Medical at 50

I am coming up for 50 in 6 weeks time and was thinking about my 5 yearly medical. I had one at 45 and assumed, as per the regs, that I would need another at 50. Looking at my driving licence it states it is valid until 2019 (it was issued in 2014 because of the 10 year photo update requirement). Does this mean I dont need a medical until 2019 or do I still need to have one at 50 ?

I thought it was straight forward and that i needed one at 50 but then I just read about people avoiding a medical by updating their photo so am wondering if that is what happened when i updated my photo in 2014

Jeez, lifes getting too complicated for me

change your photo now and get 5 years free

Thanks Rog but thats not what I’m asking, it is what is causing the confusion though

Because I updated my 10yr old licence photo in 2014 does that mean I don’t need a medical until 2019 - which is the expiry date on my licence, or do I need my normal 5 yearly one at 50 ?

If the expiry date on your licence is 2019 that’s when you need to have a medical, for some reason licence expiry dates don’t always fall in line with your actual age, only when you’re 65 will the HGV licence expiry date be on your birthday, or the day before your birthday to be precise.

Smiffski:
Thanks Rog but thats not what I’m asking, it is what is causing the confusion though

Because I updated my 10yr old licence photo in 2014 does that mean I don’t need a medical until 2019 - which is the expiry date on my licence, or do I need my normal 5 yearly one at 50 ?

2019 - you got the 5 free years from the date of last licence issue - it can only happen once on the first issue after oct 2012

not many have the exact renewal date on their birthdays

Your next medicals are likely at ages 53 58 63 and at just before age 66*

*having a D4 medical after age 61 usually means the next medical is not due at age 65 but just before age 66 - often age 65 and 11 months

Thanks Gents.

It doesn’t take a lot to confuse me these days, and that one certainly did.