meal allowances

are they taxable :question: ta

No

Stobart give you like £11 tax free meal allowance or there abouts. Probably like the night out money meaning after a certain amount it gets taxed

Mine aren’t, they’re tax deductable. :slight_smile:

It all depends on the tax office. Each company has to sort it out with the tax office. It’s not like night out money which has a nationally agreed tax free rate. We get £2.50/day.

I get £4 a day tax free but don’t get it when I am weekended

£9

Ken.

Eddie gives us £12.15 per day. And no it’s not taxable.

a whole £2.00 per day is what i get tax free :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DaiDap:

Is that only for drivers who are out all week or does it apply to day drivers too?

Scroll down past Overnight Subsistence Allowance

rha.net/adviceandinfo/subsis … r-drivers/

Mid-Day Meal Allowances

Many employers meet the cost of, or contribute towards, a drivers mid-day meal by either issuing meal vouchers or making a cash payment. These contributions may be treated as not taxable where they:

1. are reasonable in amount, ie they do not exceed £2.00 per day; and
  2. are paid to long-distance lorry drivers whose duties oblige them to take meals away from their home and normal place of employment. Similar treatment may also be given to coach drivers in comparable circumstances, but not to drivers who have fixed or local routes.

The guidance provided by HMRC states that where the amounts paid exceed the above thresholds, the excess should only be paid without deduction of tax if the employer satisfactorily demonstrates that the additional amount paid only reflects the actual additional expenditure incurred by drivers or where dispensation has been given by HMRC. The onus is on the employer to satisfy himself that expenditure of the relevant amount is actually being incurred by the driver. If the employer has no acceptable evidence to justify the rate paid, the amounts paid in excess of £2.00 per day should be paid under deduction of tax. However, it is recommended that if more than £2.00 is being paid dispensation should be sought.

The £2.00 per day mid-day meal rate has not increased since 1988.

The Spalding Phantom:

DaiDap:

Is that only for drivers who are out all week or does it apply to day drivers too?

Everybody gets it.

DaiDap:

The Spalding Phantom:

DaiDap:

Everybody gets it.

£60 per week tax free sounds good to me, and everyone says that Eddie Stobart pays poorly!

£2.00 for the day if on a nite out i get a extra £5.00

The Spalding Phantom:

DaiDap:

The Spalding Phantom:

DaiDap:

Everybody gets it.

£60 per week tax free sounds good to me, and everyone says that Eddie Stobart pays poorly!

Usually that “everyone” have never worked for them!

ossie:
The £2.00 per day mid-day meal rate has not increased since 1988.

Very true, but I have heard many stories of where astute accountants have negiotiated a higher rate with HMRC in respect of employees. I’m surprised that many other companies haven’t pursued this as, after all, with it being tax free, it is a way of giving staff a (small) pay rise and does not add to N.I. contributions, for either the employee or the employer.

IIRC, there is a minimum radius from the Op Centre that must be exceeded on any day for which it is paid. From memory…50 kms. Or was it 100 kms. :blush:

We pay £5.00 per day - not taxed. Having been through a couple of tax investigations they haven’t queried it, the only thing they did ask is how far they travelled, i.e. could they reasonably get back for lunch at home. Guess Sweden and Sardinia weren’t close enough to get back :wink:

The Spalding Phantom:

The hourly rate is pretty poor, it’s made up to an acceptable level using meal allowance and operations bonus, if they didn’t have them who would drive an artic for £7.10 per hour? So the longer you work each day the lower your hourly rate becomes technically as you’re meal allowance and bonus is being divided by more hours.