Maybe pcv thinking about it

could someone tell me i have class 2 … do you thin i would need full week of training or do you think you could do it in 3days :confused:

sorry about my spelling mistake :smiley:

Hi. I have trained on both for many years and I suggest that most class 2 drivers, without too much experience will crack PCV in around 8 - 10 hours. However, drivers with more experience can take longer due to “bad habits” which is ironic but fact.

Of course, there are exceptions both ways. A newish class 2 driver may not be very confident and may need more time. Equally, an experienced class 2 driver may maintain a high level of skill and need very little time.

I suggest you get your provisional D (if you haven’t already got it) and arrrange some assessment drives.

You will find the quality of training vehicle varies enormously particularly in this category so don’t settle for an old wreck where things don’t work properly - especially in the gearbox department. Most are mid or rear engine - giving a gear linkage of 20 or 40 feet. If not maintained properly, it will not behave and could easily cost you a test.

Good luck with your search, Pete :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thanks peter i dont where we would be on this forum without you :smiley:

Did you tick D when you applied for your LGV provisional last year I think it was?

If you did not tick D then no worries because the D4 medical you did for C will still count as it is valid for 12 months when using it for this purpose - GET IN QUICK if you did not tick the D2 form for the D provisional

I got this info direct from DVLA MEDICAL ON 0300 790 6807

Once you have passed all 4 PCV modules you will get a DQC and then it gets interesting in regards to LGV & PCV expiry dates depending on your situation -
DCPC aquired rights for LGV
or
Passsed initial LGV modules 2 & 4
:question: :question:

Also i’m i in thinking you get two licences for the price of one…if you got c you can take a pcv in an automatic and when pass it becomes a manual as well?

rearaxle:
Also i’m i in thinking you get two licences for the price of one…if you got c you can take a pcv in an automatic and when pass it becomes a manual as well?

Spot on

Then pass CE and get DE for free

ROG:

rearaxle:

Spot on

i don’t think that’s quite right, if you pass pcv in a auto surely you will only have an auto pcv licence.

mucker85:

ROG:

rearaxle:

Spot on

i don’t think that’s quite right, if you pass pcv in a auto surely you will only have an auto pcv licence.

Not if you already hold a manual truck licence - this will automatically give you a manual pcv even if taken in an auto :smiley:

And if you already have your PCV (D) Auto and take your C in a manual, then your D auto becomes D full :wink:

This is the route I took. I didn’t know about the D & C taking the CE gave me a DE though!

ROG:
Spot on

Does it matter the order that you take them? Ie if I now take my D after passing my CE does it convert D to DE?

It’s true if you passed your HGV test in a manual vehicle and do your PCV in a automatic you automatically recieve the right to drive manual PCV ( I know cos that’s what happened to me ) and yes you automatically recieve D+E if you have C+E.

Scott

Not worth it just now, no PCV work at this time of year, mind you having it doesn’t make the difference - using it does.

I’ve got a C1 and been driving for on 5 years now, sat my PCV a year ago and passed with 2 minors with 5 hours driving, 2 of that was the test.

So, it can be easily done. A bus is just a truck with smaller mirrors.

stagedriver:
So, it can be easily done. A bus is just a truck with smaller mirrors.

And more annoying speakers :stuck_out_tongue:

Having the front axle a bit further back than normal coupled with shorted wheelbase for a full length vehicle it does make it a bit more interesting to manoeuvre :wink:

I was told during training that if there wasn’t any street furniture in the way (including pedestrian’s etc of course!) then I could use the swing at the front over the pavement. Made life a bit easier on some of the tight junctions we had :smiley:

Of course, I was lucky when I passed my PCV Auto, I didn’t have any restrictions meaning it was in effect a full manual. However, I don’t actually think I got to drive any manual box bus/coaches until I got my C anyway. But even so.

The company that I trained with were insistent that I get it updated until another driver sent his licence in to get points removed and lost all of his entitlements down to below B!

But it is good news about the CE/DE situation. Not that I’d probably need to use it but anyway! :smiley:

Hello mate
Bus licence eh lol well had mine about 15 yrs now I passed in an old Bristol back loader that was interesting lol and to be honest i would not waste money getting it nowadays …the only real diffrence is that on a bus you press a button and the load walks off /if your on a servise bus you get constant winging like YOUR LATE :angry: / can you stop and let me off hear / and worst off all the school run … :open_mouth: …but if you do go for it keep your eyes on the job sites as Contiki hollidays normaly start advertising for drivers about Feb/March for the season in europe based in Belgium … :smiley: stay clear of National Express unless your a Race driver .
All the best mate whatever you do :smiley:

Yeah, the rates locally for coach drivers are low than truck rigid drivers around here! I’ve done a bit here and there within the agency had had me out for LGV work as well as PCV but it can be a stressful job, more than trucking…