Medical D4

Now, I was doing some “research” on the subject of the “D4” Medical Certificate.
Having moved around in my life, I do not have a “GP”. I tried to sign up to a local practice, but they have been, frankly, bloody hopeless!
I have been very lucky (so far) with my health and have no “conditions” (the surgery, somehow, managed to know me, and brilliantly offered and provided my “Covid” vaccinations)
There is no way to contact “The Surgery” to organise or ask for a “D4” examination.
Of course, Google offers various “solutions”, including:
“Meet this bloke round the back of a shed on an industrial estate and slip him a crisp £50.00 note”
The industrial estate happens to be the same one where my local LGV testing centre is located.
Is this just a “rubber-stamp” thing?
Do the DVLA actually check on who is providing the certificates?
And if not, why not?

It isn’t just a rubber stamp thing. Medical conditions can affect suitability to drive. The doctor’s details go on the form including GMC number. When you get a form read the declarations on it, this will show you it is a serious form.

I have downloaded the form, and I see that it is NOT (in theory) a “rubber-stamp formality”.
It was more a “rhetorical” question… !
£48.00, to a “bloke” who hangs about near a “Big Yellow Storage” unit?

Cotswold Medical is reputable, I had mine with them and it was no bother. It’s better going to someone like them rather than your local GP as (1) it’s probably cheaper and (2) they’ve got experience filling out the forms so less likely to do it wrong.

D4drivers, website on google is where most peeps go, be sure if you wear glasses that your prescription is up to date as an eye test will be performed

wakou:
I have downloaded the form, and I see that it is NOT (in theory) a “rubber-stamp formality”.
It was more a “rhetorical” question… !
£48.00, to a “bloke” who hangs about near a “Big Yellow Storage” unit?

The driver medical company will have hired a room to use for the day, that’s all.

I am sure they are legit. But:
independent.co.uk/news/busi … 07394.html

Someone posted a similar article on the main forum. Despite what the BMA say, the medical process is based on declarations and then further investigation if necessary. The BMA sounds as if it wants to change the system to one where the GP checks medical records instead of declarations being made by the driver (with obvious undertones of drivers not being trustworthy). That would be a completely different and more expensive system than the current one.

The doctor doesn’t even “sign-off” the driver to drive. The form is filled in and then the doctors at the DVLA make the decision or ask for more information / tests.

The representative from the BMA was the professional fees committee chair, so it gives you a rough idea what it is about.

In cases where drivers are in good health, it is no exaggeration to say you can be in and out in 15 minutes. Doctors charging an exorbitant flat rate for this would be outrageous.

I expect the view amongst medical professionals is that the medical fees are reclaimable expenses met by business. As we know on these forums, many many drivers meet the cost themselves, when driving professionally on low wage. The GPs’ greed over this is astounding.

I agree!

I had a D4 medical last week, and what a joke!
Purely a box ticking exercise, no medical training necessary, if you’re young, you can fit & healthy, OK, not dangerous, but
If, there like me, some areas are open to interpretation, but tough, and my eyesight for example, and sI have had a lazy eye, I have always passed my opticians comprehensive eye test, and I flying colours, so I I did again after the inept “doctor” failed me, so I after being asked to read off the letters on the snellen test card that was hanging from a coat hanger whilst my glasses were steamed up!
I even had to help her to spell, "la latanoprost, or monopost !!!
She blamed my eyesight failure on treatetable and treated glaucoma, and wrong.
So, be avoid, que pay the doctor & keep death off the roads.
Rant over

PSTT has a visiting doctor fortnightly at the training centre. Very experienced in form completion and, from my personal experience, thorough.

Anyone can book an appointment 01623 555661. The cost is £90 but is included, virtually free, within the starter pack for new candidates. This still doesn’t tie anyone to practical training at PSTT but gets all the theory stuff well sorted so you’re ready to roll.

Dont shout at me about the £90. I know there’s cheaper and sometimes there’s a reason.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
PSTT has a visiting doctor fortnightly at the training centre. Very experienced in form completion and, from my personal experience, thorough.

Anyone can book an appointment 01623 555661. The cost is £90 but is included, virtually free, within the starter pack for new candidates. This still doesn’t tie anyone to practical training at PSTT but gets all the theory stuff well sorted so you’re ready to roll.

Dont shout at me about the £90. I know there’s cheaper and sometimes there’s a reason.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Excellent response! I know you are a sponsor, and have an “interest” But thank you. It IS a worry, not only to me personally, but to the wider public, if these regs are being “dodged”.

God on wheels:
I had a D4 medical last week, and what a joke!
Purely a box ticking exercise, no medical training necessary, if you’re young, you can fit & healthy, OK, not dangerous, but
If, there like me, some areas are open to interpretation, but tough, and my eyesight for example, and sI have had a lazy eye, I have always passed my opticians comprehensive eye test, and I flying colours, so I I did again after the inept “doctor” failed me, so I after being asked to read off the letters on the snellen test card that was hanging from a coat hanger whilst my glasses were steamed up!
I even had to help her to spell, "la latanoprost, or monopost !!!
She blamed my eyesight failure on treatetable and treated glaucoma, and wrong.
So, be avoid, que pay the doctor & keep death off the roads.
Rant over

Some friendly advice. No doubt it is unwanted, but please try to edit before posting. This is virtually incomprehensible, although I am sure you have a point!