Medical & Licence Renewals

Got the above in November.
What’s the current situation now with the DVLA? Can we get medicals and a licence renewal or is there delays?

mikeshe:
What’s the current situation now with the DVLA? Can we get medicals and a licence renewal or is there delays?

I’ll let you know. I sent my completed medical form of last Tuesday afternoon. Licence expiry date date is 22 September.
I’m hearing there is a 3 month backlog so will probably be xmas before the new ticket arrives

msgyorkie:

mikeshe:

I’ll let you know. I sent my completed medical form of last Tuesday afternoon. Licence expiry date date is 22 September.
I’m hearing there is a 3 month backlog so will probably be xmas before the new ticket arrives

Does that mean you have to take the hgv test from scratch once it ‘expires’ ? :open_mouth:

manalishi:
Does that mean you have to take the hgv test from scratch once it ‘expires’ ? :open_mouth:

No.

One of the issues raised was that of driving licence applicants having to obtain medicals from health care providors other than their own GP and as they don’t access to patient records, having to take the applicants word about health issues, and being a bit of a cynic I wondered whether this was something they might be considering stamping down on.

The British Medical Association has jumped on the bandwaggon to line the pockets of its members. The theory is right but are they asleep to the current situation? Very tempted to say bring it on tomorrow and see what happens to deliveries.

gponline.com/bma-calls-chan … le/1725352

Harry Monk:

manalishi:

No.

One of the issues raised was that of driving licence applicants having to obtain medicals from health care providors other than their own GP and as they don’t access to patient records, having to take the applicants word about health issues, and being a bit of a cynic I wondered whether this was something they might be considering stamping down on.

I have to say I agree with them. My company has its own health care provider and we get sent to them for our medicals. After checking height, weight, eyesite and blood pressure the rest was just me telling him no issues with my health. Its ridiculous really taking the drivers word on the matter.
It should be with your GP who has access to your medical files

cav551:
The British Medical Association has jumped on the bandwaggon to line the pockets of its members. The theory is right but are they asleep to the current situation? Very tempted to say bring it on tomorrow and see what happens to deliveries.

gponline.com/bma-calls-chan … le/1725352

■■■■ takers.
You couldn’t get near a bloody doctor for the last 18 months, in some cases they wouldn’t visit ailing poor old buggers left to die alone in prison camps, sorry, care homes, but when there’s a chance of trousering £150 they want it for themselves.

The drivers medical is a complete waste of time, unless you have something obviously wrong with you that even your employer would notice, then you will be passed as fit to drive based upon what you tell or divulge. Only your own Dr should be doing a medical as it would be more difficult to massage the truth about your health without him knowing if of course you have already seen him about any ailments. As it stands, the medical is on par with the driver CPC, just a money scam.

Yorkshire Tramper:
As it stands, the medical is on par with the driver CPC, just a money scam.

All the more…

Reason not to be shelling out hundreds when you can get it done for around fifty then.

Even an expensive medical won’t stop anyone from having a heart attack 4 years later at the wheel.

If they really cared about our health, we wouldn’t be able to work 45 hours by Wednesdays would we.

Sent my D4 and application for the vocationals beginning of the month - got a text a couple of days ago saying there will be a delay (usual high volumes bilge) - but unless I have been advised not to drive or there were any medical issues then I can continue to drive whilst the DVLA get there act together.

It doesn’t help of course in these difficult times that they are striking about something or other :imp:

There’s an entry on gov.uk - here’s the reference INF188/6 - I’ve printed it off and carry a copy - it tells you all about carrying on driving whilst meeting requirements.

yourhavingalarf:
If they really cared about our health, we wouldn’t be able to work 45 hours by Wednesdays would we.

Bingo! ^^^ This in a nutshell. Mr Larf has won the internet for this week.

mikeshe:
What’s the current situation now with the DVLA?

Can still do renewals and medicals, although theres quite a long wait for medicals even from the hotel medical providers (3 weeks when I did mine).

They currently doing 25th June applications and last 2 weeks it was 23rd June. That gives an idea of the backlog. But as mentioned in other threads, you can drive under section 88.

Photocopy your completed D4 and renewal then send it all back special delivery. Copy the receipt and when royal mail get a signature, print that out. Keep all those copies with you if it runs out as your temporary licence. Got all mine in a folder in my bag.

gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona … pplication

Photocopy your completed D4 and renewal then send it all back special delivery. Copy the receipt and when royal mail get a signature, print that out. Keep all those copies with you if it runs out as your temporary licence. Got all mine in a folder in my bag.

This ^^^^^. Very important to keep all the bits of paper - I’ve shoved mine in a sleeve to keep it all together.

The BMA fees committee guy apparently said:

“‘The third party doctor will of necessity be basing their assessment on such information provided by the applicant with regard to their medical history,’”

Well, yeah, that is the current process, so why wouldn’t they? The medical records are only supposed to be accessed if the medical declarations indicate a requirement to. If GPs intend to do something other than this and request payment for it, then this seems like a good reason to steer clear of GPs. Along with this, the requests from many GP practices for “cash only” doesn’t particularly look great for the reputation of the BMA and its members.

trevHCS:
They currently doing 25th June applications and last 2 weeks it was 23rd June. That gives an idea of the backlog. But as mentioned in other threads, you can drive under section 88.

gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona … pplication

Done mine (and sent it all off) on the 24th of June, I was about to write “still not heard anything back yet” but decided to quickly check online before I continued (I last checked yesterday believe it or not) and it’s actually now been updated, I assume the physical licence will arrive on my mat in the next few days.

One thing has slightly confused me though (but I’m buggered if I’m going to contact the DVLA about it), my eyesight was within the requirement for car drivers but was just shy for the LGV yet I now have an 01 restriction on all categories, meaning of course I have to wear glasses whenever and whatever I drive now (Yes I am wearing them at all times in the lorry anyway and more often than not forget to take them off once in my car to go home at shifts end) but still, oh well never mind I’ll just have to get into the habit of wearing them when popping down the shop or when heading to work.

I’ve come back to lorry driving after 6yrs. Left a ‘safe’ civil service job as a driving examiner (cars) to put my bum back in the driving seat :open_mouth:. The plan was to work part time on agency.

Got signed up to a job I’m happy with, and after a few shifts spent trying to remember how to operate the sun visor, which way round to put the card in, finding the cup holder and figuring out how to point it and make it move, I seemed to be easing back in.

Knowing my licence was expiring soon, got the medical sorted and all sent off 5 weeks ago… The agency has now told me that my licence has expired (20th) and regardless of what I tell them about still being able to drive - they can only go by what they see on the records - expired. So no work since then. I can’t blame them, but from reading this it looks like I’m going to be struggling for a while longer :neutral_face:.

Yorkshire Tramper:
The drivers medical is a complete waste of time, unless you have something obviously wrong with you that even your employer would notice, then you will be passed as fit to drive based upon what you tell or divulge. Only your own Dr should be doing a medical as it would be more difficult to massage the truth about your health without him knowing if of course you have already seen him about any ailments. As it stands, the medical is on par with the driver CPC, just a money scam.

The D4 form - seems to imply that the eyesight bit is of paramount importance…