Medical

do you get a reminder that you’re medical is due?

I would think your Medical is due when your Licence is due for renewal

dreamlands2001:
do you get a reminder that you’re medical is due?

Just had my medical as I’m the big 50 soon and the reminder along with all the forms came through approx 5 weeks before renewal date.

If your last licence was issued before October 2012 then change the photo even if not expired and get 5 extra years for the LGV from the date of the new license issue

I’m being encouraged to send a new photo with the completed forms and the completed (have to pay the doctor) Medical form.

I have not been able to swing it so that I get another five years by just renewing the photo though. :unamused:

I’m hoping that on agency - I don’t have to pay for the private fee all by myself. :frowning:

I have had sent though - both a D47P form AND a D2 form that doesn’t need a medical it seems… I could take the gamble that a photo renewal on the D2 form might get me a licence with another 5 years entitlement on it, but I too turn 50 next month - and I can’t see how I’m going to get around having to have this medical in the next few weeks - one way or the other.

Has anyone else had the experience of renewing at 50 via the D2 form - without getting lumped with the medical need after having done that? :confused:

Winseer:
I have not been able to swing it so that I get another five years by just renewing the photo though.

Why :question:

ROG:
If your last licence was issued before October 2012 then change the photo even if not expired and get 5 extra years for the LGV from the date of the new license issue

Why put off having a medical is beyond me,its for your benefit as well as the DVLA,
I would sooner know if I had a medical condition,especially something like the Glasgow Bin Man who crashed killing six.
You could be an potential accident waiting to happen,just because of being a cheap scate.

lolipop:

ROG:

Why put off having a medical is beyond me,its for your benefit as well as the DVLA,
I would sooner know if I had a medical condition,especially something like the Glasgow Bin Man who crashed killing six.
You could be an potential accident waiting to happen,just because of being a cheap scate.

The bin driver lied so skipping a medical would not make a difference

I had the extra 5 years and thought there was a mistake because I simply changed the nearly expired photo but it transpired that the first issue of the new style license after Oct 2012 gives this under an EU thing

This ended up with me now having about 10 years between D4 medicals so I went and had the free NHS well man check up at my GPs where I found it to be a better overall health check - I even had a free consult with my GP and asked if there were any driving issues

As that was all done for free I cannot help but advise others to do the same and save money

Yes you get reminder in the form of the licence renewal which DVCLA sends to you.
Remember to search on the net for a good deal on the medical cost . Mine costs half of what the GP charges and is no less thorough
Remember you can reclaim from HMRC cost of medical and travel to the surgery and subsistence. Make a list of any other interesting ailments which you may have and can ask the doc about at this “free” private medical consultation

ROG:

Winseer:
I have not been able to swing it so that I get another five years by just renewing the photo though.

…because DVLA instead of accepting my completed form D2, have sent me a D47P in response instead. :frowning:

In any case, I’ll now be sending another photo (since I have 4 of them) with the D47P form, and have now got to scratch around to find the £117.50 my GP wants to have the medical done.
I wear glasses now, unlike five years ago. I also worry about if that is going to have an impact on any “unaided eyesight test” I might have.

The other big question I have regarding medicals is this:
It says on the form that I am supposed to surrender the old photocard licence. IF I am expected to carry this at all times whilst driving for work - then I can’t afford to sit out for the time the post takes to come around - especially if it could take 2-3 weeks to get done… What is the accepted procedure for carrying on working whilst you get your licence renewed, when of course you are applying BEFORE it has actually expired?

Winseer:

ROG:

Winseer:

…because DVLA instead of accepting my completed form D2, have sent me a D47P in response instead. :frowning:

In any case, I’ll now be sending another photo (since I have 4 of them) with the D47P form, and have now got to scratch around to find the £117.50 my GP wants to have the medical done.
I wear glasses now, unlike five years ago. I also worry about if that is going to have an impact on any “unaided eyesight test” I might have.

The other big question I have regarding medicals is this:
It says on the form that I am supposed to surrender the old photocard licence. IF I am expected to carry this at all times whilst driving for work - then I can’t afford to sit out for the time the post takes to come around - especially if it could take 2-3 weeks to get done… What is the accepted procedure for carrying on working whilst you get your licence renewed, when of course you are applying BEFORE it has actually expired?

I told DVLA that I ‘lost’ mine :wink:

postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder - use that to find your nearest PO which can do the photo renewal directly then simply change the photo and see what happens in regard to the LGV expiry date

Remember to tick the box Driving - DVLA Photocard Renewal