Memories of working for MURFITTS

I remember dropping Geordie John on his head in bourg after a few beers (no we wasnt fighting) :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

What do you call the guy with the cowboy hat who was driving for Quick Freight with an old Murfitts Iveco drawbar, he worked for Murfitt before that.

Wheel Nut:
What do you call the guy with the cowboy hat who was driving for Quick Freight with an old Murfitts Iveco drawbar, he worked for Murfitt before that.

theres a guy called colin from the west country somewhere that works for quickfreight

kerwyn:

Wheel Nut:

theres a guy called colin from the west country somewhere that works for quickfreight

Thanks.

I used to weekend with him in the Albion Inn in Ashcott so I doubt he is from the west country. He would have gone home I think.

Steve Baker may remember him.

Anyone remember a lad called alan dean,came from bolton worked for murffits in the 90s then went to bergens at trafford park running rumo with fabric and garments back.I believe he married a rumo girl and is now back living in the uk.

regards dave.

i searched for the old murfitts threads on here, but couldnt find it, i never worked for them, but i took this picture the other week…

hope its of interest to someone

Anyone remember Big Oz having some pallets of Earl Grey tea nicked off his Trailer while he slept at Viverone services, Macon Pat deciding to help the french farmers plough their fields by coming off the Autoroute around Langres, or being offered a brew by catweasle and having to politely decline for fear of being poisoned…

When did Murfits finish and why? They just seemed to disappear overnight

bugcos:
When did Murfits finish and why? They just seemed to disappear overnight

norfolk line bought them and shut all the euro side down, they’re (norfolk line) still running out of murfitts yard in peterborough with the fridges

bazfrombenidorm:
Anyone remember Big Oz having some pallets of Earl Grey tea nicked off his Trailer while he slept at Viverone services, Macon Pat deciding to help the french farmers plough their fields by coming off the Autoroute around Langres, or being offered a brew by catweasle and having to politely decline for fear of being poisoned…

i remember the earl grey going, i’ll have to try and catch oz and remind him of it (he lives in my street) and farmer pat as he was called for a while ploughing the field (forget coming off the road, he was quite proud of the fact he’d kept it shiney side up)
you should’ve had that brew, he made a lovely cuppa.

there’s got to be a reunion sometime hasn’t there? anyone know there whereabouts of mick cook from chesterfield?

theres been a couple already jj72, in a pub in castleford i believe

I know that a lot of ex-murfitts use the golden lion in dover its owned by Rab the chef from the cinque ports pub in western docks

Hey Biggus, I’ve got a feeling I should know you, any clues? I just wasn’t brave enough to accept a brew from C/W, whatever became of him? I was in the Dutchmans a few years back, but it had changed out of all recognition, or maybe it was my first time going there sober… :unamused:

i haven’t seen him since i saw him in the yard at whitttlesey just before it all went ■■■■ up
i used to be known as bolton steve, spent most of my time there working for ray brown,
i went on fridges for a while until i had an altercation with a security guard at chepstow and was sacked on returning to the yard
20 minutes later i was re employed by ray and had my gear in another motor heading for bremen :smiley:
i was also the one that had janet fuming when she had spotted something in the windscreen of one of our motors, she came storming over demanding to know who’s the vehicle was, she wasn’t too impressed when i told her it was hers :smiley:
i’m also the one who pulled his todger out at corby and peed in front of the warehouse manager, when he said we weren’t allowed to use the toilets cos all drivers are thieves :smiley:
there are more but modesty prevents me from saying :blush: :smiley:

i had 10 years on murffits it waz the best time of my working life i can rember macon pat goin in the feild i ended up takein the trl of him wish those days wud ■■■ back regards to 1and all

kerwyn:
I remember dropping Geordie John on his head in bourg after a few beers (no we wasnt fighting) :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

I just love the image of that one :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

kerwyn:

I just love the image of that one :smiley:

wheelnut we was both ■■■■■■ and having a laff i had him over my head and then he slipped thru my very drunken hands pmsl there was a thud and he was in a heap on the floor lol

just a quick question, how many depots did murfitts have? was their main one round cambridgeshire (ely area?) just always wondered, and i have seen some fl6s with murfitts recycling or something on the side, is this the same family as such does anyone know?

iirc there was littleport, whittlesey, hams hall, dover and milan
it maybe the couple of wagons they had when they were recycling tyres, but a lot used to mistake us with smurfitts

I remember getting back to Whittlesey and having to bump start my car (luckily for me at the time a wee metro) after every 6 week away, had to find it first, I’m sure there was more dirt on those cars than in the fields.