McBurney in Liverpool... Anyone know what they do/pay?

Anyone on here currently work or know someone that has worked for them in the past year? They’re about an hours drive from me so I’d be looking on doing nights out for them since my current employment has gone t*ts up.

An hour’s drive, they would have to pay very well.

Must be stuff closer Widnes. Lots of industry in Runcorn and Warrington…

idrive:

Has to be better than what I’m on now with xpo breaking my back doing Iceland work. I take home £80 a shift for doing 12 hours a night. There’s work up here if you want to work for stobart but unless you’ve got 2 years driving experience you’re stuck with either xpo, stobart or Mark Thompson.

Widnes to Sandhills is around 30-35 mins, deffo 30 mins off peak… not an hour.

NicholasFromWidnes:
Has to be better than what I’m on now with xpo breaking my back doing Iceland work. I take home £80 a shift for doing 12 hours a night.

Mate, that sounds horrific. I hope you get something sorted out

if your going to try mcburnies,the try surefrieght also.
you will still be just a bum in the seat,but they might pay a tad more?
if your down the docks,just look for the n.i. names,and call them,im not familier as to what they pay compared to others though they will all be much of a muchness and the runs would dictate your choice.
forget the subbies unless your cool about cracking on a bit.

NicholasFromWidnes:
Anyone on here currently work or know someone that has worked for them in the past year? They’re about an hours drive from me so I’d be looking on doing nights out for them since my current employment has gone t*ts up.

Try Clark Transport in West Bank, flat work on pallets, straight forward enough not a bad job tbh. Used to work there myself and still know most of the lads.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

NicholasFromWidnes:

idrive:

Has to be better than what I’m on now with xpo breaking my back doing Iceland work. I take home £80 a shift for doing 12 hours a night. There’s work up here if you want to work for stobart but unless you’ve got 2 years driving experience you’re stuck with either xpo, stobart or Mark Thompson.

Complete ■■■■■■■■. I have worked for every firm you mention. Iceland pay over £12 per hour, so your £80 per night is VERY questionable. As for two years experience, I could tell you of a dozen firms in Warrington & Widnes that take on new passes.

NicholasFromWidnes:

idrive:

£80 Per shift?! Not even the trackies would work for that,mate.

Where I used to work, there are two or three McBurnies in every evening loading groupage for next day delivery in N. Ireland.

It’s 13 an hour on nights via agencies.

Turn it in fella…you want us to believe you’re on £6.66 an hour? :open_mouth: theres a bit of an odd smell round here.

Not sure about Liverpool but I spoke to a McBurneys driver a year ago who worked at their Stranraer depot and lets just say they wont be in the running for top payer of the year!

My current wage at XPO is £8.92 p/h, after tax and NI it works out about £82 for the average 12 hour shift. After 90 shifts worked and if I pass my probation my hourly rate goes up 50p an hour then after 1 year it goes up by £1 to £9.92.

Mark Thompson pay £120 flat rate and always push you for 15 hours and if you tell them no they threaten you with the sack.

Mcburney is 30 mins away off peak but according to Google maps it’s an hour and 10 during the peak hours.

Not sure why some of you have taken to attack me for absolutely no reason. All I asked was how the conditions were at Mcburney.

The-Snowman:
Not sure about Liverpool but I spoke to a McBurneys driver a year ago who worked at their Stranraer depot and lets just say they wont be in the running for top payer of the year!

What’s considered a good wage though? I don’t understand this from some drivers because I only passed my test in January so I’ve been told that Stobart pay buttons but Great Bear pay loads when both sets of drivers take home exactly the same pay for the hours worked. Great Bear pay about a tenner an hour but that goes to 15 after 12 hours worked plus breaks are not paid so you’d have to be working 60 hour or more weeks just to take home a little bit more than a stobart driver would which makes it pointless.

NicholasFromWidnes:
My current wage at XPO is £8.92 p/h, after tax and NI it works out about £82 for the average 12 hour shift. After 90 shifts worked and if I pass my probation my hourly rate goes up 50p an hour then after 1 year it goes up by £1 to £9.92.

Mark Thompson pay £120 flat rate and always push you for 15 hours and if you tell them no they threaten you with the sack.

Mcburney is 30 mins away off peak but according to Google maps it’s an hour and 10 during the peak hours.

Not sure why some of you have taken to attack me for absolutely no reason. All I asked was how the conditions were at Mcburney.

Are you full time at Iceland or being drafted in by Xpo ? Never heard of anything like that at Iceland and I saw them advertising recently at £12.28 plus shift allowances etc

NicholasFromWidnes:

The-Snowman:

What’s considered a good wage though? I don’t understand this from some drivers because I only passed my test in January so I’ve been told that Stobart pay buttons but Great Bear pay loads when both sets of drivers take home exactly the same pay for the hours worked. Great Bear pay about a tenner an hour but that goes to 15 after 12 hours worked plus breaks are not paid so you’d have to be working 60 hour or more weeks just to take home a little bit more than a stobart driver would which makes it pointless.

Stobart deduct 45 mins per shift.

How much does Great Bear deduct?

I thought they’re on a salary and get their 12 hrs paid regardless. After that it’s overtime pay.

Personally I think you earn more at Great Bear and I would go for them. They seem a very good company and their drivers seem to be happy and never in a rush.

1FLEETRENEGADE:

NicholasFromWidnes:

Are you full time at Iceland or being drafted in by Xpo ? Never heard of anything like that at Iceland and I saw them advertising recently at £12.28 plus shift allowances etc

Not everyone’s on the same rate, depends on the market at the time. We’ve got guys on an absolute fortune who started 2 or 3 company take-overs ago and have kept their old contracts.

Someone recently retired from our place and I saw the advert for his replacement, with a rate above what I was on at the time. After offering to submit an internal transfer request, I got a pay rise out of it, on top of the annual %. In fact, I’ve just seen a competitor offer over £60 a week more for the same line of work and Ts & Cs. Tempted…

Also, not everyone’s on the same tax code. I’d be lucky to clear 75 quid for 12hrs at the OP’s rate… :open_mouth:

NicholasFromWidnes:

they were looking drivers for tramping work out of Ballymena and Stranraer and the figure being floated around was £630 / week into the bank - ie tax and insurance paid on top of that .
Fridges . box vans curtainsiders , euroliners , flats and stepframe flats - they have a few walking floors but thats a special job for the chosen few . We do work as subbies for them here in Northern Ireland running all over Ireland tipping and loading trailers and taking them to the ferry ports for shipping out to the UK .A lot of the time its drop a loaded trailer and lift an empty and keep going or drop an empty and lift a loaded one .
I don’t mind the work , you will be planned for a full card ie 10 hour drives 15 hour spread / 9hour drives 13 hour spread when you can but I’ve never had a problem when I’ve said I’m short of hours - alternatives will be found . Probably not the best out there but not the worst either - you could do a lot worse I’d imagine .
Rumours of bad manners from the traffic desks as the reason drivers won’t / don’t stay are doing the rounds but I’ve never had anything youd consider leaving a job over - thick skins and the ability to understand not everyones having a great day will take you a long way .

XPO are notoriously ■■■■■■■■ even work for Stobart before them!