medical advice needed

any help or advice needed as i am going round in circles.i recently had an icd defibrillator fitted after suffering a sudden cardiac arrest,i was told by consultant to notify the dvla,anyway i voluntarily handed my licence in as was led to believe i was automatically excluded from driving lorries forever.
i am waiting for a confirmation letter from the dvla to say they are in receipt,which they confirmed in a phone call 2 weeks ago still waiting ,once i get the letter i can get a bus pass ha im only 49 but any help will do as i am only getting £78.00 a week ssp,not entitled to any benefits as missus works.anyone able to give me advice it says on my icd card good(LVEF>50%)is that enough to warrant my exclusion from driving lorries i feel fine blood pressure perfect,
bpm of 50 anyone been in this situation,my current employer has got a job for me in the yard but on minimum wage and temporary so will end up on dole.
anyone been in this situation.

This question would be better asked to a medical professional rather than to a load of drivers.

joe royal:
This question would be better asked to a medical professional rather than to a load of drivers.

+1 , yes I would agree with this part,

but I believe the Op` has a two part questions :

1. What are the medical / licence implications definitions guidelines & benefits/working options available ?.
    &
  2. Have other persons in the same type working environment experienced a similar situation ?

Q.1 obviously seek professional medical advice/licencing authority/BA / in the respective fields . .

Q.2 Hes asking for other peoples life experiences and possible similarities , sometimes when something suddenly changes your life style and expectancy you start to wonder and seek shared views and experiences and how they went about that. Cant see nowt wrong with that , im sure there are plentiful of drivers suffered similar - no disrespect to them - .
It`s good to talk and its cheap :wink:

I have no medical advice and you shouldn’t take any from people on here.

In regards to the SSP and benefits…

If you have enough National Insurance contributions for the last couple of years you can claim either contributions based Employment Support Allowance or contributions based Jobseekers Allowance depending on whether you want to claim as a sick person or not. Contributions based ESA/JSA does not take your wife’s income into account and whether you get it or not depends on whether you’ve sufficient NI contributions but if you’ve been working most of the last 2-3 years you should be OK. Contributions based JSA only lasts for 6 months then you’d go onto income based which would take your wife’s income into account. Contributions Based ESA lasts 12 months. The first 13 weeks you’ll be on less than SSP but after the 13 week assessment period it goes up to just over £100. Again after the 12 months you’d go onto income based which takes your wife’s income into account.

Neither can be claimed whilst you’re employed whether you’re on SSP or not.

Also if you’re claiming tax credits and end up on JSA/ESA let them know. If you’re not claiming tax credits then look into it if you end up in that situation, it could be that you qualify depending on your wife’s income. Even a couple with £15k joint income is entitled to some working tax credit and if the joint income is £15k or below you get additional benefits such as free dental and prescriptions.

^^^ hello again. :wink:

Conor:
I have no medical advice and you shouldn’t take any from people on here.

In regards to the SSP and benefits…
The first 13 weeks you’ll be on less than SSP but after the 13 week assessment period it goes up to just over £100. Again after the 12 months you’d go onto income based which takes your wife’s income into account.

Nearly correct as the first 13 weeks And as many MED3 fit notes from your GP for this period( which is often longer) is paid at the Pre -Assessment rate which is subject to the result from the Face to Face, interrogation AKA WCA (work capability assessment) you will go onto the main phase rate, or your esa will be stopped, you may be able to claim PIP Best to see someone at your nearest CAB for advice on what benefits you may be entitled to,

JSA is best avoided IMO they will do their uttermost to set you up to fail so they can sanction you at every turn, some of the DWP JC plus staff don’t even follow their own rules