Mentoring a new pass

I see mentoring a new pass is the latest scheme / buzzword , what was wrong with just helping them when they needed help , any driver who was about
Last thing I need is some young kid ringing me up at 1 in the morning because he can’t find the washer bottle or has a bulb out
No thanks

Last place I worked for small family company with 5 trucks.
Fella.there said similar thing to me as I was there a long time other staff just came and went.
He said I’ll give your number to other drivers you know job inside out know way into sites etc how the company runs.etc.
We’re give you an extra £50 a week for it. I declined for reasons you said don’t want a new starter phoning me in early hours truck won’t start no one in office etc help me.
Don’t get me wrong if I’m around I’d be happy to show a new starter round help others out etc.but not when I’m off duty
But what he did do was set up a wassap group with office staff included in it.
Any issues problems go on there and somebody will sort it out.
Lot better than them all having my number as soon as I clocked off I silenced wassap untill clocked on next day

It’s easy to set a boundary with a new pass and say “Don’t call me when I’m off.” Not rocket science is it.

Better yet, don’t give them your phone number in the first place.

It’s like nobody thought of these things…

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ imagine being mentored by dozy :exclamation: :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

drover:
Jesus Christ imagine being mentored by dozy :exclamation: :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

Even Worse carryfast :open_mouth: cheers Ray

drover:

I think Dozy would be an ideal mentor - after all what could a newbie do wrong that Dozy already hasn’t - and found a solution for :unamused:

Coming from an industry, healthcare, where mentoring trainees/new passes is very common and expected of you, and as a newbie myself struggling to find work because nobody wants to mentor/train a newbie… I’m all for this!

Having trained many students/fresh out of medschool trainees myself, personally I really enjoy it. I find it makes you better at your job because newbies ask questions about things that you take for granted because youve done it a million times, but forgotten/don’t know yourself why its done, then go look it up to find the answer, rather than simply saying “Dunno mate, that’s just the way it is” when asked why we do something. Sure sometimes they do ask utterly ridiculous questions, but when you can explain and teach your craft, you’re mastering it. See one, do one, teach one, really is the best way of learning, way better than death by powerpoint or the quick 5 minute demonstration you had on it by your driving instructor.

Without a doubt the best way to teach bar none is EDIAP. If you’re not ex military it’s an acronym for Explanation Demonstration Imitation And Practice.

Perfect results time after time.

Beau Nydel:

drover:

I think Dozy would be an ideal mentor - after all what could a newbie do wrong that Dozy already hasn’t - and found a solution for :unamused:

You make a very good point :laughing:

Was common on ME work to mentor a new driver either formally through the firm or informally from a driver that could see a newbie needed help.

Some of the drivers needing mentoring might have had quite a few years on general haulage but were out of their depth and needed help once off the ferry and driving on the right.

Some without mentors gave up at Istanbul and went home terrified, with a little help & encouragement they could have reached their destination and made it home, ready to do it all again.

Ideally, a way to do it is to pair up drivers on the same run so that the Newbie has to do it on their own, but just behind is an experienced hand to spot and advise where needed.

drover:

Beau Nydel:

drover:

You make a very good point :laughing:

Not so sure about that. Old Doze is hardly a bastion for truth and honesty, you’d never know if he was giving good advice.

I would bet my bottom dollar that if the mentee happened to be an attractive young lady, then the people who’d normally turn mentoring down would be all over it!

I’ve seen it many times.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

All dosy, would train a person to do it troll this site.