Medical passed! Finally!

After an almighty effort I passed my medical, I’m now on blood pressure tablets for ever, so learning to drive a truck may have saved my life!!! I had to wear one of those monitors for 24 hours to pass the thing, I passed my Theory and Hazard Perception last week which I have to say was much easier than I thought it would be. I now need some help with a good Driver Training school for my test and my CPC, I’m 44 and have C1 already on my licence so what do I need to do? All help much appreciated folks :open_mouth: I’m in Leeds, and yes, supporting United is not a great help when trying to pass these tests :cry:

Good to hear you got through your medical…Although coming into this proffession might not help your blood pressure…You should check out the stickies on the forum for approved training schools…Avoid brokers at all costs…Oh and i feel your pain about United…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good luck with your practical. Well done on passing your theories.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hello from Elland Road! Glad to hear your medical condition was caught and is under control, I would be counting my blessings if that was me. Have you done your cpc case studies test yet?

I’m in a similar position to you; next up is to choose a trainer. I’ve gone with Peter Smythe. There are a fair few around Leeds and surrounding areas but most aren’t worth a mention. The other few that are just didn’t suit me due to the limited time I have available this year.

Do your research and pick the one you’re most comfortable with. Take a test drive or two if you can.

dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Well I decided Peter Smythes training had far too many good reviews to ignore, so I’ve booked myself onto one of their residential courses, I’ve had my 1st days training today with Chris and have really enjoyed it! The first few attempts were a bit weird,especially getting used to braking, and of course keeping my left foot still, along with reaching for a gearstick that doesn’t exist!!! As the day went on I became more confident, then I was reminded not to drive it like a car, as Chris pointed out its a bit heavier and doesn’t corner the same! So I’m sat in my hotel room mulling over my day, looking forward to tomorrow morning, I’ve definitely made a good choice with PSTT.

Glad it’s going well learning VAN driving mate, and us real drivers commend your efforts to better yourself! :wink:

As for your joy over choosing PSTT, let’s put that in context…
You’re from Leeds and you support United, who I thought had disbanded? :open_mouth:
Everything is going to look good compared to that mate! :laughing:

Sadly these days, alas, I have no argument, I just want a manager to last longer than a couple of months, and the only thing wrong with PSTT? I had to cross the border out of gods own country!!! They all talk a bit funny down south tha knows :wink:

TMAN, thanks for choosing us for your training and I’m pleased you’re happy with your choice and it’s started off ok.

E8B, comment a bit lost on be as I’m neither from Leeds or a football supporter! But I seem to recall our training did you no harm!!

Peter Smythe:
E8B, comment a bit lost on be as I’m neither from Leeds or a football supporter! But I seem to recall our training did you no harm!!

There’s no reference to your facilities there Pete, just a dig about football and a Yorkshire city… :smiley:
You feeling a bit protective Pete? :wink:

Best county in England according to all the Yorkshire folk living in Southampton I meet! :open_mouth:

You feeling a bit protective Pete?

LOL, yes!

Had my second day with my trainer Chris, patience of a saint!!! Went really well for the most, nailed the reverse 3 times on the trot, this is easy, can you guess what’s coming? Day 3 starts really well, getting up to speed better, remembering those mirrors, most of the time anyway!!! Had a quick coffee and back out, it seemed as though someone had wiped my brain clean of all I had learned, clipped a kerb, missed some signals, and to cap it all my reversing was absolutely Crap, using the wide angle mirror instead of the normal one, what a tool, as ever though Chris calmed me down, explained my faults and how to rectify them.
Well it’s test day tomorrow, 2 hours training before, I just hope I’ve got all the crap driving out of the way today, what will be will be :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Don’t sweat it pal, having a brain ■■■■ isn’t unusual, or not for me! :smiley:
I’m sure you’ll be fine, you seem to have the right attitude and aren’t over-stressing about it…

Best of luck.

You’ve made all the mistakes, so the test will be fine. Just keep concentrating and play an 80 minute game. :grimacing:
Unless you’re a football nut in which case play for 90 minutes… :wink:

Well I’m back in Leeds having travelled back from Nottinghamshire, I had my last days training today with my instructor Chris, after yesterday’s total brain freeze moments I was determined to give it my best shot. The pre-test drive went pretty well, I even managed to reverse today using the right mirror, not the wide angle one like yesterday!!!
Test time came and my examiner seemed like a decent bloke, I had decided after advice on this very forum to engage him in a little conversation, which made me feel much more at ease, I didn’t want to sit in silence for over an hour!!!
The test was going well until I got a dreaded bin wagon on a narrow street, one of the operatives, that’s what they call them now apparently!,madly waving me round when I couldn’t see a thing as it was on a bit of a bend, they eventually moved up and I managed to get round :blush:
Then it started to pee it down, it had been sunny all week and here I am thinking do I remember how to turn the wipers on!!!
After what seemed like forever we are turning back towards base and I’m wondering what mistakes I’ve made, we pull up in the yard, he says give me some time to complete my paperwork, then he says im pleased, I don’t hear anything else, yipeeeeee :smiley:
Many thanks to all the team a Peter Smythes, so professional, Aaron is a superstar!!!
I pass with 2 minors, one for speed, to slow, and one for allegedly not checking my left hand mirror when pulling back in past that pesky bin wagon, thanks to everyone at truck net for all the advice, right, I’m off, this is turning into an Oscar speech!!!

Brilliant result. Thanks for the kind comments and pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

All the best for the future, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
TMAN, thanks for choosing us for your training and I’m pleased you’re happy with your choice and it’s started off ok.

Poaching from my area and I’m a massive Leeds United fan.

#trainerwarbegins :smiley:

Paul :smiley:

LittleCar:
I’m in a similar position to you; next up is to choose a trainer. I’ve gone with Peter Smythe. There are a fair few around Leeds and surrounding areas but most aren’t worth a mention.

CHARMING!! :smiley: