Mays motors transport ltd

If anybody has any memories of Mays motors transport from elstead in Surrey , I have the sad news that my father Peter May passed away in a nursing home on Tuesday this week. He would have been 92 on 14 March. He spent the last three years in a home at Mullion over looking the sea.
He contracted a bad chest infection which lasted for about a week.
He will be missed by all.
If anyone has contact with any of our old team of drivers and staff perhaps you could pass on this sad news.
Kind regards, Andrew May

Sorry to hear that Andrew. I was familiar with Mays Motors as they ran through Reading (where I lived at the time) regularly with their Guy Invincible’s and Dennis Maxim’s. I think that somewhere on here is a thread about Mays?

Found it!! viewtopic.php?f=35&t=64563&hilit=mays+motors

Pete.

R.I.P Peter May.

ftw.jpg

andrewmay645:
If anybody has any memories of Mays motors transport from elstead in Surrey , I have the sad news that my father Peter May passed away in a nursing home on Tuesday this week. He would have been 92 on 14 March. He spent the last three years in a home at Mullion over looking the sea.
He contracted a bad chest infection which lasted for about a week.
He will be missed by all.
If anyone has contact with any of our old team of drivers and staff perhaps you could pass on this sad news.
Kind regards, Andrew May

Sorry to hear of your sad loss Andrew, Always thought your Dad ran a fleet of tidy motors. I saw them about quite a bit as I worked for John Bull Shipping in Godalming for a while.

RIP Peter May

All the very best
Mick B

Deepest condolences I can remember Mays Motors when they used to run in to the Boots depot in Aldershot in the 70s and sometimes into the nearby National Carriers depot

So sorry about your father Andrew. I worked at Mays in the sixties Your father was a lovely man. Always had time to talk if you had any problems. He will be very much missed by the many people who knew him and respected him. God bless Peter. RIP.Regards Charlie

Thank you for your replies,the old man would be very chuffed to be remembered.
I was able to. Collect him from Cornwall and bring him up for the London to Brighton run where he met VPG235G after John Doe had completed his restoration, it was a hell of a surprise to see it drive down Madeira Drive.
It’s many years now since our involvement in the transport industry,but he never left it really,quite a pioneer in his own way.
Many fond memories, often wonder if I could still drive a constant mesh gearbox quietly!
Kind regards to all
Andrew May

Hi Andrew,
Have only just seen your post about Peter. I am so sorry to hear the news, as you know I felt working for you & your dad at May’s formed a very large part of my life and you both taught
me so much that I have used in the rest of my working life. RIP Peter…

A while ago some photo’s of Mr Mays lorries were posted on another page on Trucknet. Unfortunately I cant remember who posted them but I hope he wont mind me re-posting this one as a tribute to Mr May. I think it might have been one of his drivers.

Didn’t Mays have some green scania p93 road trains and I could be wrong some road train man’s on with that German firm, can’t remember the name but white cab and blue body’s tinkermann or something, saw some down in fords at Valencia usually…!

Big Jules:
Didn’t Mays have some green scania p93 road trains and I could be wrong some road train man’s on with that German firm, can’t remember the name but white cab and blue body’s tinkermann or something, saw some down in fords at Valencia usually…!

If I remember correctly it was Westerman Jim Moody drove one. This was after my time on Mays. They carried light bulky loads. Regards Charlie. :laughing: :laughing:

That’s right, been a while so the memory has gone a bit…!