Mcdonalds !!

Why does such a big company have 45ft hgv lorry,s deliver their goods? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

They could use rigids or 7 1/2 tonners ,their carparks aren,t designed for a massive truck and trailer ,and most are now open 24hours !

It,s just a matter of time before some granny or little kiddy gets hurt! And boy racer shoots behind the reversing trailer to get his happy meal,and gets his fiesta st whacked! :unamused:

This company should know better,risk assessments etc etc! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Personally i,d block the entrance and walk it in! :unamused:

The same for Aldi and Lidl store deliveries.If the car park is full they struggle to get in.

Because they employ skilled professionals
who can cope

Been there done it a few years ago tho delivering to a drive thru on a sat evening in a bizzy retail park is no fun when it’s full of parents eager to get there kids poisended the early runs am where easy loads of space not a problem
It is with out doubt one of the crapest jobs I’ve done but the money was good only done it at weekends and it was before the invasion of the polish agency driver so it was double time on a sun n time n half on a sat plus all the free crap food you can eat

hitch:
Because they employ skilled professionals
who can cope

Not strictly true ! Judging by the performance of the bloke tryin to get in to aldi in truro last week :confused:

I wonder if the drivers get free grub & tea/coffee.

No different to Co-Op then :unamused:

maestegboy:
This company should know better,risk assessments etc etc! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yep there must be a risk assessment for store deliveries.

1. probably along the lines of no perceived risk.
  2. Must use a banks man / only the store doesn’t have a banks man !
  3. Its all the drivers fault!

But seriously there trailer are full hence a 45ft trailer ! and people should look were there going and see the big truck with flashing hazards and keep out of the way. Unfortunately this country will blame the driver if anything go’s wrong which is wrong.

Having spent a day riding along with a driver doing McDonalds deliveries I can confirm that the reason they use vehicles of that size/weight is because they need to. Frozen fish fillets and tanks of sugary liquid are not light.

If you were to use a European 7.5-tonne truck chassis, a fridge body and a tail lift (both essential for that job) would give you a remaining payload of about one box of eggs and a burger.

BTW is you do have to eat at one of those establishments, the only offering that isn’t swimming in grease is the bacon roll.

Its because the delivery area is not thought out, yellow lines are a big must have to allow large vehicles to access the loading/unloading areas, and a few signs wouldnt go amiss warning customers to keep this area free for deliveries. It is however not only McDonalds, there are other companies who have delivery areas not suitable for large vehicles.

We had a traffic light system At Somerfields for different store locations, covering route to the store, and what could be expected, at the store backed up with a picture. Every drop was risked assessed, green would be cheers easy, amber use caution and red take extra care usually in the city centres.

We would find out that the risk assessor was on the am shift and his green rating became a farce on a Friday evening etc with pedestrians just walking on all sides of you, cars parked in the way and lack of staff to act as banksman.

Had several near misses, and would sometimes have to wait for traffic to clear. One drop was a place named Sparkhill, it required a blindside going against the traffic flow on a inner city dual carriageway, few nervous moments !

A woman at the Turves Green store, Longbridge was parked in the way of the access road, asked her nicely to move her car she replied, '@@@@ Off" charming I thought :grimacing:

Rooster, I wonder if the Sommerfeld store in Morriston, Swansea had 10 red lights on the risk assessment sheet. Done it a few times in an 18t and it was a challenge getting in with that. Often wondered how the artics ever managed that store. :astonished:

maestegboy:
Why does such a big company have 45ft hgv lorry,s deliver their goods? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

They could use rigids or 7 1/2 tonners ,their carparks aren,t designed for a massive truck and trailer ,and most are now open 24hours !

It,s just a matter of time before some granny or little kiddy gets hurt! And boy racer shoots behind the reversing trailer to get his happy meal,and gets his fiesta st whacked! :unamused:

Personally i,d block the entrance and walk it in! :unamused:

Personaly I’ve not seen a steady line off wrecked cars being towed out off any MaccyD where I’ve been.

This to Me would suggest that though it may well be a hassle, as said by someone else the drivers are profesional (mostly) and doing a good job :sunglasses: . Though probably not being fully rewarded for their efforts :wink:

remember many yrs ago a mate of mine worked on nights for them out of heywood m/c,think the com. was golden wonder tpt.The shifts were not good,all different starting times but the pay was very good,Anyone shed any light on this com.? think it was about the early 80s.
regards dave

dafdave:
remember many yrs ago a mate of mine worked on nights for them out of heywood m/c,think the com. was golden wonder tpt.The shifts were not good,all different starting times but the pay was very good,Anyone shed any light on this com.? think it was about the early 80s.
regards dave

Was golden west who did the transport money was fanominal be interesting to see hows it compares now

largebloke1969:

dafdave:
regards dave

Was golden west who did the transport money was fanominal be interesting to see hows it compares now

That’s the one mate,thanks for putting me right.Pobably be about a grand a week if not more.
regards dave.

Martin Brower is the company that does the McD’s distribution in the UK now.

nick2008:
No different to Co-Op then :unamused:

One Stop looks like a rough job as well. Turn up at the shop and theres cars parked where you want to be & you have nowhere to go. Major pain in the arse, I have the upmost respect for drivers that do inconvenience store work on a regular basis. My experience is that marked loading bays & hatched areas do little to stop people parking if space is at a premium.

OP - Given the sheer number of restaurants McDonalds have, they will want each driver to carry out as much work as possible & that means a fully loaded full length trailer. It starts getting mighty expensive if your planning individual trips from base to each drop in a 7.5 tonner. The job might be a PITA & it might not be ideal, but if it can be done it will. I imagine the accident records are probably very small given how long they have been doing it for.

maestegboy:

They could use rigids or 7 1/2 tonners

What if they need a delivery thats more than the capacity of the rigids? Why would you run a truck that does 8MPG when you could run one that does 14MPG? Answer: Because you need to.

A full pallet of frozen burgers is very heavy … same with processed cheese and boxes of sauces. The only light part of the burger is the bun and the lettuce. Presumably McD’s multi drop so I doubt they could do it in 7.5t or even a 26t given the amount of “restaurants” they have per square mile. And maybe they need a 44t to take a back load of used oil which they recycle in to bio fuel to save the planet for every ones benefit (not to increase profits of course, that would just make them look like greedy hypocrites)