medical forms

Juddian:
Rog, a quick question if you don’t mind.

My licence is due for renewal in October.

My medical always gets referred to the relevant section at Swansea due to a childhood eye injury, so it’s so called grandfather rights that keeps me entitled, hopefully…so as you can imagine its always a worrying time in case they shifted the goal posts re those rights and i apply at the wrong moment and get shafted.

Bearing in mind Mick’s post today where despite doing the photo loophole he’s still required to have a medical, is it worth me trying this or shall i just wait till the forms come through.

Thanks.

Mine also got referred due to an eye issue - was on 3 year licence - but by changing photo they gave me 5 years
Bet it goes back to 3 years next time

Harry Monk:

mick.mh2racing:
I followed ROG’s advice, I applied at my nearest post office for a new photo card and had my photo taken and paid my £20.
However I just received a letter from DVLA saying I need a medical and enclose the forms to take to my doctor and that my licence won’t be issued until I do.

I had the same, so perhaps they are tightening up on this.

I think it still depends on how long your existing licence has to run. In Mick’s case it was only a few weeks, so the renewal process may have already started in his case. How long did yours have to run, Harry?

ROG:

Juddian:
Rog, a quick question if you don’t mind.

My licence is due for renewal in October.

My medical always gets referred to the relevant section at Swansea due to a childhood eye injury, so it’s so called grandfather rights that keeps me entitled, hopefully…so as you can imagine its always a worrying time in case they shifted the goal posts re those rights and i apply at the wrong moment and get shafted.

Bearing in mind Mick’s post today where despite doing the photo loophole he’s still required to have a medical, is it worth me trying this or shall i just wait till the forms come through.

Thanks.

Mine also got referred due to an eye issue - was on 3 year licence - but by changing photo they gave me 5 years
Bet it goes back to 3 years next time

Yes i suspect if there’s known issues, and mines been since i first got the licence, then it’ll be medical.

Thanks.

Is this loophole only for licences issued prior to 2012 and Medicals due shortly?

Mines 2014, obviously got till 2019 but I know I’ll be moving house next year, when I change address on licence if I get new photo will I get a fresh 5 yr medical window ?

dcgpx:
Is this loophole only for licences issued prior to 2012 and Medicals due shortly?

Mines 2014, obviously got till 2019 but I know I’ll be moving house next year, when I change address on licence if I get new photo will I get a fresh 5 yr medical window ?

If your licence was issued in 2014 it will already be under the “new” rules (I think). So no, you would not be able to take advantage of this “loophole”.

ROG:

speedyguy:
Oi ROG, Can i pick your brains :slight_smile: Passed C+E in early 90’s and have a photocard licence

Due to being old my first medical was due 2 years ago but i never bothered to renew with the relevant forms, (D47P)
I assume i need a medical and was thinging of booking one with these next week manchesterlgvclinic.co.uk/ for the D4 to be filled in, anyone got any experience of them or somewhere reasonable in the South Mcr area ?

Assuming i’m as fit as a flea :grimacing: , i’ll need to splash out for a digicard now with all this new fangled technology.

D4 medical to get LGV current again
Digicard needed in most cases
DQC needed

Well Medical done last month, Digicard arrived this week now the DQC dilemma, already employed full time PAYE as an “orrifice worker” :grimacing: :confused: so do i consider moving trucks about on “favours”/trade plates and mot tests or go the whole hog and bin the office and go back to driving.
Then OD again or not ■■
I left driving as it wasn’t exactly challenging but paid good money, now it’s the other way round nowt but ■■■■■ money and earache but could be interesting if you could “sort” out the problems :neutral_face:

WHY is it so many on this Forum feel the need to avoid having a medical.
Look at the recent news about the Glasgow bin man,six killed,is it really worth it avoiding a medical.

lurpak:
I renewed my licence about 3 months before my medical and did it on line. When i thought my medical was up i got in to a bit of a panic as they hadn’t sent the forms for my through. On phoning the DVLA they told me that as I had applied on line it was all covered until 2020 as Rog said. When I applied they asked me to sign up to the Government Portal ( I think that’s what they called it) and you register all your info on there ie Passport ,Nat ins number etc. Any way after a few choice words with her in doors about different info I finished the form thinking i would then go on to apply for my licence only to find it was all done and my licence was on it’s way.As Rog said they used the photo off my passport which was different to my driving licence. I didn’t take much delight in telling my mate who is the same age and was flapping about having his eyes tested and medical to get it posted in time lol. I think it only cost £14 but don’t quote me. Ade

Great!
wished I had known this 3 weeks ago.
arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
This is what has happened in the last 3 weeks.
July 30th admitted to hospital
July 31st cancelled medical & eye test
August 3rd discharged from hospital
August 6th eye test
August 7th had medical
August 8th posted to dvla
August 13th got me licence back
total cost
£700 ish in lost wages
£10 eye test
£90 medical
63p postage
■■■■■■ off is an understatement.

lolipop:
Look at the recent news about the Glasgow bin man,six killed,is it really worth it avoiding a medical.

That driver lied so it would make no difference

don’t forget guys if your medical is sent in but your new license doesn’t arrive in time ring dvla and they will send you a covering letter saying that you are ok to drive, you will need this if stopped by vosa or police

ROG:

lolipop:

That driver lied so it would make no difference

As ROG said, the bloke lied about his medical history and no DVLA “Medical” as currently carried out would have discovered this. Why do people on this Forum persist in deluding themselves that the DVLA job is anything much more than a tick-box exercise? The majority of the “examination” consists of the doctor reading out questions from the form along the lines of “Have you ever suffered from <name of condition/illness>?” and recording your answer. This part of the “examination” is no better than the self-assessment questions to be answered when renewing without a medical. If a driver already knows or suspects It might be a bit better if it was required to be done by your regular GP (who would be familiar with your medical history), or if the doctor doing the examination/report at least had full access to your medical history.

Roymondo:
It might be a bit better if it was required to be done by your regular GP (who would be familiar with your medical history)

I agree if there was a statutory max amount they could charge - perhaps £60 ?

Actually, with the way GP surgeries tend to operate these days, I’m not sure there would be any benefit from going to your own GP. But I do think that it should be a requirement that the doctor doing the examination should have access to your medical history. Do-able if it is accessible on-line, but not practicable if it’s in the form of paper records.

I’m assuming that you can only use this workaround if it’s your first medical at 45? I say this because when you try to renew online - before you even get to start the process, it says:

“You can’t apply online if your name or title has changed or if you have a 5-year bus or lorry licence”

So the 5-years is the time between medicals after 45. Is that right?

As far as I know you cannot renew a vocational licence on-line - period.

The “workaround” can only be used once, and should be available to anyone who is already on 5-yearly renewals and whose current licence was issued before 2012.

Actually I think it could be used by anyone whose licence was issued before 2012 - but as it involves going over to 5-yearly renewals (with a medical) I doubt anyone under 45 would want to do it :wink: