Maybe a daft one?

Maybe a silly question but here goes
Was pulling a double deck tonite and as a rule of thumb if a bridge is marked avoid it,
Now here’s the question
Was going from Darlington to Teesport via A66 and spotted a low bridge sign, obviously a*rse started twitching but then noticed it was 17ft 8in ■■?
Why would this be forwarned■■? I thought 16ft 6 at min before it’s classed as a low bridge

As I said maybe obvious but baffled me ■■

Its on the high load route for abnormal loads, just before it is a gate to the left to join the side road that is opened for high loads to avoid the bridge, its there as warning for the ab load guys that this is the gate to use.

All round the country there are authorised high load routes and even on them there are some restrictions, so bridges on a high load route will show maximum height which will be above the 16’6’’ norm

maybe it looks low or maybe long a go
some work was done nearby and they had very high equipment moving about

i’m almost sure there is another one somewhere around Thetford that is signed much higher than 16’ 6"

Cheers fellas was thinking on the right lines then,maybe a popular trunk for abnormal loads just not seen it before

shuttlespanker:
i’m almost sure there is another one somewhere around Thetford that is signed much higher than 16’ 6"

your on the ball there Rob, there is a footbridge on the old A11 marked up at 20ft.00
i got it on google to put it on here but i cant get it on, so look on google, London Road Thetford, its just to the right of Kimms Belt. The eastbound sign is dirty so look at thr westbound sign.

kindle530:

shuttlespanker:

your on the ball there Rob, there is a footbridge on the old A11 marked up at 20ft.00
i got it on google to put it on here but i cant get it on, so look on google, London Road Thetford, its just to the right of Kimms Belt. The eastbound sign is dirty so look at thr westbound sign.

i thought it was 20’ but, didn’t want to make myself look like an arse by getting it wrong :wink:

this one :slight_smile:

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=london … 24,0,5.01

one in mk, marked at 118ft I think

Cruise Control:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

shuttlespanker:
this one :slight_smile:

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=london … 24,0,5.01

thus the bunny!

One near London City Airport on A112 at 17’ something, it is a swing bridge I believe.

Cruise Control:

Now THATS what I call a clearence :laughing: