McVEIGH & HUMBER McVEIGH

Hi,Lord Derby,

I’ve not tried this before o let’s see if it works. A couple of pics.from some a mate sent me of the Humber Mandator restoration. I’m sure he’ll be OK with me using them like this
tn.jpg
tn (5).jpg

If it does work I might even put a pic or two on of my favourite trucks.

Cheers Bassman

What a wonderful job of the AEC Mandator - fantastic photo’s

If anyone has contact details for Roy - I would love to get in touch with him - you can message me contact details at michael-hallam1@sky.com

Best Wishes,

Mike Hallam
Grandson of Geoff Hallam, Former Humber Warehousing MD

Does anyone remember any Guy big J4T tractors at Humber Mc Veigh Grimsby, specifically AJV 482L or DEE 829L, both of which ended up in our yard at Castleford. I tipped tyres at Michelin, Burghdorf in Switzerland and re loaded power tools at Bischwiller with DEE 829L in 1980. No sleeper cab, 220 ■■■■■■■■ 6 speed DB crash box hated every noisy,mucky, bone crunching kilometre. . . . . . . . Wish l was shipping out again with it tomorrow ! :confused:

Described as one of a batch of 30, a brand new Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ tractor:

McVeigh by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Hello,
I worked for “Humber” between 1976-1978 based at the Colsterworth depot the then manager was Mike Harness anyone remeber him? my role as a very keen 22 year old was in the traffic office as a traffic clerk working alongside the likes of Jack Richardson, Mike Smith, Jock Weatherspoon and the depot manager. I remember the likes and the comming of Jim Holt…just what did that man do? he had a love of Remy brandy and wanted his own helicopter(illusions of grandeur) he came from, as far as I can remember a firm in Nottingham by the name of Stirlands, We had characters at Colsterworth in drivers such as “Meat Fly” “Ginger Martin” Barry Preston, Paddy Truesdale Mick Rawlands and a whole lot more whos names now excape this nearly 60 year old. My heros were Terry Bowler a god in road transport, Mike Harness, and Eric Scott. (Eric came from pedigree Petfoods and introduced me to training a role which I have been in ever since) to name a few.
Dave Gibbs was in charge of looking after the vehicles, what happend to him?
We has several females at the depot Joe Burroughs, Lucy ? her husband ■■■■ was depot manager before Mike Harness took over and went to Linpac at louth.
Then there was the two Erics in the warehouse, and George Chillcott covered nights in transport. The depot covered both general and frozen work, the frozen being run out of Christian Salvesons and PAS at Eastern nr Grantham, another contract was the Pellew Harvey contract, and Vanden Burg and Jurgens, and Pure lard
Colsterworth was a good happy place to work and Humber McVeigh was a bloody good firm to work for they were without doubt the best years of my life,
When they started to split up the company…tax reasons eh Sam/Jim? Colsterworth was given the dull non-discriped title of Granton transport…with an equally dull insipid paint job sand/blue/white which we were told was the beach the sea and the sky…yer right thanks for that, but just give me back the green and red on the tractor units which were new and not the old Guy big "J"s. From that point it seemed to change, perhaps I was changing too and I decided to move on, but I still miss “Humber” and that buzz of the traffic office all these years later and I can still hear Mike Harness signing a song which he sang all the time as he walked through the office door “On the wings of a sparrow when the going gets narrow” and quoting that immortal line from “Reggie Perin” “Now then CJ” just what it meant I never did get to know, but it was all part of it and it felt good.
Does anyone remember the “hectors house scampi fiddle?”
Other famouse names
Dave Marsh…very loud you could hear him from Grimsby
Sam McGowen a little man who drove big cars and equaly big ideas
Byron Miller…numbers are his game
Keith Ellis…crewcut and a warehouse at laPorte road, the building is still there just before the junction on the left
Was Mike Harness at ACS&T at Grimsby? has he retired, I remember when he was at Colsterworth he used to drive a Chrisler 180 like a bat out of hell as he lived in Boston at the time, but he was a good manager to work for.
Geoff Hallam is I understand retired, some one has said what a company Humber was, Stobarts would not be able to compete if they were still on the go to-day with the type of expertise they had, and they were correct, it was a good company. Its Sad it was run down and destroyed thanks to the likes of Sam McGowan and Jim Holt…I now know what they did, they destroyed a good company…Terry Bowler was correct, but then again Terry Bowler knew what he was talking about, and that’s the difference between him and them, long may he live.

To all those who knew me at “Humber” and to those who did not I say thanks because you directly and indirectly instilled into me a love of road transport that has given me pleasure and employment throughout my life, and I am proud (as most of you will be) to say I had a little part to play in the company that was “Humber McVeigh” and what a company it was.

Happy, happy, days…“On the wings of a sparrow…”

Btoc

twitter.com/i/#!/cllrmikehallam … 2FHCecft4r

Hi,

Thought some of you would like to see this photo of my grandfather Geoff Hallam with Roy Orsbourne being shown his AEC Mandator renovation. They had a lovely afternoon together and my grandfather was thrilled to see what a marvellous job had been made of the renovation. Our thanks to Lee Orsbourne for taking some wonderful photo’s of them together.

Mike Hallam
Grandson of Geoff Hallam
Former MD of Humber Warehousing

Hi all
Recently found a web site full off info re transport information eg Mudds, Ross Group. Mcveigh, Humber Mcveigh ect.
Or maybe i`m just slow in finding it.(THE COMMERCIAL MOTOR ARCHIVE).Found it interesting reading this cold wet winter afternoon.
HAPPY XMAS ALL
ROBERT JOHNSON

BTTT for Raven Tide to put his pictures on

David :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hi, know its been a while since firstpost but if its of any use Stoke reg was VT and EH, Stafford was BF and RF.

Does anyone else remember the ITV World in Action(?) programme from the late 1960s that was devoted to investigating lorry drivers fiddling their logbooks. This had extensive coverage of the camera crew and reporter tailing a Humber McVeigh artic ( might have been a BigJ or a Scania 110) on a journey from Scotland to Southampton and back via various places which I can’t remember en route. This was accomplished virtually non-stop apart from the tipping and loading. There was one point when the cameras lost the vehicle for a short while, until they found it parked in a layby for about three hours with the driver asleep.

At the end of the investigation, the reporter somewhat wryly admitted awe and admiration for the ability of the driver to keep going for so long without rest - a feat that had required several drivers for the camera crew.

cav551:
Does anyone else remember the ITV World in Action(?) programme from the late 1960s that was devoted to investigating lorry drivers fiddling their logbooks. This had extensive coverage of the camera crew and reporter tailing a Humber McVeigh artic ( might have been a BigJ or a Scania 110) on a journey from Scotland to Southampton and back via various places which I can’t remember en route. This was accomplished virtually non-stop apart from the tipping and loading. There was one point when the cameras lost the vehicle for a short while, until they found it parked in a layby for about three hours with the driver asleep.

At the end of the investigation, the reporter somewhat wryly admitted awe and admiration for the ability of the driver to keep going for so long without rest - a feat that had required several drivers for the camera crew.

IIRC, it was 1971 "ish and the firm in question was Sam Anderson from Newhouse and the filming was done between Glasgow and Birmingham,I don’t recall a Humber McVeigh vehicle been involved in an identical World in Action programme but then again I will stand corrected as memories do become a bit “fuddled” but that is my recollection of events from all those years ago!.Oh! and was there also a programme,very similar,later on, about a Scottish BRS driver taking something like 3 days to get to Southampton ? Now that sounded just about right for BRS,but then again the good 'ol British Tax payer was footing the bill for the difference between the rate charged and what it was actually costing to do the trip !!Cheers Bewick.

You are correct about it being one of Sam Andersons Dennis, I think it was a Mandator. I can’t remember the one about BRS though. Cheers Haddy.

haddy:
You are correct about it being one of Sam Andersons Dennis, I think it was a Mandator. I can’t remember the one about BRS though. Cheers Haddy.

It was a Scania 110 of Sam Andersons. McKelvie from Paisley took a leading role as well,showed them leaving Paisley at different times en route to their depot at Newton-le-Willows and back,there were some long shifts and I think some were done legalish.There was also an interesting conversation between union members from BRS and McKelvie.The Southampton run was BRS v McKelvie,think the BRS motor was a either a Big J or a Seddon in maybe Containerway livery,ran out of hours some distance away from S’oton while McKelvie got there in hours. Humber McVeigh weren’t in it.There was also a parcels firm involved,I must replay it and have a look. :laughing:

Hi, All

To anyone who has an interest in Humber Warehousing,
There is an article in the latest edition of The Grimsby Telegraph’s supplement called “Bygones” relating to the restoration of the AEC Mandator in Humber’s colours,.
Posing ,proudly, beside it is Geoff Hallam himself. Well worth a look.

Cheers, Bassman

Hi All
I have only just found the site and read your articles which bring back some happy times, my name is Stan Pearson and was a fitter at Grimsby 1969-1971 when i became workshop foreman after Joe Bradley and the workshop manager was Roy Chambers.The fitter Big Dave was Dave Foxhall or better known as BIG D.i went to the funeral on Thursday of one of our apprentices Collin Clifford aged 60yrs at the funeral was Fitters Roy Chambers, Ron Wayne, Joe Bradley, Allan Sutton “Sam Suttons son who drove one of the Acro tankers” Mick Cottingham and store man Malc Grady all in our late 60s.
Regards to you all
Stan Pearson

Hi Stan
I don`t know you, but I do remember Joe Bradley when he worked at COMREPS with Jim Bagley and big Bill Hodgson
I was there from 1960 to 1967 as well as Two Counties Transport
cheers
Robert Johnson
Aged 68 next month

Try archive commercialmotor web site very interesting
Stan.
Are you in touch with Joe??
robert

I had not seen joe for about 15yrs as i remaried and moved to Scunthorpe, the last time until the funeral was about 15yrs ago when we had a drink in the Valiant he was going through a bad time and looked ill, on Thursday other than a walking stick he looked ok. I could mabe find out more.I started with Humbers in 1967 in Granvill Street part time to help out under Jim Bagley.
Regards
Stan Pearson

Hi All
Geoff Hallam started in Lincoln hauling for Lockwoods tined products with ex WD Bedfords and Dodges, the Dodges were 4 wheel flat beds which we later fitted a Boys third axle to, which if you drove over a bumpy ground when empty the suspension would go over the top and jam.
Regards
Stan Pearson

Re Terry Bowler

Terry has requested my e-mail address can some one please ensure that Terry receives my e-mail address outlined below

btoc@talktalk.net

thanks for your help.

BTOC

240 Gardner:
Described as one of a batch of 30, a brand new Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ tractor:

McVeigh by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Described as one of a batch of 30, a brand new Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ tractor: with 240 Gardner engine. I cannot believe Mc Veigh took delivery of sum thirty tractor units with 240 engines.

When I started Boston depot we had mainly Atkinsons Units a Couple of E.R.F.s with 240 Gardners and 4 Volvo’s with day cabs, ex Lowestoft Depot. Had I have known about these 30 Atkinsons with 240 Gardners being in the general fleet, I would have been after (those like a rat up a drain pipe) Units for Boston Depot, all the shunters we had, had 150 Gardners and the Road Atkinsons had 180 Gardners, all Atkinsons were very good work horses and very economical on fuel. Having said that it was the Gardner Engine that gave the fuel economy. Terry Bowler