MCD Car transporters

Anyone got any info on them? Good or bad

They do a lot of empty running Steve so if paid by the car will not be on a good wage. Why not try one of the bigger companies on the toyota contract if you want to go on the transporters.

I saw a couple of these over in Maastricht this week :confused:

They were running with peak trailers and could only carry 6 cars to keep within the 4.0 metre limit

You will probably see Auto Carriers aswell Malc as MCD have just bought them and sent a lot of there trucks over to Europe

What most truckers tend to forget is the “Low cabs” whilst tramping in the UK/Europe.

The work is also harder as you have to load/unload and are responsible for any damage that has not been pre-noted before loading.

Ossie

What most truckers tend to forget is the “Low cabs” whilst tramping in the UK/Europe.

It’s not a job for pretty boys. If you aren’t happy with not having the latest super / shiny / mega space cab, it’s not the job for you. However, as your non-driving working day is spent outside the cab, rather than climbing the walls for hours stuck on a bay in an RDC, it’s not as big a deal as you might think…

The work is also harder as you have to load/unload and are responsible for any damage that has not been pre-noted before loading.

And that’s why you tend to get paid better on transporters…

While we’re on the subject of car transporters, why do I see a lot with the cars loaded on backwards? Is there a reason or is it just how they end up?!

Depending on the size of the cars there are certain decks you have to reverse the cars on to, to get the load on and get your height down.

gardun:
While we’re on the subject of car transporters, why do I see a lot with the cars loaded on backwards? Is there a reason or is it just how they end up?!

It is all to do with the shape of the car and the height of the load. The planner, (load builder) will want as many vehicles on the truck as is possible. The driver then has to load the cars so he can keep the height of his vehicle under the limits.

It is normally in the drivers interest to get as many cars on too as many companies pay per car :stuck_out_tongue:

I was up at Borden army base last week,a transpoter driver turned up and I watched him unload from start to finish.It was a lovely day.
rather him than me though,I dont think I could have got my fluffy head around unloading that.and if it was ■■■■■■■ down with rain would of made it worse.

I’d like to do it but dont really fancy a wendy house on wheels.or doing the job in bad weather.I have the upmost respect for transporter drivers.I reckon Id damage more cars than i’d deliver :laughing: :laughing: