Meeting with the manger

Right,so i dont miss any info ill give you the low down.

I have been at my company since october 2013. 1 year and 5months.

Now when i started i was told start time for me (nights) 6pm-12midnight…
But as this was my first actic job i took the bad with the good ie started between 6pm-2am.

So it then went solid midnight starts which wernt great but i was gaining experience etc.

Now its gone back but wilder…8 one day,then 2am,then 9,then to 1am back to 8pm

With all the above said,Have i got a right to accuse them of duty of care ?

He wants to talk about this tommorrow as i started at 9pm and was done for 1151am!

I have had interviews else where but wasnt suitable but im still looking.

Cheers
For anyhelp anyone could advise.

You have to be flexible in this game, unless your start times are written in stone.

It is only up to you to decide how flexible you wish to be though.

Not my idea of decent start times though.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but only 7 more months to do and you have passed the magic 2 year mark !!

buses:
Have i got a right to accuse them of duty of care ?

Duty of care? On what grounds? You agreed on variable start times.
HGV driving isnt a 9-5 job with a set in stone start and finish time. Maybe its just me but as long as Im not expected to sit by the phone to get told start time and know roughly 12 hrs in advance then it really doesnt bother me. Dosen’t sound like their being too unreasonable though.
If you feel they are,however,what are you basing that on? Are they expecting you to sit available from 6pm,unpaid, till they call you to come in?

No duty of care breach.

What do you get paid? Minimum 8 hours or just whatever hours you work?

What are your finish times? Do they have an impact on the following day start times (rest periods )?

the 2 things I would worry about are ,
Not having a regular sleep pattern which could lead to driver fatigue while on duty,
Not being able to schedule regular meal times, leading to all sorts of health risks…
ask your manager if he would care to accompany you for a couple of weeks… I bet he says no thanks

Why should he want to ? that’s why he employs drivers

Another sad do it or F off job. Changing from week to week isn’t good but day to day by that amount is bloody terrible!

But from the comments so far I’d say you’re probably going to have to ■■■■ it up or find a better job because someone who probably comments here will do it for you.

They DO exist.

You could have a chat with your planner and come to some sort of agreement! Those hours do seem to be quite erratic!! As said you are nearly at the 2 year mark, so you could just keep your head down and get a new job with not so erratic hours. But depends on what the office is like! I do weekends at the minute and generally have same start time on a friday but if I am available at any time on the friday they can start me anytime they like. Couple of weeks ago I had a 2am start which wasn’t great, but can’t complain due to being a newbie and getting my 2 years in!!

you also get unfair dismissal rights after 2 years

Panick:

Assuming you have the £1200 spare for the tribunal fee.

and a cast iron case to present!!

Conor:

Panick:

join the union then never had to pay 1200 pound

HAIRYGORILLA:

Conor:

The £1200 only came in this last year. You’ll notice people commenting on unions not wanting to get involved since it has.

Tribunal cases have dropped by 55% since the new charges came in, Equality & Human Rights Commission are backing a case to suggest that the new charges are unfair and unlawful.

H.

Conor:

HAIRYGORILLA:

Conor:

The £1200 only came in this last year. You’ll notice people commenting on unions not wanting to get involved since it has.

Jeez, more worker’s rights taken away. Who’s got a spare £1200 to risk after being unfairly dismissed ?

It gets more like Poldark every day!

It’s £250 to lodge the claim, £950 if it goes to a hearing. A good solicitor or a clued up employee wouldn’t need to worry about the latter charge.

It is enlightening to know the law as the usual practises of bad employers mean they generally fall foul of it :wink:

I am on a 2 hour start time slot and I’m not too happy if it goes more than 30 mins away from this. My company is spot on with the don’t drive fatigued etc things. I would do your times but as others have said get to the2 year mark and put your foot down. If you had a crash you would have the trucknet csi claiming you shouldn’t of drove tired etc.

This game is flexible…I love driving.
But most evenings i find myself waking up early then finding i have a late start.

Got home 1230 today,bed 2pm woke up at 815 to find not in till 230.

Nobody gets up 6hours 30min before a shift do they?

Jesus? Away in a manger? :grimacing: :sunglasses:

OP :laughing: they’re taking the ■■■■ :imp:

Are you in a union?

Card out, time off! :sunglasses:

Card in, 9/ 11 hours later

No FATIGUE :unamused:

Leave job ! :grimacing: ASAP :wink:

We’re not in 1974 :open_mouth: