Meanwhile, over in the USA, 88,300 truckers unemployed

First link that came up (for the ZH haters), but other links are available with the same story.

Related: Zerohedge

UK next ? :astonished:

UK not next. The UK has put in different methods of supporting business and employees than the US has. Whereas in the US theyā€™re ending up unemployed due to a complete lack of workers rights meaning itā€™s as simple and quick to fire an employee as it is to tell an agency worker theyā€™re not needed the following day, in the UK theyā€™re being furloughed.

Conor:
UK not next. The UK has put in different methods of supporting business and employees than the US has. Whereas in the US theyā€™re ending up unemployed due to a complete lack of workers rights meaning itā€™s as simple and quick to fire an employee as it is to tell an agency worker theyā€™re not needed the following day, in the UK theyā€™re being furloughed.

True to some extent, but over here the furlough pay is effectively nothing more than a life support machine keeping already dead businesses artificially alive indefinitely. At some point when the lockdown gets ā€œrelaxedā€ that life support machine is going to get turned off. Thatā€™s when the real bloodbath will start with unemployment over here.

Have you taken a look at the job boards recently for our sector? Even right now the number of genuine job ads can be counted on one hand and thatā€™s with the vast majority of full-timers currently furloughed on 80% pay. Genuine job ads are getting thousands of applications. When the furlough pay ends next month hundreds of businesses doing event, entertainment, stage, pub, restaurant work (to name a few) will go bankrupt and thousands of drivers will be out of work. As all other businesses are cutting back through lack of demand in this ā€œnew normalā€ there will be even more redundancies from oversupply which will just add to the numbers.

And the day all those buisnesses are allowed to trade againā€¦drivers will be required.

In factā€¦I predict a stampede.

commonrail:
And the day all those buisnesses are allowed to trade againā€¦drivers will be required.

Bankrupt businesses donā€™t require any driversā€¦ because theyā€™re bankrupt and no longer exist.

R420:

commonrail:

Bankrupt businesses donā€™t require any driversā€¦ because theyā€™re bankrupt and no longer exist.

So true that ,

Sent while in furlough

R420:

commonrail:

Name them

commonrail:

R420:

commonrail:

Name then

Patience, young grasshopper :smiley: . The life support machine is still running. Letā€™s revisit when once it gets switched off and Iā€™m confident there will be plenty of names for you to feast your eyes upon.

While I agree a lot of companies will go bust how do you come to the conclusion that the majority of drivers are furloughed?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:
While I agree a lot of companies will go bust how do you come to the conclusion that the majority of drivers are furloughed?

Based on the media reports that 46% of trucks are parked up. If they havenā€™t been laid off then one would naturally assume they have been furloughed. Across the various industries, one truck would probably have an average of 2 drivers using it per day so if you extrapolate from 46% of trucks being parked up, that would equate to over 50% of the working driver pool being furloughed. For brevity Iā€™m referring to permie drivers and not counting agency drivers.

Folks are starting to go back to work next week.
My mate on Monday
Robroy on Wednesday
Maga on the 18th

Even air traffic is creeping upā€¦And weā€™re not even supposed to be going anywhere.
Theyā€™ll be queuing down the road for garden centres,who all said theyā€™d go bustā€¦but havā€™nt

R420:

wrighty1:

Based on the media reports that 46% of trucks are parked up. If they havenā€™t been laid off then one would naturally assume they have been furloughed. Across the various industries, one truck would probably have an average of 2 drivers using it per day so if you extrapolate from 46% of trucks being parked up, that would equate to over 50% of the working driver pool being furloughed. For brevity Iā€™m referring to permie drivers and not counting agency drivers.

Just done a quick search and rha say 43% of trucks and 25% of drivers.

As for pubs,restaurants etc.
Itā€™ll be one big party once Boris says the word.

Unlockā€¦UNLOCK

commonrail:
Folks are starting to go back to work next week.
My mate on Monday
Robroy on Wednesday
Maga on the 18th

Even air traffic is creeping upā€¦And weā€™re not even supposed to be going anywhere.
Theyā€™ll be queuing down the road for garden centres,who all said theyā€™d go bustā€¦but havā€™nt

Lumby garden centre just off the roundabout J42 A1 has been open for weeks. Most weeks I go to Sainsburyā€™s at Sherburn and every time I go past this garden centre the car park is rammed :unamused:

commonrail:

Unlockā€¦UNLOCK

Cant see that being this side of summer though, lets see what he has to say on the Sunday message

commonrail:

Unlockā€¦UNLOCK

How are you seeing restaurants reopening when theyā€™ll have their maximum earning potential reduced by around 75% due to SD regulations? If a restaurant can hold 100 people and is profitable at say, 75+ capacity, they are not going to be reopening when the government says the maximum number of people they can have in the building at one time is 25 to ensure SD compliance. The same regs will apply to pubs.

There are already reports of bus and coach companies going out of business because the layout means a maximum 10% capacity due to having to block off rows of seats. No company can operate and make a profit at such ridiculous numbers. Itā€™s completely unworkable.

R420:

commonrail:

Unlockā€¦UNLOCK

How are you seeing restaurants reopening

When they unlock.

Once the doors are open,nobody will give a ā– ā– ā– ā– .

OKā€¦

Back in the real world, that isnā€™t happening.

Wetherspoons are gearing up for a June reopening.
And I know for a fact that there will be no social distancing in my localā€¦once the doors are open