Mcburney Liverpool

Just read a notice posted in Liverpool docks it apeared to be from a Mcburney driver in conjunction with unite the union.

Basically it outlays the drivers issues with the company (which is long!) and it calls on all drivers to attend a meeting this month. It has the full backing of the union so I hope as many drivers as poss attend.

Good luck to all concerned.

Strange, I can’t believe MCB is that bad to work for. Not that I know of course.

McBurney have quite a good reputation as employers.

Full of scousers! :laughing: they’ll turn up :sunglasses: militant lot! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: so THEY should as well, if the unions involved fair play! :smiley:

Suppose there’s always something to moan about, I mean how hard actually is fridge work, lol, “oh no, ive got to open the back doors again.” Aren’t they all poncing about in top liners, FH’s and Giga Worzels as well…

Silver_Surfer:
Suppose there’s always something to moan about, I mean how hard actually is fridge work, lol, “oh no, ive got to open the back doors again.” Aren’t they all poncing about in top liners, FH’s and Giga Worzels as well…

From what I understand their argument is more about the following:
How the company calculates holiday entitlement, being constantly pushed to the limit on driving hours, being spoken to like ■■■■ all the time.
No doubt that’s the tip of the iceberg. Don’t knock people untill you know the facts.

Well I don’t know about their holiday entitlement but your other 2 points, being pushed to the limit driving hours wise is fine as long as you don’t exceed those limits, the truck & the drivers need to earn their keep. I see nothing wrong with this. Tesco would be most unhappy if they got wind of any shenanigans on that front, believe.

Now, being spoken to in a nasty way is regrettable but if that’s how MCB choose to speak to their drivers either lump it or leave.

This isn’t a Disney movie, we’re all full grown, strapping lads. Would I put up with someone being mardy to me? Yes, if I had to, which I have had to on previous work from time to time, do I look for other work & then move on so I don’t have to listen to an ignorant cretin anymore? Yes, yes I do.

MCB is a stable job in tough times, they are solvent with decent work & decent kit, I presume the pay is average. I’d cut my cloth if I was there I think.

Thereal-john:

Silver_Surfer:
How the company calculates holiday entitlement, being constantly pushed to the limit on driving hours, being spoken to like [zb] all the time.
No doubt that’s the tip of the iceberg. Don’t knock people untill you know the facts.

sounds like stobrats. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: holidays are 5.6 weeks in the year = 20 plus 8 bank holidays ( rip off ) :laughing: hope they win :smiley: most of them probably get ran out of time on purpose = just like STOBRATS :unamused: and if you get spoken to LIKE A DRIVER, ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ SMACK THEM IN THE KISSER! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Not being funny Slimslow mate but 20 holiday days plus 8 bank holidays is the norm anywhere ain’t it?? Or are you being sarcastic? :confused: :wink: :smiley:

Sounds like trouble makers to me, I’ve worked out of there for years and was treated with nothing but respect by the transport staff but then again you get back what you put in. Have a lot of drivers there a long time so must be doing something right. Sure enough every now and then you have to do max hours but then again if you don’t like driving don’t become a trucker, overall good pay, good work, good plant and decent money. Some people should think themselves lucky to have a decent job.

sammy:
Some people should think themselves lucky to have a decent job.

I think the whole point of it is they don’t think they have.Or rather some of them don’t. And seeing as i’m from Liverpool too,i can remember when people where waiting to get on the lists for say…Fords…but i’ve never know such a list waiting to get on McBurneys. Not that i’m saying there’s anything wrong with them, i’m just pointing out they aint a model haulier that everyone would aspire to work for.

That’s fair enough Mike but Fords would be the pinnacle, dead men’s shoes job that no one can get on anyway.

MCB is a common all garden job, nothing more nothing less. No I couldn’t give a monkeys about MCB but I’m not sure I’d be getting the union involved about a fee non issues if I was there else they might just fowler welch it & ship a load of flip flops in who would bite their hand off!

Drivers this day and age don’t call for a mass meeting and get the union involved for nothing. I’m not saying anything bad about Mcburney but clearly all is not well, and all the drivers are doing is attempting to address a number of serious issues.

From what I understand the drivers have got some extremely valid points, I’m not going to post all of them on here for obvious reasons.

Good luck to all concerned, and lets hope the situation is resolved sooner rather than later. We all love to moan how down hill the job has gone in the past few years, but their are too few of us this day and age to take a stand.

Good luck boys!

Thereal-john:
How the company calculates holiday entitlement, being constantly pushed to the limit on driving hours, being spoken to like [zb] all the time.
No doubt that’s the tip of the iceberg. Don’t knock people until you know the facts.

It must just be me but I take a completely different view to some others that have posted replies :question:

When it comes to calculating holiday entitlements, these should not be subject to debate or interpretation as they form part of individual contracts of employment and as a minimum must meet statutory entitlements. The union will be fully aware of this and if the employer is in breach and failing to address the issue they would simply register an ET.

Being pushed TO the limit on drivers hours is what every business is likely to do in order to maximise profits and efficiency, its when they try to push beyond the limits that drivers need to stand up for themselves and simply refer the company back to the regulations.

Now when it comes to “being spoken to like [zb] all the time” I don’t agree that drivers should “drivers either lump it or leave”, why should they ■■ I try to meet, greet and treat everyone with whom I come into contact, with courtesy and respect and I feel I am entitled to expect the same in return. I don’t expect a gushing greeting but likewise I don’t expect rudeness or abuse and will challenge it when it comes.

That’s not by getting in someone’s face or responding across the yard with a similar tirade, instead it is done by calmly stating that I am treating them with respect and expect them to reciprocate. If they don’t then I will walk away and report it to my office. They have a duty of care towards me and I have no complaints in how they meet that duty of care. If we just put up with it then it will never change the behaviour of those who seek to take out their issues on us.

They appear to have a bit of previous:
unitetheunion.org/uploaded/d … 1-5246.pdf

Unite is seeking legal redress after two of Northern Ireland largest hauliers Woodside Haulage and McBurney’s Transport have failed to pay their drivers their full holiday pay entitlement.
Unite regional organiser Sean Smyth explained that Woodside Haulage and McBurney Transport have contravened the working time directive over many years by failing to pay drivers their average wage while on leave. “Unite members have rejected Woodside’s derisory single offer of £50 compensation and that full holiday pay will be honoured in future, while McBurney’s has refused to talk to the union reps and ignored all of Unite’s communications on the drivers grievance. “What the companies have done is illegal and they have robbed our members of hundreds of pounds.”