medway docks

hi anyone remember loading out of crown wharf limehouse wharf stanleys wharf chatham docks

Yes mate i remember in the 70s&80s loading pulp out of crown wharf,forget his name but there used to be a real madman on the clamp truck,if you had a flatbed if you wasn,t quick enough to move the sheets he would put the pulp down on them and refuse to move for a while just to wind you up.I also once[forget the name]as you came into the wharf there was a firm did palleted chemicals,i loaded for poland out of there.
regards dave.

hi mate that firm was called british ceca and the madman sounds like ashley ■■■■ hot at loading pulp tho

kentboy:
hi mate that firm was called british ceca and the madman sounds like ashley [zb] hot at loading pulp tho

Correct on both counts mate thanks,ashley that was him i think he left a lasting impression with most who crossed his path. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dafdave:

kentboy:
hi mate that firm was called british ceca and the madman sounds like ashley [zb] hot at loading pulp tho

Correct on both counts mate thanks,ashley that was him i think he left a lasting impression with most who crossed his path. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i used to shunt in there mate so got used to him

Does anyone remember Fred Atkins, a foreman on the wharf down Gas House Lane, Rochester.
I think mainly used by R Swain from Strood hill.
A typical conversation with Fred went like this.

" Alright Fred hows it going? Yea alright somerset, what do you want? A load of timber for Glastonbury Fred. Huh you got no chance this late in the day, too bl**dy busy. Thats ok Fred Ill park up at the arches and come back in the morning!! Well if youre going to be like that Ill load you now!!

Im sure there was logic in the way he worked or just the need to wind drivers up but he was a good sort all the same.

It used to be good, get loaded out of Crown, Phoenix, Honigs or Gas House Lane and then up to Nells on the A2 for a good meal and a stroll down the pub.

A good read is Juggernaut Drivers about a small band of owner drivers in Kent. They operated out of a wharf called Honix I think which was possibly a reference to the medway docks.

Good days

kentboy:
hi anyone remember loading out of crown wharf limehouse wharf stanleys wharf chatham docks

We used to load reels of pulp out of Crown wharf for courtaulds in Lancaster,used to be a fork lift driver called ashley and he had one hell of an attitude,he hated tautliners.One of our lads didnt open his curtains fast enough so he rammed the reels through them.He also hated it if you had empty GKN pallets on too!!.

scaniaontheroad:

kentboy:

We used to load reels of pulp out of Crown wharf for courtaulds in Lancaster,used to be a fork lift driver called ashley and he had one hell of an attitude,he hated tautliners.One of our lads didnt open his curtains fast enough so he rammed the reels through them.He also hated it if you had empty GKN pallets on too!!.

that was him mate do u remember his tallyman that told u where to load

kentboy:

scaniaontheroad:

kentboy:

that was him mate do u remember his tallyman that told u where to load

I sure do,i loaded out of there from 1988 for maybe 10 years or more until courtaulds closed there Lancaster factory.We stored them in our warehouse,so when a boat came in it was a mad rush to get them north,so i was in there maybe twice a week.The good old days!!.