Medical at 48?

Hi All
I have a friend who turned 45 in May of this year. So in passing I asked where he had his medical done, to which he replied he ain’t. It turns out his HGV entitlement runs until nearly 2 months after his 48th birthday.(I have seen the licence) He passed his test in 2004 age 34. So is this right? He doesnt need a medical until he is 48? or have DVLA made a mistake?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Phil

Did he use the change your photo before you need the medical trick to extend?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46880

He renwed his licence in 2013(photo).
I have viewed that topic above and will pass that phone number on to him.
cheers
Phil

Sparkyphil:
cheers
Phil

Renewing licence in 2013 means that was the first issue of the new style licence so it gives 5 years for LGV from its date of issue - its a one off EU thing

In this case he got 3+ years free on the D4 medical

If he is concerned about not having a general medical check up then he could go for the free NHS check up at his GPs and a very cheap or free eye check at an opticians

I turn 45 later this month. No sign of my renewal form, so rang DVLA a couple of weeks ago and they explained thus;

I renewed my photocard licence August 2014. When the licence was returned, all my HGV categories had a renewal date of August 2019, which did not particularly dawn on me at the time.

Nice lady at DVLA said that this was being done to synchronise the medical/photocard renewal dates on a 5 & 10 year basis, to help reduce renewals - therefore I got almost a 4 year extension on my need for a medical :slight_smile:

Quite a few of us at work have turned 45 this year, and this my small stroke of good fortune has proper cheesed off some of them!!

I can’t remember the details now but I had the same thing happen to me, renewed licence and got and extra two or three years. So sometime next year 'll have to go for a medical. Wasn’t going to bother as i’m now over sixty five but I’m enjoying the benefits of working part time so i’ll probably renew it.

ROG:

Sparkyphil:
cheers
Phil

Renewing licence in 2013 means that was the first issue of the new style licence so it gives 5 years for LGV from its date of issue - its a one off EU thing

In this case he got 3+ years free on the D4 medical

If he is concerned about not having a general medical check up then he could go for the free NHS check up at his GPs and a very cheap or free eye check at an opticians

+1
I too turned 45 this year and am in the 48 till medical camp. However a free check up never hurts and im due an eye test this year again (excessive masterbation is not without its drawbacks).

Although most blokes wont visit the quacks unless their ■■■■ is falling off I dont neccesary feel that any extention to taking a medical is a good thing. Even with my 3 years grace I feel a prostrate exam is needed via the back door method, just out of curiosity really.

via the back door method, just out of curiosity really

:open_mouth:
Well , it happens to some people at that time of life ,
Something you want to share with us ■■
Oh , you just did :laughing: :laughing:
Wishing you a well and happy check up . :grimacing: