Media fuelling the panic buying craze..?

Is it me, or are the people of Swansea not as mad as elsewhere? I’ve seen lots of pictures of totally empty aisles in supermarkets, images of large queues to either get into the shop, or for the checkouts, and endless reference to ‘panic buying hordes’, but for the last week and a half, every shop in Swansea that I’ve been in, has been averagely busy, with a few items either sold out, or low, but none had whole aisles of empty shelves, or massive queues.

Or are the reports about excessive panic buying orchestrated?

I think it started with lots of people over buying and there’s certainly some of that still going on around much of Nottinghamshire. A lot of that has now calmed down round here, mostly as theres nothing to buy.

A lot of the current problems seem to be lack of anything coming into the shops.

For example on Friday, our ASDA got a sum total of 2 limited pallets which included 6 small packs of toilet rolls. This is a catchment area of 20,000 in normal times. Essentially absolutely useless.

Tesco had a small delivery on Friday, and no more until Monday.

Seems if you’re not in a city, they don’t deliver anything quantity. Swansea likely has more deliveries and there are certain other possible reasons due to population groups, but cant say more to stay within the rules.

Because everything is just in time theres no storage so its even worse. Only helpful for shareholders and directors bonuses.

People seem to be heading to the big superstores for their panic buying. I was at a Tesco mega store last night and walked out in disgust. I popped to my local mini market and bought everything I needed for the weekend. I’ll pop back later tonight and get a few bits for work next week.

It’s all a bit weird really. Almost as if people see others panic buying and are encouraged to do the same. Local shop and people have half a dozen things in their basket. Weird.

The biggest problem is everybody is shopping, you’ve got restaurant/ canteens/ cafes all closed, everyone needs feeding, so they all go shopping,.
I went yesterday, got everything I normally get for the week, admittedly I went at 0630 instead of 0730, definitely more people shopping,…

biggriffin:
The biggest problem is everybody is shopping, you’ve got restaurant/ canteens/ cafes all closed, everyone needs feeding, so they all go shopping,.
I went yesterday, got everything I normally get for the week, admittedly I went at 0630 instead of 0730, definitely more people shopping,…

It might come in catering size, rather than retail packs, but the food not used by restaurants isn`t going to evaporate is it?

There is no overall need for anyone to consume more per day.
There is no lessening of production due to flooding, locusts, or chuffing space invaders!

I went shopping at Morrisons at Binley yesterday. The only things I wanted which they didn’t have were Swedish krispbreads, multipacks of Marmite crisps and cherry and berry squash. They also didn’t have pasta, or very much tinned soup and the freezers looked a bit depleted.

They did have ibuprofen, paracetamol, a moderate amount of toilet paper, plenty of fruit and veg, ham, cheese, sausages, bacon, bread, biscuits, rice etc. It was busier than usual and most people had full trolleys, I just did my usual shop, which normally fills two carrier bags. I would say they probably had 80% of their usual range on sale.

Then I went to the convenience store and bought a case of Polish beer as it’s dirt cheap there, and they seemed to have a full range of items on sale.

It’s my belief and I may be alone in this that the whole loo roll panic buy was a distraction the media helped along.

Using a monkey see monkey do method they showed people buying lots so everybody brought lots this invariably triggered supermarkets into prep mode giving them a few more days grace before proper panic or hoarding buying commenced.

There’s no logic in buying ■■■■■ loads of tp but there is logic in trying to protect food stocks and gain a head start.

Sure it’s been bad now lots have realised you can’t survive on Andrex & Chips but those extra days critical.

People buy loo roll I buy vodka and ■■■■. Rather be drunk with a dirty botty than sober with a clean one.

There was a missed opportunity - when the tescos with a big crowd outside waiting for it to open - were not approached by some newsbod with a microphone asking them each “Why they were panic-bulk-buying and generally acting in an irresponsible and selfish manner”.

Name and shame - or people are going to keep on committing all the old evils.

It always surprises me as to how governments fail to ever take “Human Nature” into account when making any policy decisions or rolling out those decisions…

So far, we’ve seen scary decisions made that trash our economy, but no decisions made that infringe on yuman rights, such as “Martial Law” and the shooting of criminals on the streets at any and all opportunities… Surely what we might have expected of a “Let’s Get Brexit Done” Right wing government?

It’s all the media. You get boss of tesco saying dont.panic we have enough stock. What do people do panic.
All the posts pictures of empty shelves force people to think o no best get what I can.now while an here.
Just a thought why don’t stores just stop 24hrs which I think most have done.
Stop Sunday openings. And maybe go.to half day Thursdays like the old days.
As people won’t starve. They might even darr i say eat what they have in .
Give hard working staff a rest and chance to really fill the shelves.

It doesn’t help when stores have at the front their pushed items that people no longer want to buy… Just skip it all, and put some extra racks of Pasta, Tins, and yes - Bog Rolls there to reel 'em in, and then flog them some tat once they are deeper in the store… :bulb: :bulb:

I’ve not seen the queues first hand but I am sure it is happening quite a lot in the morning when people think the stocks will be replenished. My local shop is well depleted but never too busy when I go later on. Kind of wondering when I will actually see a loaf of bread again now.

Noremac:
I’ve not seen the queues first hand but I am sure it is happening quite a lot in the morning when people think the stocks will be replenished. My local shop is well depleted but never too busy when I go later on. Kind of wondering when I will actually see a loaf of bread again now.

My local tesco que was qtr mile long, 6ft wide and crammed like a groupage load out of a Turkish warehouse at 9am this morning!!

I didn’t attend, ■■■■ that nonsense, good old social media to thank, BAN THE SODDING NET I SAY!!

My mrs works store front for em, rumour is the express stores will be closing full stop, she’s an express and all fresh cooked foods already being stopped, and they as a team are now limiting people in/goods out, and prioritising the elderly first, or anyone who’s proven front line staff.
Security is ONE MAN FFS and they’ve all been subject to abuse too due to these ■■■■ arrogant lemmings, yet TESCO AINT ISSUING ANY GUIDANCE FOR THEM AT ALL THE TOSSERS.

Local coops have already started shutting ALOT earlier too…

It’s gonna ramp up and to be honest its gonna take a full lock down with a SERIOUS MILITARY presence to stop it and ENFORCE it.

Or do as Russia have done an release lions onto the streets, that’ll stop em [emoji106]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The Media need to push some microphones under the crowd that are playing full time supermarket sweep…

Who are these people, what do they do?

If they are waiting outside stores at 6am for them to open, alongside slow-moving old folk…
The implication is that they work for the NHS, which qualifies for them to be there…
…But are not medical staff, who are working flat-out AT the NHS…

Just as the media should have assisted in "Parting the ‘bad’ immigrants from the ‘good’ immigrants - so they should now part the ‘irresponsile non-medical NHS worker’ from actual NHS medical staff - the ‘good’ kind of NHS worker. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: