'Member 2017? Trucking - revolutionized? Electric

www.tesla.com/semi

‘‘Semi is the safest, most comfortable truck ever. Four independent motors provide maximum power and acceleration and require the lowest energy cost per mile.’’

Acceleration 0-60 mph with 80k lb…20 sec
Speed up a 5% Grade…60 mph
Mile Range…300 or 500 miles
Powertrain…4 Independent Motors on Rear Axles
Energy Consumption…Less than 2 kWh per mile

OMG, this sounds great! Unfortunately, there’s only 1 small, tiny, minor issue with this ‘‘semi’’ (truck) - it doesn’t exist, lol. 2021 was supposed to be 2 years after the start of mass production of these, but hey fear not for the modest sum of £4k + another £10k you can reserve yours today and get it by…well, whenever they figure out a way to actually deliver on their promises :grimacing:

youtube.com/watch?v=56862W24HK8

Elon time is how long is a piece of string, They cant even mass produce their new 4680 battery cell yet which will be going into the Tesla Semi/cybertruck as the gigafactory they’re going to be built in (Texas) hasn’t finished being built yet. Conservative estimates reckon they’re at least five years away yet. :open_mouth:

The 4680 battery pack alone for the 300 mile range Tesla Semi will cost $150K & the 4680 battery pack for the 500 mile Semi will cost $180K. :smiley:

lancpudn:
… the 4680 battery pack for the 500 mile Semi will cost $180K. :smiley:

That won’t float in the US considering their"gas" prices. Even here with no doubt a battery life of say 5 years, could you really use 180K* of diesel plus the cost of the electric?

• No doubt it’ll be that in £ too.

As for 0-60, err, that sounds great if you want to destroy the load. How fast does it stop? That’s kindof more important. Or can it hold 55mph up M62 Windy Hill at 44T? Actually if it can do more than 25 I’ll take one! :slight_smile:

trevHCS:
As for 0-60, err, that sounds great if you want to destroy the load. How fast does it stop? That’s kindof more important. Or can it hold 55mph up M62 Windy Hill at 44T? Actually if it can do more than 25 I’ll take one! :slight_smile:

Yeah well, let’s not bore ourselves with such non relevant details such as actual payload (as in how much does/will a battery weigh) or cost per ton or indeed as you point out actual practical range fully loaded in windy days up hills/mountains, mr Musk I’m sure has it all figured out if he’s already happily collecting deposits for trucks that his company should’ve started producing 2 years ago :grimacing: . Hey I just got a brilliant idea why not dig tunnels and put them inside that way there can be no gegenwind negatively affecting uh…energy economy?

Was delivering batteries, not any batteries 20 years ago could get 8 on a 45 foot trailer, military were interested in them liked shooting at them an blowing them up, I requested boffins that they take batteries off wagon before they started shooting. Never know with these mad sods. They’d have classed my demise as as a successful experiment.

Was delivering batteries, not any batteries 20 years ago could get 8 on a 45 foot trailer, military were interested in them liked shooting at them an blowing them up, I requested boffins that they take batteries off wagon before they started shooting. Never know with these mad sods. They’d have classed my demise as as a successful experiment.