McBurnies Liverpool

Hi gents, a mate of mine is looking to apply for a job at mcburnies. Anyone know the pay rates, night out money and any other info would be appreciated.

They are on 7 quid an hour but get paid an extra 2 hours per day, so if they do 10 hours they get paid for 12. They also get a meal allowance but what that or the night out money is, I dont know. The job is very easy. Choose from days, nights or tramping away all week. A lot of new kit been added to the fleet recently too. Hourly rate isnt great but my mates who work there say the end of week wage is more than 500 take home pay.

Kerbdog:
They are on 7 quid an hour but get paid an extra 2 hours per day, so if they do 10 hours they get paid for 12.

How totally bizarre! I’ve never heard of anything remotely like that before. My first thought as I read it was “why don’t they just up the hourly rate and pay them hours worked?”. Then the cynic that lives in my head screamed “what about the guys who do 15 hours then?” And I realised that if you were foolish enough to work more than 13 hours you wouldn’t get paid the extra as they cannot pay more than your legal maximum shift time.

We’ve just been blessed with an ‘expert’ ex McBurneys employee - what a tool! Hope if you get the job I hope they are better than the one landed on us!

No overtime rate then?

fredthered:
We’ve just been blessed with an ‘expert’ ex McBurneys employee - what a tool! Hope if you get the job I hope they are better than the one landed on us!

No one will be good enough for you. Everyones a tool !! Stobarts, ex McBurnies…the list goes on !!!

the maoster:
“what about the guys who do 15 hours then?” And I realised that if you were foolish enough to work more than 13 hours you wouldn’t get paid the extra as they cannot pay more than your legal maximum shift time.

How do you work that out?
What you work, and what someone pays you for that are 2 totally different areas.

‘If’ we ever do a Saturday, (I cant be arsed, got my own life) we work 4 hours but it works out at 8 hours pay at O/T rate, Not that it matters what I got paid, I only worked 4 hours.

B1 GGK:

the maoster:
“what about the guys who do 15 hours then?” And I realised that if you were foolish enough to work more than 13 hours you wouldn’t get paid the extra as they cannot pay more than your legal maximum shift time.

What you work, and what someone pays you for that are 2 totally different areas.

‘If’ we ever do a Saturday, (I cant be arsed, got my own life) we work 4 hours but it works out at 8 hours pay at O/T rate, Not that it matters what I got paid, I only worked 4 hours.

He didn’t work anything out. He’s intimating that paying on a scheme as mention might lead drivers to do a little bit more than what was recorded. After all they are paying you (allegedly) two hours a day as a matter of course over your recorded time. If you where paid two hours a day over your time, would you feel inclined to do a bit extra? You don’t need to answer that question to me, but thats the gist of what he’s getting at.

B1 GGK:

the maoster:

Kerbdog said that whatever you work you get a low rate, but paid 2 hours extra. I pointed out that if you worked 15 you could only get paid 15 (at a low rate) so you aren’t benefitting by 2 hours extra pay there 'cos they can’t legally pay you anymore than that. They may on odd occasions pay over 15 hours ie stuck in traffic/breakdown etc, but try doing that 3 times a week and you’re gonna get some unwanted attention from above. You can bet your last pound that the planners know this too and exploit it to the maximum.

Edit to add; posted at the same time as Mike, maybe he’s as cynical as me but he got it in one.

A company can pay you whatever it likes, I have never seen a single piece of legislation that states LGV drivers cannot be paid more than 15 hrs a day.
Maybe you have, in which case please share it with the rest of us?

Without any evidence the Vostapo will be very hard pushed to convict someone of drivers hours offences. And being paid for 17 hrs is not sufficient evidence that a driver has broken any laws.

If the company wanted to be really ■■■■ about it they would just call it £14 a day bonus. End of argument then.

Does the extra 2 hours count for holiday pay purposes, so if paid at basic 40 hours thats ÂŁ280 gross for a week or ÂŁ56 for a bank hol day?

Even if that’s not the case, its another increasingly typical general haulage outfit that needs two weeks hours worked to earn one weeks pay.

No overtime or weekend enhancements?

Times is hard it appears. Least they’ll actually pay you though.

I used to work there a long time ago, it was another company. I still have friends who work there so I will find out what the rates are and come back to you?