Medical

Had my medical first week in May, sent of the licence and all forms. I havent got my licence back and its been more than a month. Is this normal. Any ideas how I can speed things up? I might need it in a couple of weeks.

Things aren’t normal anywhere really, DVLA especially have gotten their Covid response badly wrong, now they’re having strikes about it. I doubt there’s anything you can do to help things along, it’s a national disgrace that an essential service like this is so badly disrupted - by comparison the average processing time to renew your passport is 14 days, yet no one is supposed to be going abroad, or are they? I can’t keep up with Boris’s shenanigans these days…

Zac_A:
Things aren’t normal anywhere really, DVLA especially have gotten their Covid response badly wrong, now they’re having strikes about it. I doubt there’s anything you can do to help things along, it’s a national disgrace that an essential service like this is so badly disrupted - by comparison the average processing time to renew your passport is 14 days, yet no one is supposed to be going abroad, or are they? I can’t keep up with Boris’s shenanigans these days…

Neither can Boris. Glad I have Wee Jimmie Krankie in charge of my Country.

If you have sent off the form, the onus is on them to do something at least. You can most likely legally carry on driving. What an employer thinks about that is another question. I am presuming you are using the licence commercially?

Bought a car two weeks ago, the garage informed me there has been a spate of strikes at DVLA, might be a few weeks before I get the registration doc`s,could be the reason for the delay on getting anything back.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … h-dvla.pdf

A few if’s and but’s to wade through but it might be useful

Noremac:
If you have sent off the form, the onus is on them to do something at least. You can most likely legally carry on driving. What an employer thinks about that is another question. I am presuming you are using the licence commercially?

My usual work is driving a school bus. The schools come off to morrow(Scotland). I sometimes do a bit of agency on the class 2s during the holidays. I dont really need it now as I am nearly retired. Just I might get bored and want something to do.

I passed my category G (Steam road roller) on Friday, with in ten minutes of passing had an email confirming I had passed. On Sunday licences was updated online and today I received my new licence.

I got a letter inviting me to renew my tacho card.
Paid the £19.00 online and the card arrived in the post two days later.
Four days after paying online I received a text saying my application is being processed and I’ll receive the card within five days.

Good 'ole DVLA.

The message actually says your application has been processed - ie it is telling you the card is on the way, not that they are still processing your application.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I had a waiver last June, no D4 medical needed.
This year I started my renewal in early May. Impossible to get through on the phone. Web chat generated an email response from DVLA. Badly worded, it stated D4 medicals are waived in 2021.
6 weeks later, the day after my C+E expired, Royal Mail return my green D2 with a letter stating because I benefited from a D4 waiver last year, “In the interests of road safety” I cannot have a D4 waiver in 2 consecutive years. That letter, second class, took 8 days to get to me. WTF!

Warning to all: If you had a D4 waiver last year, you must have a D4 medical this year. Do not wait for your D47P personalised renewals form to arrive from Swansea, it’ll be too late. Get a D2 and D4 from certain Post Offices.
Send by Recorded Delivery, Track and Trace will prove Swansea have a “Valid Application” from the applicant, who can therefore continue to drive.
Use the online Gov.uk Licence Checker to follow the status.

src:
Do not wait for your D47P personalised renewals form to arrive from Swansea, it’ll be too late…

Another warning is that the waiver from last year doesn’t extend your licence by 1 year from the previous expiry, but only 1 year from the application date. Eg: in my case last expiry August, new one July.

DVLA only sent forms 2 weeks ago, booked medical for beginning of July (first Sat I could get, needed due to working nights), then realised the above. Now could be royally stuffed if work don’t accept section 88 unless DVLA get a major shift-on which they really need to do for everyones sake.