McDonald’s strike

So today on the news I have seen that McDonald’s workers are setting to strike tomorrow to demand a £10 an hour wage demand and it is going thru, no doubt it will go through and people who flip burgers for a living will be on that money with no implications if they go over there hours for the day, but us professional drivers can’t stick together and start to demand these type of minimum wages, it’s a joke!!!

Fractured industry. You can have two companies next door to each other, one pays £10 an hour, the other pays £7. If I worked at the lot paying £10 I sure as hell wouldn’t want to strike and mess that up.

Wortho:
So today on the news I have seen that McDonald’s workers are setting to strike tomorrow to demand a £10 an hour wage demand and it is going thru, no doubt it will go through and people who flip burgers for a living will be on that money with no implications if they go over there hours for the day, but us professional drivers can’t stick together and start to demand these type of minimum wages, it’s a joke!!!

No issues over hours but they can end up in court if they don’t cook the burger or do the cleaning properly and someone gets ill.

I have never done it but having eaten in there its serious graft at dinner/tea time so whilst I’m not saying its worth £10 an hour they earn their money

My salary works out as just shy of £13ph…I’d be an idiot to demand £10ph,let me know when the strikes on :laughing:

Radar19:
Fractured industry. You can have two companies next door to each other, one pays £10 an hour, the other pays £7. If I worked at the lot paying £10 I sure as hell wouldn’t want to strike and mess that up.

Basically this, ^

and who are these drivers on less than £10ph, reading posts about money on here it would seems most are on well over £40k pa take home :open_mouth:

There are people on less than that judging by the ridiculous job adds I keep seeing and the 40k plus salary seem very very limited, yes they may need to cook the burgers right but drivers are under so much more stricter rules it’s silly

Wortho:
There are people on less than that judging by the ridiculous job adds I keep seeing and the 40k plus salary seem very very limited, yes they may need to cook the burgers right but drivers are under so much more stricter rules it’s silly

Please explain what is so strict and silly about the rules?

I have been driving since last August and have had 4 infringements. 2 in my first couple of weeks while new to the job getting my head round it.

2 since due to being caught in accidents. Done my print offs and matter closed. A couple of times I parked up when the office wanted me to drive on but I wasn’t sure would make it so didn’t.

If you decide to drive to 4.29 or work until 14.59 you will get infringements as you will misjudge it sometimes. So don’t. Then park up sooner and tell the office it can’t be done/will be late.

Wortho:

There probably are, but as some have already said this is an fractured industry, so it’s up to them to either force thier employers to put the money up, which is what the McDonald’s workers are doing or go to employers who pay better, which is what some others who works for McDonald’s competitors might do if the money is better than they get or what you could do if you think you’d get a better deal from McDonald’s than your present employer.

What an industry pays its workers has nothing to do with how strict the rules are which govern the workers or the penalties they might get for breaching them, but purely on supply and demand and the minimum wage, if an employer can get people for a low wage they’ll do that, you might not like it (I might not like it) but it’s what we have to work with, so play them at their own game and go after the best money you can.

McDonalds staff can demand what they like, they are all getting replaced by these things anyway…

kcrussell25:

Wortho:

I have been driving since last August and have had 4 infringements. 2 in my first couple of weeks while new to the job getting my head round it.

2 since due to being caught in accidents. Done my print offs and matter closed. A couple of times I parked up when the office wanted me to drive on but I wasn’t sure would make it so didn’t.

If you decide to drive to 4.29 or work until 14.59 you will get infringements as you will misjudge it sometimes. So don’t. Then park up sooner and tell the office it can’t be done/will be late.

The fact that we can be fined on a range of things if it’s not done properly ie not strapping your loads when there are a whole load of people who don’t strap all the time, not saying I’m perfect I get infringements, I just think it’s different worlds apart and there are people who are working there arse of driving for much a lower wage and the fact that wages differ in different parts of the country, all I’m getting is that we as lorry drivers don’t stick together, without us the country would collapse and we should be regarded as a vital industry

kcrussell25:

Wortho:

Here’s one: You drive, pull up at 4:29, and take a 45 straight away. The clock ticks over to 4:30 AFTER you’ve switched mode to break, and flashes at you…

Is there going to be an infringement? :confused:

Reef:
McDonalds staff can demand what they like, they are all getting replaced by these things anyway…

The machine might take you order and money, but I’ve yet to see one cook the food, bag it and hand it to you.

Winseer:
Here’s one: You drive, pull up at 4:29, and take a 45 straight away. The clock ticks over to 4:30 AFTER you’ve switched mode to break, and flashes at you…

Is there going to be an infringement? :confused:

No because you haven’t gone over 4 hours 30 minutes driving without a break.

Though I’m not quite sure what this has got to do with McDonald’s workers going on strike :smiley:

Wortho:

kcrussell25:

Wortho:

The fact that we can be fined on a range of things if it’s not done properly ie not strapping your loads when there are a whole load of people who don’t strap all the time, not saying I’m perfect I get infringements, I just think it’s different worlds apart and there are people who are working there arse of driving for much a lower wage and the fact that wages differ in different parts of the country, all I’m getting is that we as lorry drivers don’t stick together, without us the country would collapse and we should be regarded as a vital industry

We are far from the only industry where you can be fined for not doing your job properly. Do your job properly and don’t worry about others. If they get caught it will be their problem not yours.

I think a lot of jobs pay different in different areas. Again when I was in retail some shops got a location premium in expensive areas.

I think we are a vital industry, as are many others that the country couldn’t run without. Personally I think that there will always be low paid jobs because there will always be new passes needing a start for experience or people who have been naughty and have the wrong codes on their licence and can’t get jobs elsewhere. I don’t feel lorry driving is a hard job compared to 20 years ago. I know I wasn’t driving then but no sat nav, no phone and a manual gearbox would put a lot off. I started last year after being made redundant and my previous employer is doing another restructure and I know 2 people in my old shop alone who have said if they lose their job will learn to drive as its a quick and easy way to get a job on £30k a year. While there is plenty of supply wages will never go up.

I don’t know how long you have been driving but assuming that you have some decent experience try and get yourself a better job and then let everyone else worry about themselves.

kcrussell25:

Wortho:

It’s so good that you think tacho rules are the only rules we need to abide by .

chester1:

kcrussell25:

Wortho:

It’s so good that you think tacho rules are the only rules we need to abide by .

They were the example I picked as they are usually the big ones.

However if you choose not to do your checks, secure your load, follow wtd and other things that I have probably missed but can’t think of right now. You chose to do it. If you’re told not to by the office ignore them and do it or get a better job

kcrussell25:
I know 2 people in my old shop alone who have said if they lose their job will learn to drive as its a quick and easy way to get a job on £30k a year.

You’d get £30k per year at McDonald’s if you worked 65 hours a week… and sleep in your own bed every night.

muckles:

Reef:

The machine might take you order and money, but I’ve yet to see one cook the food, bag it and hand it to you.

Give it time, everything will be automated one day, of course these machines are only replacing the front ‘till’ staff but if/when McD’s can do away with the cooks/prep staff then they will.

kcrussell25:

Wortho:

kcrussell25:

Wortho:

We are far from the only industry where you can be fined for not doing your job properly. Do your job properly and don’t worry about others. If they get caught it will be their problem not yours.

I think a lot of jobs pay different in different areas. Again when I was in retail some shops got a location premium in expensive areas.

I think we are a vital industry, as are many others that the country couldn’t run without. Personally I think that there will always be low paid jobs because there will always be new passes needing a start for experience or people who have been naughty and have the wrong codes on their licence and can’t get jobs elsewhere. I don’t feel lorry driving is a hard job compared to 20 years ago. I know I wasn’t driving then but no sat nav, no phone and a manual gearbox would put a lot off. I started last year after being made redundant and my previous employer is doing another restructure and I know 2 people in my old shop alone who have said if they lose their job will learn to drive as its a quick and easy way to get a job on £30k a year. While there is plenty of supply wages will never go up.

I don’t know how long you have been driving but assuming that you have some decent experience try and get yourself a better job and then let everyone else worry about themselves.

I’m happy with the job I’m in thank you I’m
Just making a point that people who just start out with no experience should not be forced into these low paid jobs if they don’t get lucky with a well paid job, this industry is vetted way too much and as it is that should reflect on the pay, if we as drivers don’t stick together for something we will always be pushed over that’s why the low wages!!

Reef:

muckles:

Reef:

Give it time, everything will be automated one day, of course these machines are only replacing the front ‘till’ staff but if/when McD’s can do away with the cooks/prep staff then they will.

But they haven’t done away with the cooks/prep staff’ so there aren’t the machines available yet, so the staff can demand more money as they’re not all getting replaced in the foreseeable future.