medical

hi everyone ,I have a hgv class one lience and have to have a medical every five years.i am considering doing my coach lience but have been told I have to have a separate medical.can anyone give any information on this,cheers

No, one medical will suffice.

hfb5050:
hi everyone ,I have a hgv class one lience and have to have a medical every five years.i am considering doing my coach lience but have been told I have to have a separate medical.can anyone give any information on this,cheers

DEPENDS …

Do you already have PCV provisional on the paper part - if yes then medical already covers PCV

If no PCV provisional then when was the last D4 medical done because if within a few months then that can count for PCV provisional application

Do you have a pre 1997 car licence?

hfb5050:

I believe that it is correct that you will need to undergo another medical for your pcv licence.

If I remember correctly, if you already hold a class 1 AND a pcv licence you can renew both at the same (5 yearly) renewal time on just the one medical, (as I have recently done) but if you only hold a class 1 and, as in your case, you decide to later take up a pcv I believe you have to undergo another medical for the pcv.

I say this because many years ago, I took the medical to renew my lgv class1 and pcv class1 both at the same time (obviously using just the 1 medical), the licence application form allows both licences to be renewed at the same time, but I made a mistake and missed filling in the pcv part of the form and I received my licence back with only the class1 renewed but NOT the pcv licence renewal, I immediately contacted them and told them of my mistake and was informed that I would have to make another application for the pcv along with another medical !!.. I was told that the one medical was fine for renewing both licences but only if the application was made for both licences at the same time.

As it happened, I didnt have use for my pcv (crap pay!) so I left things as they were.
My 5 yearly renewal recently became due so I submitted the application with a medical and a correctly completed form with both my licence details and I received the new licence which now includes both my lgv1 and pcv1 qualifications.

I renewed my HGV in March 2002 and passed my PCV in May 2003 and simply sent the pass slip with licence to DVLA and new licence issued. No separate medical needed then.

waddy640:
I renewed my HGV in March 2002 and passed my PCV in May 2003 and simply sent the pass slip with licence to DVLA and new licence issued. No separate medical needed then.

My story was from over 10 years ago, ‘common sense’ has probably prevailed since then. :smiley: