Menzies Distribution Knowsley to Paisley

Hello everyone, I have recently passed my C+E and really struggling to find anyone who accepts new pass drivers …however Menzies will and now through my agency have offered me a week worth of work trunking from Knowsley to Paisley depots, I am a little concerned that I will be able to do the round trip in 9 hours of driving though. I did google it and it s saying 3hours 45 mins, so its giving me hardly any chance if I get caught up in traffic, have any of you guys done that run, i am prepared to stay out if need be but would prefer not to

Google would be for a car and doesn’t take into account the speed difference.
Take a sleeping bag with you. It’s going to be nearer 4hr 30m each way and obviously that doesn’t include any time spent on manoeuvring/swapping trailers. You’d be able to extend your driving to 10 hours on two occasions, the rest of the week would be night outs.

I used to trunk from Cambuslang to Runcorn and that took about 4 hours without any major traffic etc

I done Bellshill to Knowsley many moons ago and I’m sure that was 4hrs each way. Menzies in Linwood must be almost 30mins from Bellshill so I reckon you’ll be very tight for time. Any delays whatsoever and I reckon your screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tight but doable.
your a limper so your getting paid for what you work .
if you dont want to wangle dropping and lifting on break to suit you then best not get involved as you will only moan when you cop a night out.
you probably couldnt get a more cushy trunk though.
depending on the time,then there will be no traffic barring accidents and only then on the lead up to the ■■■■■ bridge.
the jobs a gift.

I imagine it’s a regular nightly trunk so I imagine it’s fine. A good thing for a new driver to learn is to minimize worry! Stop worrying!

Rich262:
Google would be for a car and doesn’t take into account the speed difference.
Take a sleeping bag with you. It’s going to be nearer 4hr 30m each way and obviously that doesn’t include any time spent on manoeuvring/swapping trailers. You’d be able to extend your driving to 10 hours on two occasions, the rest of the week would be night outs.

My thoughts exactly, I know google would be for a car and i generally add on sometime when I am calculating my ETA’s and I gave thought about the two allowable 10 hour drive times

Tooz:
I used to trunk from Cambuslang to Runcorn and that took about 4 hours without any major traffic etc

Its gonna be tight and if I hit traffic problems then its game over

damoq:
I done Bellshill to Knowsley many moons ago and I’m sure that was 4hrs each way. Menzies in Linwood must be almost 30mins from Bellshill so I reckon you’ll be very tight for time. Any delays whatsoever and I reckon your screwed.

i was thinking along the same lines, its gonna be very tight I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

switchlogic:
I imagine it’s a regular nightly trunk so I imagine it’s fine. A good thing for a new driver to learn is to minimize worry! Stop worrying!

I need to get the experience, its gonna be setting out from Knowsley around about 14.45, so i can see a few potential spots where i might get stuck in traffic on the way up, but I have packed a overnight bag just incase

Andy1407:

switchlogic:

I need to get the experience, its gonna be setting out from Knowsley around about 14.45, so i can see a few potential spots where i might get stuck in traffic on the way up, but I have packed a overnight bag just incase

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
theres no traffic at 6 am in glasgow and thats your only bottleneck.
heading east an hour later there will be a bit but it wont take you long to work out the formula for what lane to be in and when to change it.
crack on and dont be a fanny.
worse case scenario spit the dummy out after 2 weeks and limp somewhere else after making sure exactly whats expected of you if you run out of time.

dieseldog999:

Andy1407:

switchlogic:

heading east an hour later there will be a bit but it wont take you long to work out the formula for what lane to be in and when to change it.
worse case scenario spit the dummy out after 2 weeks and limp somewhere else after making sure exactly whats expected of you if you run out of time.

Who is gonna be in Glasgow at 6am…I am hoping to be sorting my Mrs out good and proper…I am leaving Knowsley at 14.45, so hoping to be there at 18.45- 19.15 and then accounting for breaks, coupling up etc etc i hope to be getting back to knowsley about 01.00 next morning

Remember when in Scotland its 40 mph on single Carriageways!! I know you should be Mways and duals mostly but some times there are diversions. Don’t chance it ,Nicola needs your money.

Andy1407:

dieseldog999:

Andy1407:

switchlogic:

Who is gonna be in Glasgow at 6am…I am hoping to be sorting my Mrs out good and proper…I am leaving Knowsley at 14.45, so hoping to be there at 18.45- 19.15 and then accounting for breaks, coupling up etc etc i hope to be getting back to knowsley about 01.00 next morning

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
oops,i got my clocks mixed up.
i had mine set to icelandic time in case i decided to go and look at buses.
you will just miss the tail end of traffic then unless theres a football match on,or something at the sec.
nice easy trip though?
if it suits you,the you can be on break when coupling and save a wee bit of time to get home ,and if not,then milk it by the book and get a night out on top of your wages…win win. :slight_smile:

Not sure how many places are going to leave a trunker to night out,
mostly going to need the truck, trailer or load back,
so you would end up being rescued.They sent a van 85 mile to get me one day (their choice)

isaac hunt:
Not sure how many places are going to leave a trunker to night out,
mostly going to need the truck, trailer or load back,
so you would end up being rescued.They sent a van 85 mile to get me one day (their choice)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
which then opens up another can of worms depending on how much of a fanny you and your company are classing getting a lift home as other work ,are you getting paid for it as itl mean your working too long,and taking 11 hours off the next day once your back at the yard which prob means youve no time to start on time again ectect.

TBH more likely to run out of drive time on that run than overall shift time, drop and swap including break isnt likely to get near 13hrs, so recovery wouldnt be a problem for even the biggest sticklers for the rules.

It’s doable but you’ll go into a 10 hour drive and more than likely over 13 hours shift time.

If I was doing that run id have a 45 somewhere around Lockerbie/Annandale water services or maybe even Hamilton. That will cover you to then get there and swap trailers and set off back straight away, I’d then look at a 45 maybe around Penrith. I wouldn’t risk leaving it to Lancaster as the truck parking there is tiny and often full. Penrith or carnforth truck park. Then you’ll ■■■■ it back to Knowsley from there.

Rowley010:
It’s doable but you’ll go into a 10 hour drive and more than likely over 13 hours shift time.

If I was doing that run id have a 45 somewhere around Lockerbie/Annandale water services or maybe even Hamilton. That will cover you to then get there and swap trailers and set off back straight away, I’d then look at a 45 maybe around Penrith. I wouldn’t risk leaving it to Lancaster as the truck parking there is tiny and often full. Penrith or carnforth truck park. Then you’ll ■■■■ it back to Knowsley from there.

Thanks Rowley, i was thinking pretty much the same, I have asked my agency if they know if other drivers have done the run, but they arent bothered …so when i go in today and see thee transport planner or transport manager i will ask them, surely its a regular trunk from Knowsley to Paisley and they would know if its doable in 9 or 10 …or do they send out rescue to get me back coz i am pretty certain i would be fairly close to knowsley when my times run out…if they run out

If it wasnt doable and they were rescuing drivers on that trunk on a regular basis dont you think they would double man it instead of single man it?

Its a no brainer.

Cushty run though. Take your tv for the dashboard and remove your boots for comfort and enjoy the run.