Mechanics - Renault Turbo Issue

Gents, ladies, beaver…

I’ve a 5 yr old renault premium (lander) 460 DXI manual, 460k km. Yesterday the turbo went pop. This is the second turbo the truck has had (last one about 2 years ago). Truck is serviced and maintained iaw schedules.

I’ve heard the turbos on these are suspect at 600k km; but two in 5 years? Known fault/problem?

Only thing I can think if is it sits on the PTO quite a bit each day, but that doesnt load the turbo at all…

What is the cause of failure, have you had either of the turbos inspected to find out what went? Was the replacement a new one, a recon or a used one?

Do you leave the engine running for a short period at the end of your journey or do you turn it straight off? That’ll kill a turbo in no time because there’s no oil circulating and its still red hot. On pretty much every new lorry I’ve ever driven over the last two decades there have been stickers on the windscreens saying about idling for 30 seconds or so before shutting down to allow the turbo to cool.

Possibly suffering from Low Cycle Fatigue …Much like DAF had …Though DAF then upgraded to titanium blades

Conor:
What is the cause of failure, have you had either of the turbos inspected to find out what went? Was the replacement a new one, a recon or a used one?

Do you leave the engine running for a short period at the end of your journey or do you turn it straight off? That’ll kill a turbo in no time because there’s no oil circulating and its still red hot. On pretty much every new lorry I’ve ever driven over the last two decades there have been stickers on the windscreens saying about idling for 30 seconds or so before shutting down to allow the turbo to cool.

The previous failure was with the last owner. So I’ve no further info. I always leave her ticking over for a minute or so prior to switching off.

As for loading, she’s always at max weight 44 tns; 90% of the work is cross country and hilly terrain to the engine is always working its socks off.

Always working its socks off is probably the answer

peter s:

I see your point of view - but then two turbos in 5 years, when the truck is working to its design applications, points to the turbo being under engineered (in mvho of course).

:grimacing:

Could be many causes. In what way did the turbo fail? Was it a good quality turbo that was fitted?

AF1:
Could be many causes. In what way did the turbo fail? Was it a good quality turbo that was fitted?

Under load, accelerating, mid green band, around 50 mph. Then POP! :open_mouth:

Genuine Renault part.

The pile of ■■■ Merc hiab motor I drive at the moment ate a turbo at just 200’000 K’s!!
Fitter just said “it happens occasionally”. No other reason was given. It seized solid, tried to spin it with my fingers at the inlet housing.
That suggests to me possible oil carbonisation from the heat inside the bearing possibly or just a crap turbo to begin with.
Is the correct oil being used?
Turbo bearings can fail due to low quality oil turning to carbon which is a very hard by-product of heat and will knacker the sleeve bearing.
As already mentioned, ‘heat soak’ can be an issue after shut down if its not left to idle abit first but as you do that anyway, it can be discounted.

el_presidente:

peter s:

I see your point of view - but then two turbos in 5 years, when the truck is working to its design applications, points to the turbo being under engineered (in mvho of course).

:grimacing:

I agree. The turbo on Renault cars tend to go around the 70000 mile mark so that could suggest they are engineered to last that long. Truck turbo’s probably the same.