Memories

Hi,

When i worked for Lowes of Paddock Wood in Kent, on one of my trips i had tipped in Germany and my next load was Bananas from Antwerp Docks, well there were 7 of us tipping in Krefeld at the Naafi and we all met up at the Docks Monday evening, we were told the ship would arrive maybe Wednesday/Thursday, well you knew when it was due as the Dutch wagon and trailers would start to arrive,

So we picked a trailer took our passenger seats out got our gas stoves at the ready and managed to get some Bananas from a store at the Docks went off into town and bought some Milk and Custard powder as i said it was one of my favorites afters i got the job of cooking it, we had some funny looks from some other drivers as they past our trailer and some even tried the food!

Come Thursday no sign of the ship so we phoned the office only to be told to wait as the boss could see the ship coming up the Channel [ he must have had Bloody good eyesight] :laughing: . it finally arrived Saturday Midnite.

We all got away in time to catch the 0400 sailing from Zeebrugge to Dover, some feat from the Dock workers,

They were good times and not so good sometimes, a few of my mates there that week have past away but i still think of that week and just thought i would share it with you.

Cheers,

Roger.

There’s a thread on this forum called Lowe’s of Paddock Wood. Maybe they’d enjoy your story on there. Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80091

Robert

Thanks for the link Robert , i will post it on there.

Roger.