Memories of Mt Cenis route to Italy Mid 70s

It was a Friday afternoon I shipped out of Dover after 8 hours delay, The idea was to clear customs at via Corsa Milan Monday morning,tip in the afternoon load Asti Tuesday. Great idea then.
I didnt think that 50% of the French haulage industry was going to be blocking Dover going home, Stupid me, Now with this delay it was getting interesting, around 1200km plus no driving on Sunday, No problem (Well I was younger then).
Off the ferry in early hours into customs with 20 franc note in hand, didnt want permit stamped, did we. Plus full tank of Diesel. No problems. Off I went parked up near Bapaume wanted to get past Paris before bed but sleep forced me to stop. That didnt go to well did it, London to Bapaume took me over 19 hours,
Well,I was not one of those up at 5am drivers, I as most of us at that time was drove until tired, I got up when I woke up and off I went, I must get the other side of Chambery Saturday night then no problem getting to the border for Sunday night, or so I thought.
Not up early Saturday but it was a nice day, Off I went towards Paris, maybe the Périphérique will be not so busy on Saturday, It was fine, Had late lunch at Auxerre then carry on. It was well late when I parked up past Chambery at least I had covered a few Ks, Sunday driving in the sticks should be no problem, the local plod would not be about, Said I.

Sunday, day of rest, not in a 70s truck drivers scheme of things, well today will be easy, a short sort of spin in the countryside, well up the alps, a relaxing drive enjoying the view, for those of you who did not go over Mt Cenis, it is beautiful. After a fry up ect off I went. Well if I remember correctly the police check point post was at Modane, Well Sunday no one should be home just drive through and get past the steps and it would be head down on the Italian side. Oh no it was not to be.
Arrived at French Police post and before I could drive past I noticed a parked police car, They had seen me coming up the hill and jumped out of the car and strode quickly to my truck I was still moving up to parking area.
He didnt quite blow a gasket but it was clear he was not happy, He banged on the door demanding I open it, I stuffed my cash behind the bottom bunk and down came the window I greeted him with Good morning, he was not amused telling me to get out. Now I understood a bit of the lingo but acted dumb, I cannot recall how much bung he wanted but today I was not in the paying mood, I was stuck anyway so no amount of money would let me get to the border quicker. I was not going to pay for part of his holiday, I noticed 2 of McCrays parked up so assumed he had fined them. Mistake number 1.
Mr Gendarm was having none of it, I protested my innocence quoting the 100km rule ( It was said if a truck in transit was 100km from the exiting border it could run, I never found out if it was true or not, Help on this from others maybe) Oops I thought I have come across the only non bend copper on the border, he was. On came the cuffs in the car I went.
A trip down the mountain to the plod shop. I was taken to an office and left to stand by a door, They did de-cuff me, After a while another officer demanded several thousand francs, I told them had no cash thats why I had to get to Milan to draw funds. Again and again they told me pay up and go, Again and again I said had no cash. This went on for several hours, Both of us would not give in, In the end I said I needed to call the British embassy, This changed the tone.

They drove me back advising me not to drive further until 2200hrs. The McCrays drivers had paid, I had not,.
Bottom line is didnt clear until late Monday Tipped Tuesday reloaded Wednesday afternoon, Should have shipped out Sunday as normal, just thought Friday would make a change.

image.jpeg
I was going to do it a couple of years ago but it was April and was still closed ,mite make it next year in the motorhome though .

The crossing of choice for many of us in those days. :wink:

Nipped over it 3 years ago , had a cup of tea on top then was greeted by angry lady in Douane uniform when I got down to the little wooden hut , she said 19ton limit , I said ok I’m only 16 ton empty , she got frustrated trying to argue that meant rigid truck only , I played ignorant and she gave in , then I scrapped the arse of old Lowloader all the way down .

Sideways■■? That’s very impressive :open_mouth:

Right way up