MEDICAL QUESTION

Hello all

I went for my HGV medical yesterday, but as i wear glasses, i was unable to read the letters held up by the doctor without my galsses on,so he marked me down on this.

If i apply for my licience, would this be turned down?

I was able to read the last but one line with my glasses on, and he said that was ok.

Please advise

many thanks
alan

Presumably when you were reading the chart without your glasses on it was one eye at a time ?

Have a look at what the doctor wrote on the Form D4 (section 1.3), the uncorrected visual acuity in each eye must be no less than 3/60.

What does it say on your form ?

You can learn more about what’s required for the medical here (page 7 for eyesight)

The doctor has to put the results down of your vision uncorrected. It will be up to the DVLA whether they issue a licence. Do you have to wear glasses to drive your car?

Were you not able to read any of the letters without your glasses? If this is the case, then this is bad news because you need to at least read the big letter at the top with each eye without specs.

As for the test with your glasses, then this would be more than good enough. You would even get away with reading the line above this.

It all comes down to visual acuity. To meet the minimum requirement without glasses you need a visual acuity of 3/60 with each eye. This is the same as the top line. With glasses you need a visual acuity of at least 6/9 (the second bottom line) in your best eye and and at least 6/12 (the third bottom line) in your worst eye. Hope this helps.

Hello again

Uncorrected… the doctor wrote “worse than 6/60 both eyes uncorrected”
Corrected… 6/9 right,6/9 left

i wear glasses for driving , all the time, also contact lenses as well.

regards alan

cosa200:
Hello again

Uncorrected… the doctor wrote “worse than 6/60 both eyes uncorrected”
Corrected… 6/9 right,6/9 left

i wear glasses for driving , all the time, also contact lenses as well.

regards alan

I have to say that my knowledge of this is very limited, but as your uncorrected sight is less than half the required standard I’m afraid it may not be good news :frowning:

Having said that it may be worth checking your last opticians prescription to make sure there’s been no mistake.

Assuming that there is no mistake then I think your best bet would be to ask “The Drivers Medical Group, DVLA Swansea SA99 1TU or phone 0300 790 6807” for advise.

Good luck mate and do let us know how you get on :wink:

Why did’nt you ask the doctor there and then ?

Deathstar:
Why did’nt you ask the doctor there and then ?

I did, but he was none the wiser! :confused:

Alan