medical question

hi

im looking to take my lgv/hgv training but i have an ongoing health issue, i started getting chest pains a few years ago and i was told it was Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ive had tests done on my heart and its all come back ok :smiley: thank god, under continued investigation because its getting worse as im now getting breathless and having heart palpitations (well what feels like palpitations but its can be caused by the GERD /anxiety ) again my heart has been checked and all is ok :smiley: ive now been told that the breathlessness could be asthma so im being checked for that. if im found to be asthmatic could i still be a lorry driver? should i wait until i diagnosed and before starting the training? would i fail the medical on these grounds? apart from this GERD/asthma looming over me im in general good health.

on a side note ive been reading that i should avoid all the big broker companies so i found one called roadtrain and wondered if anyone had any experience of them? the thing that attracted me to them was they offer a nob obligation test drive around their training centre which surely must they are confident they have a good school.

thanks

mrlacey1983:
hi

im looking to take my lgv/hgv training but i have an ongoing health issue, i started getting chest pains a few years ago and i was told it was Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ive had tests done on my heart and its all come back ok :smiley: thank god, under continued investigation because its getting worse as im now getting breathless and having heart palpitations (well what feels like palpitations but its can be caused by the GERD /anxiety ) again my heart has been checked and all is ok :smiley: ive now been told that the breathlessness could be asthma so im being checked for that. if im found to be asthmatic could i still be a lorry driver? should i wait until i diagnosed and before starting the training? would i fail the medical on these grounds? apart from this GERD/asthma looming over me im in general good health.

on a side note ive been reading that i should avoid all the big broker companies so i found one called roadtrain and wondered if anyone had any experience of them? the thing that attracted me to them was they offer a nob obligation test drive around their training centre which surely must they are confident they have a good school.

thanks

You shouldn’t have an issue with the asthma. Regards the other I will let others more knowledgeable answer. I would expect that the dvla will request a doctors report. I had one and it took 3 months from medical to receiving my provisional so bear that in mind.

Don’t know that company but any proper trainer will offer an assessment drive. You may have to pay but it isn’t usually much. Probably worth 2 to compare. Its a lot of money your spending so they shouldn’t mind you asking. If they do that says enough!

Roadtrain is one of the handful of DSVA Accredited LGV Schools. This is the full list

dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Roadtrain are great.

GERD won’t cause you an issue with your Medical.
If it hadn’t been thoroughly investigated and you reported those symptoms to the Doctor doing the medical it might cause an issue, but I can’t see any issue in the circumstances you’ve explained.

To check your fitness, I would definitely recommend a 50 mile cycle ride. If you can’t do that, you really shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a lorry. Just cycle at a nice gentle pace, 5 hours is quick enough!