Medicals /sugar in your water sample

had a medical today and the doctors found sugar in my water sample , said i now have to have a fasting blood test [ cant eat from 10.00 oclock the previous night to the 9.00 test ].
has any one had this on a medical , what does it mean, doctor was saying if its diabetis and i need insulin ill loose my license .
is there any reason other than diabetis youd have sugar in your water , if its diabetis is your license gone, how soon do they take it off you :question:
must admit it got me worried , so any help, advice would be appriciated ,ta

hi mate. Sugar in urine does usually mean Diabetes. Have you had any rapid weight loss recently, or are you obese? These can be signs of Diabetes, and if you are obese, loosing weight can help control the Diabetes

The Glucose tolerance test is just a matter of you taking a glucose solution drink and then they will take a sample of blood.

Unfortunately,insulin treated diabetes means imediate disqualification from the UK LGV licence.

Hope all goes well mate, and speak to your doctor as it can vary from people to people.

ady1:
had a medical today and the doctors found sugar in my water sample , said i now have to have a fasting blood test [ cant eat from 10.00 oclock the previous night to the 9.00 test ].
has any one had this on a medical , what does it mean, doctor was saying if its diabetis and i need insulin ill loose my license .
is there any reason other than diabetis youd have sugar in your water , if its diabetis is your license gone, how soon do they take it off you :question:
must admit it got me worried , so any help, advice would be appriciated ,ta

Had that myself last time but blood test proved fine. You might well be OK.

Hi Ady if you are over 40 then its usually type 2 diabetis which is 99% treated by tablet and not the insulin jabs that stop you from driving. Another reason for sugar to be present in urine is through eating high fatty foods 5-6 hours before urine test.
Hope its the latter good luck
George

thanks for all the advice it is much appritiated, the worst bit is waiting to do the test on fri and then waiting for test results , hope it turns out o.k, but ive just got this horrible feeling i wount be driving trucks for much longer, again thanks

ady1:
thanks for all the advice it is much appritiated, the worst bit is waiting to do the test on fri and then waiting for test results , hope it turns out o.k, but ive just got this horrible feeling i wount be driving trucks for much longer, again thanks

Well, I know of a few LGV drivers with diabetes and it does not seem to affect their work :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It was a couple of years ago when one said that they just had to be careful to ‘manage it’ so I assume that means that it is treatable by the medics.

I’ll try to contact one of them for some more up to date info

ady1:

If the blood test shows a high sugar level you may be able to manageg it by diet ( I do :wink: )
just avoid high sugar foods, fatty foods and cut down the amount of cider you drink ( cider is full of sugar!!)

your doc will try diet first, then pills - I doubt you will need insulin

Best of luck, Ady. As has already been said, the VAST majority of Diabetes is Type 2, which doesn’t involve insulin and doesn’t affect your licence. There are so many Type 2 Diabetics at our place they may as well order mass prescriptions so only one needs to go to the chemist! :laughing:

Let us know how it went when you’re ready. I know how scary it can be when you don’t know where you stand. (((HUG)))

well had blood test today at 9.00 a.m after a night of fasting.
tried to use it as a way of finding out more about water sample test, the nurse said shes not a doctor but the only reason she knows for having sugar in your water is diabetis.
but she said i should be thirst y[ im not ], feeling tired [ on our job with the shifts, early starts etc, etc its a job not to feel tired, passing water a lot [ i am, but im that worried , nervous about loosing my license ] i think its causing me too visit the toilet 2 secs after i leave it .
any way ill just have to wait for 2.oo p.m for result.again thanks for all the advice
p.s dont buy a book on diabetis from the chemist as itll have you more worried than ever :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

2.00 p.m monday i should of put

first of all try not to panic
second it takes 2 fasting blood test’s before they confim diabetes
type 2 they usually try and control with diet before they give you pills and shouldn’t affect your licence

most of my maternal family have diabetes all started out as type 2 after having it for around 10 years they then went on to insulin most of them were diagnosed when in their 40’s which is about the usual age for it to happen

some foods can push your sugar level up if eaten a certain amount of time before having your urine or blood tested
fatty food,carbohydrates and of course sugary food
hth

well got my result yesterday from doctors and girl who gives blood test results said it was clear :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: [ it did have me worried , not a cider all weekend :cry: :cry: .
the only thing that concerns me i my doctors away for 2 weeks so girl said shed get the medical form sorted out for me, which sian picked up.
but it says on it
following finding of glucose [doctor said sugar[ assume its the same] positive on urine sample - fasting blood glucose = 6.1,so diabetis NOT confirmed.
after the girl said test was clear i would of thought theyd of put NO DIABETIS found after fasting blood test.
reads to me as if there saying i may or maynot be diabetic, or is it just the way doctors word things or i read things.

it says not confirmed which means they haven’t found any
i’d read that as a no, well done

What a relief. Nice one. :wink:

ady1:
well got my result yesterday from doctors and girl who gives blood test results said it was clear :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: [ it did have me worried , not a cider all weekend :cry: :cry: .
the only thing that concerns me i my doctors away for 2 weeks so girl said shed get the medical form sorted out for me, which sian picked up.
but it says on it
following finding of glucose [doctor said sugar[ assume its the same] positive on urine sample - fasting blood glucose = 6.1,so diabetis NOT confirmed.
after the girl said test was clear i would of thought theyd of put NO DIABETIS found after fasting blood test.
reads to me as if there saying i may or maynot be diabetic, or is it just the way doctors word things or i read things.

Glucose is the most basic sugar.
Your bodies digestive system breaks all other carbohydrates down to glucose.

‘Diabetes not confirmed’ is doctor speak for ‘No Diabetes’, so you’re in the clear.
They write funny.

(I studied biology as part of a uni’ course, I failed the course despite passing the biology part. My wife was a nurse so an expert translater, she added that 6.1 blood glucose is at. the high end of the normal range, so see what you can do to reduce your sugar intake)

Sorry - I’m a bit late; only just found this thread. Shame, as its a subject very close to me. My ex was type 1 as is my 17 year old son (since he was 7), my grandfather, father, uncle and brother are all type 2 and I have been for the last 2 years.

However, I was told I was type 2 but that I probably should be on insulin as my HBA1C was >14. However, I refused all medication and reduced my HBA1C to 5.9 - every nurse I see at clinic thinks that I am a mistake and should not be classed as diabetic. However, I did it all by diet - it can be done and most type 2 diabetics do not need medication if they modify their diet.

Unfortunately, type 1 is an instant loss of LGV entitlement and 5 yearly licence renewal for other licences if you are on insulin. There is currently no cure for type 1 :frowning: