Memories

Can anyone remember the old route we used to take after leaving Calais befor they built the Motorway.Iwas try to work out was it arras before we used to stop for Coffee etc or was it next Village after Calais.I remember Arras being the first Fill up point at the Shell Garage.The amount of lorries that used to go over on the Bend further up was frightning.Do anyone else remember when we had to back on to the old Train Ferry out of Folkestone ? or was it Western ?god that used to be a laugh when it was rough and the bloody Ramp kept going up and down like a yo yo. Many of times ive watched Shunters putting it on for Drivers,ill always remember the Ukon Trucking guy that lost it he couldnt get out of F88 quick enough.Then there was the woman driver which we got know as Silly Sue always had a flat trailor (good sheeter and roper) she would Never reverse on, she would just back up to Ramp then out for the Shunter to do it,only when it was Rough though she was ok in normal weather.And what was it we used to always have on our Bunkbed for when we got stopped on the old French roads ? oh yes small bottle of Scotch for the serious breach of Hours or loose packett of ■■■■ for anything else. They were all a bunch of Slags in them days the Gendarmes,and what about the Italian Police they were even Bloody Worse !! 25000 lre just to keep moving even though youR Tacho WAS fine (very rare mind you) still good thing about Italy and that was if you were in a hurry to get job done and out of Italy quick just make sure you had plenty of lire because im sure most of you will agree with me they were all Bent ! including the Customs on top of the Blanc.Other than them Arsoles i loved Italian Scenic Views they were out of this world food was second to none and in the middle of summer when it was bloody hot at night you could sleep with your Door or Window open !!.How Bent were the Customs then ? this is a true story, i came over the Blanc once with electrical goods for Naples done customs up the on Blanc came down cleared Customs in the Port on me way at 1130. At 1330 id stopped on a national road (cant remember the town ) lorry was parked opp the resturant so i could see it from my table eating Dinner with other English Drivers (M A T s) turned me head for approx 1 min looked round no Wagon gone!!.The only people that knew what was inside that Trailor was the Customs even i didnt know.Anyway 6 weeks later i get a parcel at home while im in Turkey i asked the wife to open it and it had all my stuff from the Cab and i mean everything including hidden running money,which told me and everybody else it was a Mafia job ! ouch !! still alls well that ends well as they say,i got my stuff back firm got paid out for a new lorry.