Medical History Requested

Hi all I’ve been working for my current employer for just over two years, yesterday I was given a medical history form to complete, was told that its because I’ve been there two years, seems rather odd to me, as I’ve never had to do this before. What would happen if i refuse?

Depends what their terms says.

For me it depends in the quality of the form. If it’s a standard “do you/have you suffered from etc” with yes/no I’ve no problem. Anything deeper I’d suggest their concern would warrant them sending for me for a medical at their own cost.

You can point towards things like the Glasgow bin wagon driver for stuff like this but while I’m normally against the whole “if you’ve nothing to hide” reasoning for once I can actually say genuinely what is the problem if there’s no problem? Assuming as above its a yes/no thing

We get one every year, have you ever/do you suffer from. Tick box yes or no, eyesight changed etc. Basically a cover their ■■■■ exercise.

Used to have an outside occupational health bod in every year when I worked at the mill, lung function tests and stuff to make sure the dust wasnt doing nasty things to us.

I’ve asked the drivers that have been here more than two years this morning and none have had to do one, most have said do you reckon the boss has lost the first one, on the other hand it could be they’re trying to find something to get rid of me, but as they’re struggling to get or keep drivers I doubt that. Also there is nothing in the contract that says I must fill one out, it just says I have to inform them of any health matters that would affect my job!!

Stephenjp:
I’ve asked the drivers that have been here more than two years this morning and none have had to do one

Maybe they apply an age threshold are all the drivers including you similar age ?.

Do you like…

The job? Are you earning sufficient and can you do most of the runs with your eyes closed?

If yes to all or some of those, just fill the form in.

If you wanna get uppity about the ‘tick your gender’ question, just ignore it or put ‘I’m related to a small rock from Sheerness beach’.

Mate, it’s not worth chaining yerself to the railings or flinging yerself in front of some racehorses to make a small stand over this. Your firm (big or small) won’t give a toss and will think about looking for another driver that will fill the form in.

If they were really pertinent questions ie; what’s your long term investment stragety for shorting on US hedge funds or, please give the banking codes for your grandmothers bank accounts, yeh sure, tell 'em to ■■■■ off but it’s pretty much a few Q’s to establish whether or not you have testicles or ovaries.

Depends what they are asking really. Perfectly normal to ask about medication and basic health like do you have asthma etc…

Stephenjp:
Hi all I’ve been working for my current employer for just over two years, yesterday I was given a medical history form to complete, was told that its because I’ve been there two years, seems rather odd to me, as I’ve never had to do this before. What would happen if i refuse?

Upload the form here. Whether the request is reasonable or not depends on what they are requesting. No-one can offer any advice of any use based on the tiny amount of info you’ve provided thus far.

Cheers for the replies, its mainly a tick box questionnaire, although you do have to elaborate on certain questions, I get that some of you have one every year, at no point was I told this would be a regular thing.

I’ve now completed the questionnaire, just need to hand it in.

We get them at least once a year for general health and one for night working. Just general stuff like you get on the 5 year medical plus usually previous occupation stuff and lifting etc.

They probably either just started doing them or realised they not done it, although our lot keep losing the blinking forms at head office.

Not filling it in would likely get you suspended and then disciplinary with potential gross misconduct firing (if you still refused) as you can’t declare you are fit to do the job. They see it as a potential risk to other people working there. They have a duty of care to both you, the other workers and public especially if something went badly wrong (HSE and traffic commissioner).

If you want to keep the job, fill it in as accurately as possible. If you want a new job, don’t, but the new one will likely have the same. Welcome to arse covering.