and hold the unlock button on your remote, the windows go down.[emoji3]

^^^^^^ and you can open and close your sunroof at the same time.

^^^^^ And if you have the bed stowed against back wall, lift both handles to move seat back further…might not be the case on the bigger cabs but is on our 2543LS’s…doesn’t make the steering wheel tilt back any further though! :cry:

Old thread but some feedback

Horrible things.if you like your joints aching every day then it is the truck for you.im leaving a well payed job to avoid the poxy things.

Cov:
Old thread but some feedback

Horrible things.if you like your joints aching every day then it is the truck for you.im leaving a well payed job to avoid the poxy things.

They’re not too bad apart from gearbox of course but I’ll be damned if I would leave a well paid job because of them.

damoq:

IndigoJo:

Nor me. :neutral_face:

robroy:

damoq:

IndigoJo:

Nor me. :neutral_face:

Some of our Scanias have to have the brakes pumped to drop the air out, the 65 plates have problems with excess back pressure when trying to hook up. Its made worse if the trailer has been left for a while. The 16 plates on the other hand will connect no problem, no need to dump the air on those.

The only thing I don’t like in mine (16 plate, about 8 months old now) is the windscreen demister. It has 2 settings…off, or full on with full heat. Even in winter I don’t like my cab too warm when driving and usually set my cab temperature to about 20 degrees, but everytime I need to demist the blowers come on full blast and the temperature jumps to the “high” setting & I’ve yet to find anyway to turn it down!

There are 2 good things about an Actros, the first is the night heater, it takes 10 seconds to programme it to come on the next morning, it uses the heater vents instead of just blowing thru one pipe next to the passenger seat like most trucks, it is great!

Oh yeah… the second best thing about them is when you get out of it at the end of the day, they really are crap.

+1